Author Topic: Developers vs Publishers (whose game is it anyway?)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Developers vs Publishers (whose game is it anyway?)
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
I've actually been wondering this for a long time.  What is the biggest determining factor when considering which company is most responsible for a game?  

Ok, that was awkwardly worded.  

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think of the developer or the publisher first when deciding if a game is "their's"...

Nope still horribly worded...

How about I just give you all a few examples instead.  

Dragon Quest is considered a (Square)Enix series.  Enix was almost exclusively a publisher. The series has been developed by Arte Piazza, Chunsoft, and Level-5 among others.  So that would lead me to believe that the Publisher is the one I should be looking at.

But then what about Xeno?  That's unequivocally a Monolith series.  But Monolith is a Developer.  So the series has been consequently published by Namco and Nintendo.

Oi.

This kind of thing happens all the time.  It reminds me a lot of the writer/director/producer dynamic in movies where it's hard to pinpoint who exactly is in control (and who to blame/praise for the finished product) unless you get a Tarantino situation where he's in charge of all 3 (Something that ALSO happens in the game industry).

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:15:53 PM by Tooker »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Developers vs Publishers (who's game is it anyway?)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
I think with Dragon Quest we should be looking at Yuji Horii specifically. Similarly, Xeno is Tetsuya Takahashi.

TOSE is a good company to look at. Do we consider Dragon Quest Monsters theirs? Lightning Returns? Probably not, but we do consider Legendary Starfy theirs.

I guess it's a case by case basis, ultimately.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »
I would consider the developer the one more responsible for the game (flaws and all). It just might sometimes be easier to attribute the game to the publisher if the publisher is better known or owns the rights to the IP even though the developer is more likely responsible for the game's strengths and weaknesses.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »
I never liked the concept of publishers being different from developers. Monolith was a good example there, as because they were pressured to release their game by their publisher, we got Xenogear's second disc of horrific shit. Being a publisher just makes you a money hungry asshole to developers, but being both like the current SE seems to be mostly a blessing and maybe a tiny bit of a curse. No deadlines to follow (or more specifically, unrealistic ones), no secondary input about ways to generate more revenue by cutting and piecing content together for dlc, just the company trying to make something that will sell well and please fans, which will make them more money.

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Developers vs Publishers (whose game is it anyway?)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
Kickstarter has been an interesting view into what things might be like with less pressure from a publisher. What I've taken from it is that a great deal of the time, publishers are a necessary evil, because a lot of game developers have no idea how to budget or organize things.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »
I never liked the concept of publishers being different from developers. Monolith was a good example there, as because they were pressured to release their game by their publisher, we got Xenogear's second disc of horrific shit. Being a publisher just makes you a money hungry asshole to developers, but being both like the current SE seems to be mostly a blessing and maybe a tiny bit of a curse. No deadlines to follow (or more specifically, unrealistic ones), no secondary input about ways to generate more revenue by cutting and piecing content together for dlc, just the company trying to make something that will sell well and please fans, which will make them more money.
Eh Monolith has nothing to do with Xenogears...alright that isn't entirely true. Monolith did not exist at the time Xenogears was released as it was essentially created by the core members of the Xenogears team after Xenogears was released (many assume because of disc 2). Xenogears was developed entirely in house by Square.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
Eh Monolith has nothing to do with Xenogears...alright that isn't entirely true. Monolith did not exist at the time Xenogears was released as it was essentially created by the core members of the Xenogears team after Xenogears was released (many assume because of disc 2). Xenogears was developed entirely in house by Square.
You're right, my bad.

TASTY!