Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327550 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ps3 Rpg outlook?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ps3 Rpg outlook?  (Read 3631 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 07:53:19 AM »

Grandia III's nearly a year old, and didn't have the best reception. Combine that with RPGs not being too popular, and it's no wonder it's in that price range. .hack//GU on the other hand is a bit more surprising.

As for the 3rd party thing: While stranger has happened (like Sony coming in and dominating the industry in the first place), I think that's a worst/best case scenario, depending on who you ask. Personally, I just think there might not be quite as strong of 3rd party support as this or the previous generations, but it'll definitely be there, and it'll definitely still go strong. Personally, that's what I'm really hoping for: I'd like to have lineups of games I want/am interested in of roughly equal size on the PS3/Wii/X360, or at least the first two. It kinda sucked to have had the GC and XBox have paltry lineups and be left flat out unused for long periods of time, plus with the gap between the PS3 and the Wii, it'd be nice to have a good selection of offbeat, or at least differently controlled games, and more traditional stuff.
Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

well my mom is getting my Grandia 3 and .Hack\\G.U. tonight so thats fine with me, but some guy has been buying them up like crazy, probably going to sell them on ebay or something. I am still shocked though at Grandia 3's price even for clearance its rare you see a Rpg in the caliber of the Grandia series to sell for so low evne today.... then again I have been seeing Kingdom Hearts 2 seel as low as $25 new in some stores.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »

Personally, I think the 360 has the best upcoming lineup of RPGs at the moment.  Blue Dragon (the Japanese version has been getting great reviews so far), Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, and Infinite Undiscovery all look incredible & from Western developers you also have Mass Effect & Bioshock (spiritual sequel to System Shock 2, one of the best games of all time).  What's more, almost all of these games should be coming out next year whereas I'm guessing most of the PS3 & Wii RPGs that have been announced will show up in 2008.  With such a long delay before the PS3 RPGs start showing up, I daresay that many of them will end up being multiplatform affairs, especially if all the PS3 naysayer's predictions come true.

On the other hand, you can't discount the DS.  The announcement that DQ9 will be a DS exclusive is humongous news that should result in the system getting substantially more RPG support than it has so far.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »

It doesn't seem Toys R Us online or anywhere else for that matter is carrying .hack for as low as you say you've found it, so that might be why some guy is buying them up like hotcakes.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »

I'm with Duck on this one.

I mean seriously, six hundred dollars to play a Final Fantasy game?

Fuck no.

Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 06:21:39 AM »

Well Thanks for all the input about the outlook, it has been a while since checked around for upcoming games so that has helped out.

I do have a bit of follow up news about Grandia 3 which is very odd but does happen. Seems the copy of Grandia 3 my mom put aside for me to buy was empty, no dvds at all and no booklet. At first we thought it was a dummy case that some idiot seasonal personal labled wrong, well turns out it had a barcode and all and no "for display only" in the corner so its a first for me encounter something from the manafactuer where they forgot to place any dvds in the case lol. well least my mom will get money back if her Toy's R Us doesn't have anymore copies left, but I'm sure the other Toys R Us where she goes to pick up stuff for her work will have it. Either way that was very strange.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"

Fuck no.
You only have to pay $500 like I just recently did.  The 20GB model gives you everything you need (you only pay $600 if you want extra stuff).

I think Xbox 360 will initially have the edge in JRPGs, but it will turn out like the Dreamcast (Xbox 360 won't die off like the Dreamcast, but I could see next to no third party RPGs coming to it after a while).  PS3 and Wii will have about the same number.  PS3 will have the ones that require impressive graphics, while the Wii will probably have 2-D or different RPGs.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 02:58:50 AM »

Quote from: "Mana Knight"
Quote from: "Losfer"

Fuck no.
You only have to pay $500 like I just recently did.  The 20GB model gives you everything you need (you only pay $600 if you want extra stuff).

Possibility of extra cables
Taxes
Price of the actual game itself

Combine those, maybe even more if we see more of this "LOL HORSE ARMOR" crap, you could easily top $600.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »

I've heard various rumblings of a new Shin Megami Tensei for PS3 (which guarantees I'll eventually get one) and whichever system Suikoden VI is on will be purchased by me.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 10:46:03 AM »

...Why has this topic been revived after months of inactivity?  Looks like Mr. Ten Posts A Second New Guy didn't read what's at the very top of these forums.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

Nothing in the rules says I can't revive a topic.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 12:20:26 PM »

Well damn, I guess I was dreaming when I wrote:

Reviving Dead Topics
If a conversation has played itself out already, don't try to kick it back to life. If a topic hasn't been posted in for a month or more, consider it D.O.A.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: