Author Topic: Maxx vs Grandia II - First Imperessions Journal

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Maxx vs Grandia II - First Imperessions Journal
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 10:09:46 PM »
Eugh, I hate jiggle physics.  Not only because it barely looks realistic but games can HARDLY handle clipping and making clothes move in a convincing way...BUT WE SURE AS SHIT MADE TITS BOUNCE.

Citing that you forgot the name of the city you were going to had me 'lol' for real. x)

If "Fight!!! Ver. 2" is the ambush battle theme then I agree, it rocks ass.

GOD I LOVE READING ABOUT THIS GAME, I may cave and buy it again.... but I should finish the first game too.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 12:38:18 AM »
Glad you're enjoying it :) Good luck getting the "X marks the spot" achievement though, the button is missing :)

mayhaps I'll wait for a patch. :)

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:23 AM »
GOD I LOVE READING ABOUT THIS GAME, I may cave and buy it again.... but I should finish the first game too.

Happy you're enjoying the journal :)
It's good fun, and has a pretty fantastic battle system.

Glad you're enjoying it :) Good luck getting the "X marks the spot" achievement though, the button is missing :)

mayhaps I'll wait for a patch. :)

You didn't have to wait very long, the patch is out :)

- Fix for X button being re-mappable in Launcher Input tab for keyboard & gamepad
- Fix for X button correctly zooming camera out when button is held down during battle attack state
- Fix for X button toggling camera angle when AI is turned on during battle
- Fix for X button toggling Full details on Save screen
- Fix for X button toggling Next page on Items screen
Full patch notes here

According to an achievement site I looked up, the button must have been somewhere on the keyboard because people already triggered "X marks the spot" in late August. Looks like it didn't do anything else until now. Not a big deal, I barely even noticed it was missing, but it's nice to have none the less :)

Glad GungHo are putting in the effort to make this a decent port and not just a lazy cash grab.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:50:31 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »

Last we left off, Ryudo, Elena and the talking bird were about to set off on their grand adventure. After a mostly uneventful romp through the mountains, occasionally interrupted by a swashbuckling session with indigenous wildlife, the not so merry party of two set up camp. Thanks to what can only be described as some unspoken form of rural magic (or in other words "game logic"), Ryudo erects one behemoth of a tent. After a short spat and finding out Ryudo has no intention of doing the gentlemanly thing and sleeping outside, Elena elects to spend the night under the stars. I don't really see a problem, if sharing a room was too awkward, she could have slept on the second floor.
Oddly enough Millenia doesn't show up and the night goes by without anyone trying to rudely murder the duo. Ryudo ends up taking a nap in the open as well, but not before delivering the "why am I so mean" speech. Unsurprisingly, Elena overhears his heartfelt confession from the comfort of her rock bed, and hence forth adopts a somewhat warmer disposition towards the sour Geohound.
Finally, the two make it down the mountain and march into a thriving metropolis that marks their first stop (that doesn't involve the miracle tent). Well, when I say thriving, I mean dead. Apparently some naughty monsters decided to leave the confines of their cave and frolic about town, leaving it in ruins and mostly uninhabitable. Acting as a crossroads of sorts, it was once a popular tourist location. Currently though, it's only permanent residents are a handful of soldiers and one particularly stubborn innkeeper. As it turns out, the gentleman running the inn is a retired Geohound and an old acquaintance of Ryudo. Catching up is cut short as a heated argument between the other guests steals our attention. The party in question consisting of a slick man, spunky woman, creepy musician, a burly gentleman with a giant fork on his back and an annoying blond kid. It's a jRPG folks, so guess which of the five is joining our party in the not so distant future. Apparently, the kid lost something dear to him and getting it back involves meeting the cuddly creatures that toppled the town. After failing to convince his companions the boy desperately turns to Ryudo. Being the kind and caring soul that he is, Ryudo turns the lad down cold, much to the dismay of Elena. With that out of the way, Elena scoffs down some berries and unwittingly gets herself completely and utterly wasted. With Elena sleeping soundly in her room Ryudo ventures off to his, apparently to prepare for some monster stomping. Awww, turns out mr.cranky does care, though he vigorously denies it. That's when Millenia decides to barge in unannounced, emerging from a sudden case of "indoor tornado". She then attempts to woo Ryudo with her charms, once again immobilizing the man, just in case he doesn't appreciate her advances. This is where things start to get a little uncomfortable... Lets assess the situation. She made him stiff, and we already know that he's sporting a giant tent somewhere in that outfit. It's just a shame this playthrough isn't on hard mode, or the joke would be complete.
Freud would be proud...
Alas, the awkward flirting comes to an end as worried voices coming from outside break the "romantic" mood. Apparently the lad went on his own. No problem! Ryudo and Millenia set off to find young Roan.
Wait, what?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:41:08 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
I said I would be keeping up with this, but then completely forgot until today, so I just binged through everything you'd written, and I'm really enjoying this! It's been too long since I last played this. I've only ever played the terrible PS2 port too but I still adore this game. Thanks for helping me relive it a little earlier than I intended.

*listens to the entire Grandia 2 soundtrack again*

Eugh, I hate jiggle physics.  Not only because it barely looks realistic but games can HARDLY handle clipping and making clothes move in a convincing way...BUT WE SURE AS SHIT MADE TITS BOUNCE.

Nothing annoys me more than jiggle physics for this precise reason. Get you grass animation right first, at least.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
RE: ridiculous jiggle physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h87JSL9nbbU

Sorry for the hijack. Just couldn't help myself.  >:)

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
...well.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Always the second thing I think of when anyone mentions "jiggle physics".
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »

I usually get like that with steak too.  Minus the scandellous clothes and sexy voice.  I'm probably more like a boar.  ... :(

She then attempts to woo Ryudo with her charms, once again immobilizing the man, just in case he doesn't appreciate her advances. This is where things start to get a little uncomfortable... Lets assess the situation. She made him stiff, and we already know that he's sporting a giant tent somewhere in that outfit. It's just a shame this playthrough isn't on hard mode, or the joke would be complete.
Freud would be proud...
Alas, the awkward flirting comes to an end as worried voices coming from outside break the "romantic" mood. Apparently the lad went on his own. No problem! Ryudo and Millenia set off to find young Roan.
Wait, what?
[/center]

Fuck Freud, you aroused my attention with this cocky bit!

I remember loving the romance in this game back when I was a teenaged girl.  Let me know if it holds up!

And yeah the dungeons were pretty lacklustre in this game.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »
Millenia > Elena. In battle and in love.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »

Tio > anything else

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »

Tio > anything else

totally agree. Outside of Ryudo she's the best character.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »

Tio > anything else

Shame she doesn't share the HP of her boss counterpart. >:(

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 07:54:50 AM »

Tio > anything else

Shame she doesn't share the HP of her boss counterpart. >:(

She hardly needs it though. With the right set up Tio easily gets an average of 2 to 2.5 turns in the same span as both enemies and allies with 4 hits per turn. Plus an Evasion/Move rate that makes Yuki's Flash look like a gentle breeze.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 04:14:25 AM »
The credits just rolled on this one. Grandia II has one heck of a closing segment. After the final boss kissed the world goodbye there was still at least a good 20 minutes of closure and wrapping up :)
For anyone that enjoyed this writeup. I intend to finish it one day, especially since hard mode is still squinting in my direction and calling me names. In the meantime, keep an eye out for a review! :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:19:17 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you