Author Topic: 13 Sentinels: Vanillaware's Necro'd 2D Mecha Action

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Sentinels: Vanillaware's Necro'd 2D Mecha Action
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
It's E3. Have a trailer. http://gematsu.com/2017/06/13-sentinels-aegis-rim-e3-2017-teaser-trailer
Huh when I started watching that it looked like it was just going to be the announcement trailer, but there were a couple of new scenes in there.

Taking a few things from the two trailers together, I wonder if the 13 Sentinel slightly changes configuration based on who is piloting it? In first trailer there was an image with three girls, each with a different looking mech behind them (easy to tell they were different because of head/cockpit position). The key art seems to indicate that there are 13 characters you will be interacting with in a major capacity (although there appear to be additional characters since elementary school kid and the school nurse are not among the 13 in the artwork). So the name could refer to it having 13 forms, one for each of the characters piloting it? I'm probably reading too much into things, but there isn't really too much to work with at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:23:53 AM by Ranadiel »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 11:10:47 PM »
I can't help but feel like Muramasa is going to be the peak of Vanillaware and that's just that...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 05:26:25 AM »
I can't help but feel like Muramasa is going to be the peak of Vanillaware and that's just that...

Do you just insist on being provocative? That comment wasn't even directly about 13 Sentinels. I mean, it doesn't even feel like you wrote out a full thought. Are you trying to say that you aren't too psyched about it? That you haven't been that enthusiastic about Vanillaware's games  for a while now? Is there anything you've seen about this game that brought about such negativity? Context is key. I'm sorry, but I've seen this from a lot of your posts, where you'll make a round-about comment that lacks necessary context and/or flow - I really wouldn't be surprised by the latter, nor would it necessarily be a bad thing. Still frustrating, mind you, but in my case at least, it's only because it brings back painful memories of my early difficulties with posting. It certainly seems like you have a habit of turning heads with would make so much more sense if you just asked yourself, "did I include enough information for complete strangers to understand what I just wrote?" I don't want to have to keep blocking your posts just because they make my head hurt over things that really shouldn't be so hard sometimes.

But I'll bite, at least this time: Vanillaware has had, like, 3 games, and all of them are well-recieved. Their "peak" is looking a lot like the top of Olympus Mos. Heck, I personally consider Muramasa to be their least good game, since it is by far the most repetitive. It still has that addictive element to it to make up for that, but I still felt like I needed less random encounters and more enemy variety to really put it as high as Odin Sphere or Dragon's Crown.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:59:14 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
I think most would agree that their lowest point was Grim Grimoire. Fantastic idea, and production quality with the expected excellence, but not even Vanillaware can make an RTS work well on console.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
I think most would agree that their lowest point was Grim Grimoire. Fantastic idea, and production quality with the expected excellence, but not even Vanillaware can make an RTS work well on console.

Oh, I forgot that was theirs. I guess that would be their lowest point. I still liked it a lot, though. Surprised they never made a sequel on tablets or handhelds, but I guess it just wouldn't be worth it. Too much competition now.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »

Do you just insist on being provocative? That comment wasn't even directly about 13 Sentinels. I mean, it doesn't even feel like you wrote out a full thought. Are you trying to say that you aren't too psyched about it? That you haven't been that enthusiastic about Vanillaware's games  for a while now? Is there anything you've seen about this game that brought about such negativity? Context is key. I'm sorry, but I've seen this from a lot of your posts, where you'll make a round-about comment that lacks necessary context and/or flow - I really wouldn't be surprised by the latter, nor would it necessarily be a bad thing. Still frustrating, mind you, but in my case at least, it's only because it brings back painful memories of my early difficulties with posting. It certainly seems like you have a habit of turning heads with would make so much more sense if you just asked yourself, "did I include enough information for complete strangers to understand what I just wrote?" I don't want to have to keep blocking your posts just because they make my head hurt over things that really shouldn't be so hard sometimes.

But I'll bite, at least this time: Vanillaware has had, like, 3 games, and all of them are well-recieved. Their "peak" is looking a lot like the top of Olympus Mos. Heck, I personally consider Muramasa to be their least good game, since it is by far the most repetitive. It still has that addictive element to it to make up for that, but I still felt like I needed less random encounters and more enemy variety to really put it as high as Odin Sphere or Dragon's Crown.

Sometimes I don't like things, I wouldn't call that "trying to be provocative."

I think Cinnamon toast crunch is the peak of Kellog's cereal output and that's just that.

I think Gladiator is the peak of Ridley Scott's output and that's just that.

etc.

Also the fact that you managed to guess all the exact meanings of the statement suggests it wasn't really all that vague at all...

I'm going to continue on in the vein of more information because it seems like that's something you are curious about and I'm flattered you are curious.

I don't think Odin Sphere was very good even though it had a cute art style and all that because Mercedes and Oswald were super dumb campaigns IMO from both a gameplay and artistic standpoint.

The final battle was also a train wreck, bringing back characters who were all underleveled at least in my case, and the boss itself was beyond cheap.

This new game Aeolus posted looks just really lame from a number of perspectives.

Muramasa was the experience that had the art style and cool things about Vanilaware with none of the frustrating elements.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:13:28 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
Muramasa had a couple of flaws. For one, the "tutorial" throws a fuckton of information at you right at the very beginning that's almost impossible to remember all of.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
@Artimicia Okay, I think I was trying to accuse you of being a troll, which probably came from the fact that I haven't read your posts in a while. I do deeply apologize for that, I guess I was pretty rude.

However, after reading a few other posts, I remembered that, while you're not a troll, I do find your posts to be really difficult for me to read and understand. I guess I got used to how eloquent everyone is here (seriously, EVERYONE on this board), that I forgot what it's like to converse with people who either have difficulties typing out their thoughts, or just don't give a shit and are perfectly content to waste everyone's time. I've recently been posting on another board that I had quit for a while, and that definitely helped to reacquaint me with my old ways of dealing with it: Ignore the worst cases, and chew out the repeat offenders. I just do not put up with it. I treat each post I write like I'm writing for an audience - because that's ultimately what posting on a forum is. It's public for everyone to see, and therefore open to critique. I suppose it can be a bit harsh sounding when put like that, but I don't really feel like I've needed to compromise. I do think you can get better about it, though. Writing out more complete thoughts, making your main point more easily distinguishable (unlike a writing piece, you don't have to come across as witty or clever, you don't need a ccaptive audience, so you're free to get straight to the point). I dunno how you are with drafts or how much effort you put into each post - none of us does for any of us, I'm sure. One of the beauties of posting on messege boards, you get all the time you need to write out your thoughts before posting. Lord knows I went through at least 15+ revisions before I finally hit the post button... (speaking in future tense while still writing FTW!!!)

I mean, at least your spelling and grammar is fine. Poor grammar is like a disease, it'll infect your brain if you read too much of it...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:56:09 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »
I guess I got used to how eloquent everyone is here (seriously, EVERYONE on this board)

Now that you mention it, that IS really weird
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »
I guess I got used to how eloquent everyone is here (seriously, EVERYONE on this board)

I prefer to think of it as a private miracle.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »

I prefer to think of it as a private miracle.

I suspect that RPGs generally attract the more literate end of the videogamers' spectrum.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
^ True.  All that reading at a young age, especially.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/13-sentinels-aegis-rim-details-atmosphere

TGS has come and gone, and this time its left us some gorgeous screenshots and actual details in regards to this game. Granted, its still not a whole lot, but regardless as to the quality of the gameplay, this fucking game is going to be as beautiful as it can manage.