Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 01:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331369 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rogue Galaxy.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Rogue Galaxy.  (Read 16992 times)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2007, 01:10:20 AM »

The game only played itself if you chose to make it do so.  Gambits were not forced upon you and were completely optional, as was getting every thing on the license board and having your characters all be completely the same at the end.  I've seen far too many people complain about these aspects.  Customization is NOT a bad thing.

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »

The difference is that the Gambit system is the aspect that is so widely touted as "revolutionary" or whatever for AI. It all just makes it so your characters can adapt to every situation so you can sit there and do nothing.

Even when I do physically control it myself, it still does the Attack for me. In Rogue Galaxy, you have to PHYSICALLY SWING YOUR SWORD. That alone makes it more involving.

Customization is great, when it's not used to make the game pre-programmed. Things like..hmm, Dark Cloud's weapon customization system. That was cool. You still had to actually play the game yourself.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2007, 11:56:53 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
In Rogue Galaxy, you have to PHYSICALLY SWING YOUR SWORD. That alone makes it more involving.

Rogue Galaxy's for the Wii? Because I'm pretty sure all you do with the DualShock is press in a button.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2007, 02:21:58 AM »

Here's a question: did Rogue Galaxy end up being Level 5's Dark Cloud 3 project, or is Level 5 actually intent on making another Dark Cloud game?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »

the problem with ffxi's customization is that you can very easily gimp yourself on the liscence board. also since the game imho foolishly doesnt use the job system it just feels like a watered down version of ffxi's battle system. i molded basch into a paladin theres just one problem! there no provoke! wich leads to other characters inexplicably getting hate for no reason. right now ashe for no appearent reason gets massive amounts of aggro with her ninja sword even if i strike the enemy first. in my opinion ffxii's battle system is inferior to ffxi's. oh AND.............

FFXII IS HOME TO ONE OF THE MOST BULLSHIT BOSSES IVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN AN RPG!

FUCK YOU ELDER WYRM! i seriously went through close to 20 phoenix downs at that boss,and in order to have that many i had to farm!! IN AN OFFLINE RPG I HAD TO FARM WTF? mist knacks are incredibly broken too and not in a good way its beyonf me why they drain your mp to 0 and mp is your lifeblood in this game.

while i do think RG is better im sick of the characters yelling my name queing me to let them heal. while i'd like to complete both games i fear i might not be able due to various annoyances.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
there no provoke!
Really? I wonder what Decoy does then...?
ffxii's battle system is inferior to ffxi's. oh AND.............
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's worse.
FFXII IS HOME TO ONE OF THE MOST BULLSHIT BOSSES IVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN AN RPG!
Oh no, challenge! Why, I never!

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »

while i do think RG is better im sick of the characters yelling my name queing me to let them heal. while i'd like to complete both games i fear i might not be able due to various annoyances.

I feel like I've said this before, but it was bothering me when I first played as well.  If you change your team strategy to "Go All Out", your characters will no longer ask you when to heal, they will automatically use healing points, resurrections and the various status cures.  Once I figured this out I had much more fun with the game, not having to tell my characters to heal every 3 seconds, only to have them die before getting the potion off.  The downside to this is that you will go through a ton of potions and resurrections.  From the point that I figured this out until literally the end of the game I was never short on money to buy the max amount of potions and resurrections at every Shop I found.  Hope this helps.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »

FUCK YOU ELDER WYRM!

I have no sympathy. FFXII is a cakewalk in terms of difficulty. The only easier FF in recent memory is VIII, and even that could be argued.

Learn the game, read a walkthrough, do something. But don't complain about needing a bunch of P.Downs to get by.

On-topic: Rogue Galaxy is cool, but deeper plot would've been nice.

Ramza

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I have no sympathy. FFXII is a cakewalk in terms of difficulty.
What the fuck. You never fought Zodiark or Yiazmat, did you?

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2007, 09:07:05 AM »

Aw mai gawd...

RG is the biggest waste of 200 hours of my life. I play through all that only to see what can be called a HACK JOB of an ending. Yeesh.

Good music and nice voicework DOESN'T save a crappy story. Now I know why Damian was cussing about the story.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »

Jesus 200hrs!  That's more than I put into Dark Cloud 2 and I loved that game.  I've been looking forward to Rogue Galaxy for a long time because I had so much fun with DC2. I was hoping for the fun experience to be replicated with RG.  DC2 didn't have a complicated story, but the gameplay was amazing.  Hopefully I'll feel that way about RG too.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »

Well, if you want gameplay, you'll get it.

If you want story, you can forget it....

Seems like L5 is good at making good gameplay mechanics, but suck at story.

Sigh...
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »

If you're looking for a game with a good storyline, definitely don't play RG.  While the battle system is fun, it doesn't have a whole lot to it and honestly sometimes bored me.  Overall it's a pretty average RPG, it entertained me long enough for me to beat the game so I can't really look back on the experience as anything bad.  I still feel as if Dark Cloud 1 and 2 were much more fun, and their storylines weren't anything special either.

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »

Both DCs and RG offered great gameplay, but lack in the story and character department.

L5 should really outsource their story planning. -.-;;

I enjoyed DQ8, even though its story was straightforward. It was still better then RGs story if you ask me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: