Author Topic: Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita

Lard

• View Profile
Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
New Saga game, apparently Vita only.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:08:50 AM »
YAY NOT MOBILE.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:36:24 AM »
I really hope this gets localized. But even if it doesn't, I'm happy this is a thing that's happening. The world needs more of Kawazu's weirdness.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:13:37 AM »
Yay. A title.

Lets hope there's something a little more substantial shown during TGS.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »
PLEASE localize, S-E! I'll buy it twice!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
I'm 100% behind any support that's thrown the Vita's way.  It's the gaming industry's most confusing pariah and will be fondly remembered once it's gone.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
And as I said elsewhere, I'm liking the fact that SaGa and games of that style are getting some love lately.  A new SaGa, Legend of Legacy (can't wait for the demo), Celestian Tales: Old North (loved the demo, debating on splurging the 12 bucks for part 1 or just waiting till all 3 parts are up for grabs and get the bundle).  SaGa could be considered a confusing pariah among JRPGs, but I fondly remember SaGa Frontier.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:51:46 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
Has anyone played any of the Super Famicom SaGa games? I've always wondered if they were any good.
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
Has anyone played any of the Super Famicom SaGa games? I've always wondered if they were any good.

I've played a little bit of the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa 1 (though I didn't get too far due to running into a bug).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
I'm down for more SaGa. I'm way behind on the series, though. Might pop one of them in, soon...as in a couple of minutes from now...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »

I've played a little bit of the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa 1 (though I didn't get too far due to running into a bug).

What bug? I didn't know Minstrel Song had a major bug in it.

That remake of RS1 is a masterpiece IMO. I also think the SaGa Frontiers were good. I really want to play RS2 and RS3 ... and if they don't come to the US in another five years I might finally fan-trans through them, as I have done with Seiken Densetsu 3, LiveALive, and other underappreciated Square classics.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »

What bug? I didn't know Minstrel Song had a major bug in it.

That remake of RS1 is a masterpiece IMO. I also think the SaGa Frontiers were good. I really want to play RS2 and RS3 ... and if they don't come to the US in another five years I might finally fan-trans through them, as I have done with Seiken Densetsu 3, LiveALive, and other underappreciated Square classics.

Could've been something with my disk. Either way, I tried to advance to Mirsaberg or Yeoville but the game just froze on me every time I tried. I forget the exact details, but mostly because I'm tired and its been several months since my last attempt at playing the game.

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:40:56 AM »
RS2 is in fan-translation hell; it's one of those games that's encoded so weirdly that changing one line of dialogue breaks the entire game. Gideon Zhi's been working on it for nearly a decade now and this is his latest screenshot:

So yeah, I hope SE releases it in English in an official capacity!

Romancing SaGa 3 is probably one of Square's finest 16-bit RPGs. The SaGa games have a reputation for being B-tier in terms of budget and visuals, but RS3 is on par with FF6. It looks, sounds and plays beautifully, and there's so much to do and so many characters. There's a fat Zorro expy, there's a lobster man named Boston. Easily one of my favorite games. This series deserves more love.

Aeolus, sad to say but it sounds like you've got a bum disc. :( I've sunk a hundred hours into the RS1 remake and never encountered any freezes.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Probably not due to being yet another emulated ROM dump. That's the problem when nobody bothers to archive their code or production materials.

The above screenshot is what happens when programmers also don't bother doing sensible things like keeping displayed text all in one place, use text code instead of just creating the characters wholesale as images or denote where line breaks are or where the hard limit of text boxes was programmed in (so that you don't run into issues of needing to insert a fourth or fifth text box in a cutscene that is specifically designed to only display three; no more, no less), among a myriad of other issues that takes years to deal with because none of these games were made with non-Japanese audiences in mind on top of being wordy as fuck.

And that's only the technical issues....

On the bright side, at least there's somebody still working to release a functional fanslation of RS2. Many fanslations either just bow out or disappear up their own asses when faced with the above or worse.