Author Topic: Maxx vs Grandia II - First Imperessions Journal

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Maxx vs Grandia II - First Imperessions Journal
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 10:43:29 AM »
After the final boss kissed the world goodbye there was still at least a good 20 minutes of closure and wrapping up :)

Every game needs this.  After spending 50+ hours with these characters, let me frickin say goodbye properly!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:05 AM »
It was 35hours for me, but I needed to get moving because it was taking me way longer than expected. I actually thought I beat the game after battling the core.
Not counting a ridiculously overpowered ba-boom that wiped out my entire party in the extra zone, fighting the core was the closest I came to getting a game over, with only Elena left standing at one point.
It was 2am and I thought I was finally done... Then the boss gauntlet happened.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
After the final boss kissed the world goodbye there was still at least a good 20 minutes of closure and wrapping up :)

Every game needs this.  After spending 50+ hours with these characters, let me frickin say goodbye properly!

Totally.  I hate short ending.

Besides a small difficulty spike at the end, I always remember Eyes of Valmar being the worst in the game.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

FFVII might be the worst-ever offender here (in JRPGs, anyways, correct me if there is a worse one).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 06:56:35 AM »

FFVII might be the worst-ever offender here (in JRPGs, anyways, correct me if there is a worse one).

Not technically a jRPG, but Takeshi's challenge comes to mind :)
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »

I don't see why the "lenght" matters. Usually it's more about people who are pissed off when they don't get to see everyone marry each other or something to that extent.

That said, I do like how Grandia II has that "playable" section after final boss. Though it's not something I wish to see in every game, but it's nice sometimes.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
It's not really about the length, but quality of closure. After spending multiple hours with these characters, you want to see their story come to a proper end rather than having the boss fall and credits roll.
Dragging it out too much isn't a good thing either, but that rarely happens.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »
This "quality of closure" can be at least two things: 1) fulfilling the creators vision or 2) fulfilling players wishes. Might even be that the ending is completely irrelevant or you choose one you like, or several, if something like that's available. Might also be that the character arcs were already done before the big bad, which usually seems to be the case. Anyway, if the purposea and execution are obviously different, I rather not compare things.