Author Topic: Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Probably not due to being yet another emulated ROM dump. That's the problem when nobody bothers to archive their code or production materials.

The above screenshot is what happens when programmers also don't bother doing sensible things like keeping displayed text all in one place, use text code instead of just creating the characters wholesale as images or denote where line breaks are or where the hard limit of text boxes was programmed in (so that you don't run into issues of needing to insert a fourth or fifth text box in a cutscene that is specifically designed to only display three; no more, no less), among a myriad of other issues that takes years to deal with because none of these games were made with non-Japanese audiences in mind on top of being wordy as fuck.

And that's only the technical issues....

On the bright side, at least there's somebody still working to release a functional fanslation of RS2. Many fanslations either just bow out or disappear up their own asses when faced with the above or worse.

oh lord... those screens.  

WA2 has a hack translation job, but that'd be putting down a lot of good efforts by a lot of good groups then xD
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:04:58 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »
Yeah, I've been following aeon genesis' translation for...what seems like forever!

I love Frontier 2 - maybe not love, but like a lot. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and it's got that dreamy Legend of Mana feel to it. Obviously, I rate the FFL games very high >.>

I just realized how much I'm obsessed with JRPG boss dialogue - I'll have to start a thread on it haha
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think it was ported to DoCoMo only. I hope I'm wrong though!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
Yeah, I've been following aeon genesis' translation for...what seems like forever!

I love Frontier 2 - maybe not love, but like a lot. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and it's got that dreamy Legend of Mana feel to it. Obviously, I rate the FFL games very high >.>

I just realized how much I'm obsessed with JRPG boss dialogue - I'll have to start a thread on it haha

Admittedly, its hard to tell whether that's Ashura from SaGa Legend 1 or Ashura from SaGa Legend 2. You kinda meet him in the exact same goddamn hallway in both games.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
So! The final JRPG that dropped off the page, I've been looking at recently... basically this neverending mobile/handheld/comparison thingy is winding down to it's conclusion. You have to admire the way the JRPGs splintered even harder than they did in the PS1 era, what with approximately 5-6 systems in contention for your favored JRPG of choice.

That said, Saga is about as definitive as it gets, I haven't seen anything more about this game, although I did read that the "character designs are completed" which is pretty nice.

It's weird because I feel like still don't know the style, it looks to be kind of a flashy version of the basic saga style, not really watercolory or anything too specific or different.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/saga-scarlet-grace-news-due-around-tgs-2016

Just be patient, mein frau. All shall be revealed in due time...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »
Hopefully Scarlet Grace gets a Western release. 

I know Romancing SaGa 2 was released on iOS back in May, but how many people are going to shell out $18 bucks for it?  A part of me thinks that in order to get Scarlet Grace, we need to speak with our wallets and show that SaGa is viable by purchasing RoSaGa 2 iOS and letting the sales numbers do the talking that there is a market out there for the series.  But $18 bucks... Square Enix totally price gouges their iOS games and that's not something people want to support.  I'd love to try RoSaGa 2 iOS, but I don't particularly want to pay $18 for it, especially since there doesn't seem to be a demo so I can try it out. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
Vita release of RomSaG2 is getting a western release, anyways....we just gotta patient.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the WSC remake of the first SaGa and the DS remakes of 2 & 3. Didn't care much for the Frontier games, though, with their countless points of no return that could render them unbeatable.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »
Yeah it'll come west.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
has there been confirmation on composer(s) for this yet?

I'm assuming it'll be a makeup similar to RS Minstrel Song and Imperial SaGa ... Ito at the helm, a bunch of other cool people making things awesome along the way (Kamikura I LUV U!).

That's just based on what I've heard in 'dem trailers. I've not read any confirmations beyond mentions of Ito.

And here I was hoping for a messy (but interesting) Ito+Hamauzu collaboration!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 06:02:48 AM »
has there been confirmation on composer(s) for this yet?

I'm assuming it'll be a makeup similar to RS Minstrel Song and Imperial SaGa ... Ito at the helm, a bunch of other cool people making things awesome along the way (Kamikura I LUV U!).

That's just based on what I've heard in 'dem trailers. I've not read any confirmations beyond mentions of Ito.

And here I was hoping for a messy (but interesting) Ito+Hamauzu collaboration!

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/saga-scarlet-grace-introduces-main-characters-systems

Sadly, no composer deets yet, but we do have some other deets. Being likened to SaGa Frontier in style being one of them and Main Character profiles are another.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
What little gameplay there is in the trailer looks strange. I'd wager this looks like it's going to have more in common with Unlimited SaGa than Romancing SaGa.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »
Here's the thing.  I feel like Unlimited SaGa could have been good with a better manual or tutorials or any sort of explanatory exposition.  It's like trying to play a complicated board game without knowing the rules and there is no expert player there to kinda help walk you through the rules.  Unlimited SaGa is not a "pick-up-and-play" type of game. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:11:34 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun