Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Video game 'zines.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video game 'zines.  (Read 2608 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:06:34 AM »

I've always loved game 'zines, even in the age of online 'zines where you can find the same info earlier. Anyway, from like '95 to 2003 I collected them all religiously. I have boxes of them thing. Even have a copy of the FIRST video game magaizne from the early 80's called Bilp. Anyway, in '03 I lost my job (Thank you, General Motors), and that along with the fact that few RPG's were coming out at the time, I stopped getting them. I started picking them up again. Those 'zines with the discs... 10 fucking dollars? Where do they get off for that? I know I could get subscriptions to them all, but I did that before and they destroy the mags trying to get them into my mailbox. So, I don't buy those. But I have been picking up E.G.M., GamePro, Game Informer and Nintendo Power. E.G.M. used to be my fave back in the day, but now they have it set up so some of the articles you gotta go online to their site to finsih reading everything. It's still a well written mag, but that sucks. Hell, the last issues was 90 something pages long, and they still tell you to go to 1 up dot com to "read more"?. GamePro... I'm amazed at how the qaulity of this mag has dropped. Some reviews are like a 10 year old wrote them, full of nonsensical sentences and a ton of grammar errors. Not only that, I've seen a few reviews in there dealing with remakes and they just reviewed the game on its own merits, never once comparing it to the original. Game Informer has turned out to be my fave now. It's well written, the layout is great, and they seem to focus more on RPG;s than the other mags. Nintendo Power is still great, but it loses a few points for me because... well, it's just for Nintendo. Which is cool, but I could never rely just on this mag for all of my gaming needs.

Which brings me up to a question. A few years ago, there was a 'zine that reviewed nothing but handheld games. Apparently this isn't around any longer? Odd, considering handheld gaming is more popular now than it's ever been.
solieyu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »

not sure what the name of that handheld magazine was, but it seems that strictly handheld mags haven't done that great, at least as far as my knowledge goes...i remember nintendo power tried to put out a separate mag called nintendo power advance or something when the gba launched, but it only lasted for a couple issues due to lack of interest.

the two mags i read are electronic gaming monthly and computer gaming world...EGM's been pissing me off as of late with some of their whack reviews (and they were SO much better back when they had a consistent group of reviewers, instead of this mess of random people they now have in every issue) but they're still decent enough to warrant me getting excited every time i get an issue in the mail each month. and i've been subscribing to computer gaming world since i was in the 5th grade, so it's practically become tradition for me to read that magazine. they offer a lot of interesting, really well written articles related to stuff like computer gaming in china, racism in online games, things like that. it's quality.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »

Man, Gamepro has always been shit.  i was ever so happy to drop it from my monthly magazine purchasing for Game Players.  Which most of the staff wnet off to form PSM.  ...Which I enjoyed, thanks, shh.

But Gamepro...  Scary Larry needs to be slapped.  And the FUKKIN AWSOME guy they got to do the art after just doing some fan art early on is really terrible.  Everything looks like it was from a cheap X-Men knockoff...

I also remember the time where I stopped getting PSM to get the Official Dreamcast magazine as I had "finally" become a Sega fan again after selling out for the PlayStation...  ...The following month, the magazine was discontinued AS THE FUCKING DREAMCAST WAS CANCELLED.

SONIC ON A FUCKING NINTENDO SYSTEM NO WAY.

I collected Nintendo Power for two years despite the fact I didn't have a system at all.  Then after all this time, my uncle got me a Master System.  :P

D'oh.

Anyway, gaming mags were a big part of my growing up.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:56 PM »

I loved The Official Dreamcast Magazine. I loved the oversized format as well as the fact that each copy came with a demo disc, and web browser updates, and yet it was still around the same price as the other mags.
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:29:56 PM »

I never heard of Blip. I thought the first video game magazine was Electronic Games, no relation to Electronic Gaming Monthly which started close to 10 years later. The first issue came out sometime in 1981 and I convinced my mom to get me a subscription. I still remember the cover of the first issue, it was a photo of a model wearing tight Jordache jeans playing a Centipede arcade game. A couple of years later they changed their name to Computer Games or something and then after a few issues they just disappeared. I had every issue, and as I recall I threw them all away years ago when my parents moved and I had to get all of my old crap out of their garage. Damn it.

My favorite was Next Generation, which started in 1994 to cover the Jaguar, 3DO, the then-upcoming Saturn and Playstation... They were great, setting out to be the first gaming magazine that was truly aimed at adults. But after a few years they went downhill and they became almost as lame as GamePro or whatever. They changed their name to NextGen and then thankfully they died. At that point I switched to EGM and I've been getting it ever since, though for the last few years I've often wondered why I bother.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »

Yeah, I just stopped getting EGM.  I don't see a point in getting it anymore.  I generally don't agree with the RPG reviews (they aren't really RPG fans so their opinion isn't that credible to me) and finding out information on games is 100x quicker on the internet.

Growing up I really liked Nintendo Power. I remember getting psyched up for some of the games they covered.  Ah... childhood nostalgia.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 05:24:56 AM »

Man, I still remember getting Mega Man X pogs in an issue of Nintendo Power.

POGS.

But yeah, it's simpler for me to jump on Magic Box and RPGFan for any game info I need. But every now and then we pick up a random issue of something just for fun.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »

Quote from: "Druff"
I never heard of Blip. I thought the first video game magazine was Electronic Games, no relation to Electronic Gaming Monthly which started close to 10 years later. The first issue came out sometime in 1981 and I convinced my mom to get me a subscription. I still remember the cover of the first issue, it was a photo of a model wearing tight Jordache jeans playing a Centipede arcade game. A couple of years later they changed their name to Computer Games or something and then after a few issues they just disappeared. I had every issue, and as I recall I threw them all away years ago when my parents moved and I had to get all of my old crap out of their garage. Damn it.

My favorite was Next Generation, which started in 1994 to cover the Jaguar, 3DO, the then-upcoming Saturn and Playstation... They were great, setting out to be the first gaming magazine that was truly aimed at adults. But after a few years they went downhill and they became almost as lame as GamePro or whatever. They changed their name to NextGen and then thankfully they died. At that point I switched to EGM and I've been getting it ever since, though for the last few years I've often wondered why I bother.

I dug that copy of Blip i have out. It's a No. 1 issue, released in '83. It has reviews of Donkey Kong, Pitfall, Missile Command and more for Atari 2600, has what the "stars" are playing at the arcades. Stars as in the kid who played Willie Olsen on Little House On The Prairie. :P Also, has a news bit about Emerson's game machine, the Arcadia 2001, which ended up failing miserably. I bet this mag is worth some money. It's in near mint condition, but on the cover someone wrote "4-1-12" really small in pencil for some reason. Oh, I just noticed that the cover of Blip says "New From Marvel Comics", so it looks like Marvel even cashed in on the game craze in the 80's.
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »

Quote from: "Britton"
I dug that copy of Blip i have out. It's a No. 1 issue, released in '83.

Ha ha, mine's older! =P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: