Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:09:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340914 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rogue Galaxy.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Rogue Galaxy.  (Read 17401 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »

... Then what DO you consider a good localization? Seriously, it's heralded as one of the best out there, as is VS's, and you just went 'meh' to it, so I have to wonder.

Personally, I'm neutral on VA. If you can put it in and it's good, and not idiotically abundant like WA4's default setting (NO JUDE YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY "JUMP" WHENEVER YOU DO SO, YOU MENTALLY RETARDED JACKASS), then hey, great. But I'm just fine with no VA, and in some cases think it's better gone. It can be obnoxious if there's some characters voiced over and others not within the same scene, but that was only a problem in Twilight Princess, and that was also in a madeup language... And only really bugged me in the ending anyway. But I hate fixed camera angles unless it's at a specific point where a good angle really helps, or if plain ol' technical limitations get in the way.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »

I mean, it's not that any localization has been bad. I'm only combating the heralding of FFXII's localization. I just don't think it's any better than other games. The majority of localizations to come out in the last generation have been great, but not many that have been really exceptional, or rather, not many that trancend standard RPG script. DDS and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne have had excellent translations with scripts that feel like they took an extra step to make the dialogue interesting, and I appreciated Working Design's liberal use of their license to adapt to spice up normall stale scripts, even if it would occasionally come off as abrasive to some purists. FFXII did go a bit further than most, but it really didn't excite me. Since the words are such a huge part of an RPG, I think that they could have a bit more flavor to them.

Sorry about the off-topic-ness. :P

I'm really enjoying Rogue Galaxy. The game seems to have gone through a difficulty spike, though. I guess I need to adjust my tactics...or level up.  One question, actually: do the extra costumes/sets of armor affect anything other than cosmetics?
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »

Basing this off of the few costumes I have for each character, each costume seems to give you a slight defense alteration (I've only seen 1-3 point increases), so I'm thinking that the costumes you get later in the game will most likely always come along with more defense. I'm pretty sure that you get more defense points than the costumes give you when you level up. It might not seem super helpful, the extra boost is nice.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »

The WD argument's been done death, and it'd just further derail the topic, but I'd like to note that if it was simply a matter of being a purist or not, then either everyone would love the WD localizations here, or would hate those like PW's. I guess everyone could be a hypocrite though. :P

The SoM comparisons make it more tempting to try to get, but I'll wait until I either clear out my backlog or see a good deal.
Clothahump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »

I just read the review.

I have to say I'm really surprised at the low score for control. I haven't had any problems with it at all. The review states that the analog control, makes lining things up in the factory a difficult process. Not for me. I found that if you tap the directional pad, the cursor moves one square. Nothing hard about it.

I also didn't have any problem with control during battle. Well, I did at first, but after some time with it, I'm now adept at all the mechanics.  I have had trouble with the camera in tight spaces, but that's pretty rare.

As far as the story goes - it's no better or worse than any other console RPG - there's just less of it.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »

I'm already up to Chapter 8 in Rogue Galaxy, about 26 hours logged.

I can give advice for those wondering about defense boosts. The costumes themselves only give you slight defense increases because they aren't meant for defense. They're meant for the elemental associations that eat costume has. Some give more defense to fire attacks, some to holy, and etc.

The best way to get defense boosts it to unlock Defense Up Lv1, 2, and 3 on character's Revelation Grids.

Edit: I also agree with Merkava that FFXII's localization is "just as bad", with stilted, pedestrian dialogue and the ever-present problem of zero character development.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2007, 04:05:38 PM »

You people are insane. Compare any snippet of dialogue in Final Fantasy XII to the inane rambling of the prissy robot and the frog-man character at the start of Rogue Galaxy and then come back and say that FFXII's dialogue and localization is "just as bad".
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Edit: I also agree with Merkava that FFXII's localization is "just as bad", with stilted, pedestrian dialogue and the ever-present problem of zero character development.

So the localizers are supposed to add character development where there just plain wasn't any?
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

So the localizers are supposed to add character development where there just plain wasn't any?

No, but they can at least *try* to breathe life into the characters while working with no good writing whatsoever.

Cauton: I played 30 hours of FFXII and prefer RG's plot and writing because it doesn't  feature bloated and verbose dialogue..it's more to-the-point and thus makes it easier to go back into the real reason people are playing the game: the dungeon crawling and ridiculously fun battle system.

I mean, FFXII just played itself. ;_;
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »

Well, the character development, I thought, was more a problem with the original developers. My main point was that translators should be more like adaptors; being creative with the language, making it interesting. FFXII was a step in the right direction, and an important one, but it didn't do merely enough to differentiate itself from the rest, besides the occasional use of Olde English.

I didn't think the translation was "just as bad," just "not much better."

RG also has to deal with the problem of not taking itself seriously, from what I've played. Not that a game can't have a bit of comedy, but when characters and events are farcical ALL the time, the connection is lost, and any attempts to then add gravitas seem thrown in.

Thank God the gameplay is so good.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2007, 02:40:31 PM »

I think the farcical nature of RG's storyline is just a problem innate within Level 5's writers themselves.

The same problem plagued DC 1 and 2, and DQ8.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2007, 04:59:55 PM »

I think the farcical nature of RG's storyline is just a problem innate within Level 5's writers themselves.

The same problem plagued DC 1 and 2, and DQ8.

I can't speak for DC1&2, but the Dragon Quest series has always had a definite comic bent with things like bad pun monsters & spells with names that sound like sound effects.  The problem is that the localization teams for the games always ignored that aspect of the games until DQ8 came along.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »

i'm not that far into the game yet but that prissy robot reminds me a lot of C-3PO from star wars. i just got to the but where you see MIO then get thown in jail..... i never thought i'd hear someoneone say O-M-G outloud.
also ive seen the gameover screen one to many times.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Magic Pink

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2007, 07:58:39 AM »

Only if you sucked at it.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »

Quote from: "Magic Pink"

Only if you sucked at it.

No, it's more like the game just played itself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: