• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei 4 FINAL
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
"for 3DS"

looking like another exclusive.

blah

is that "blah" because you don't own a 3DS, or because you'd prefer it be *not* on a handheld?

I refuse to buy a 3DS when A) it's ugly and makes my eyes hurt and B) I have this far superior Vita that's only really used to play PS1 games.

Handhelds = OK

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:48 PM »
Have you checked the new one yet, Glass? It's much better on the eyes, in more ways than one. I still wish I could afford one, but at this point, I'm probably better off keeping my current 3DS (even though it's starting to show it's age, I've had it since August 2011) and waiting to see whether or not the new NX thing is a portable...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/first-look-shin-megami-tensei-iv-final

Images and stuff.

Most interesting thing is that it seems that you can pick your NPC this time around. That way, you'll be less likely to randomly get stuck with a Agi happy ally giving out Press Turns and Smirks to enemies that Block or Absorb Fire.

Not that any of the above matters when there's a healer chick sitting right there giving out free heals and not fucking you over AI wise (unless they changed more than just the fact that you can select one).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
Is it just me or did they change the art style from the Deviant Art style of SMT IV to something more "traditional"?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 04:57:25 AM »
Masayuki Doi's returning as character artist. Frankly I don't see much difference other than this batch of protagonists look much younger.

I quite liked some of his designs for the last game, but what the hell is Kazuma up to? I know he was stepping away from Persona due to clashing ideologies, but is he stepping away from SMT entirely now?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
So am I the only one having a hard time figuring out where in the timeline this is supposed to be occurring? It doesn't seem to be occurring after any of the endings. Since both Lucifer and the chariot of God (forgot how to spell his name) are in the promo image, it is presumably after the whole dimension travelling portion of 4. But that leaves a very small window of time for things to happen...unless this is an alternate universe where 4's MC failed to return?

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
Am I the only one that vastly prefers Strange Journey to IV? That's usually the impression I get : )
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 05:41:01 PM »
I've heard that from a few people! I liked Strange Journey but it didn't really click with me. It had some great story beats (Mithra and Captain Jack), but this sort of self-contained giant dungeon crawl isn't really what draws me to SMT. I had a similar problem with SMT: If... . Like, "I'm trapped in this pocket dimension full of monsters, while there's a whole world going to shit out there I could be running around in." I like experiencing the societal collapse of the post-apocalypse in Earth's cities first-hand.

Also the music, while good, wasn't gothed-out hip hop/rave beats.

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »
I like experiencing the societal collapse of the post-apocalypse in Earth's cities first-hand.

Same here, and that may be while I gave up on Devil Survivor 2. On paper, the story's the same as the first game, but while that first game spends much of it's time actually putting you right in the middle of the apocalypse and experiencing it firsthand, the second game prefers taking time out of that in order to get to know your new friends whom your only just met a bit better. The result is that second's game story feels somewhat more 'typical JRPG' than the first, which is interesting and engaging from beginning to end. (Though the second game is still good; just not as good, IMO.)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/11/shin-megami-tensei-iv-finals-first-trailer-shows-characters-and-demons/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/11/shin-megami-tensei-iv-final-will-follow-a-neutral-route-with-multiple-endings/

More deets. Silent Protagonist is silent. You don't have to worry about routes screwing you out of that ally you've been dumping all your resources onto. But there will be alternate endings (probably involving said allies). Isabeau and Flynn will also show up at some point. And the 'Final' in SMTIVFinal is intended to mean 'The Final SMTIV' and not 'The Final SMT' if in case anyone thought it might be otherwise.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »
Masayuki Doi's returning as character artist. Frankly I don't see much difference other than this batch of protagonists look much younger.

Some of the demons looked more "traditional" than in SMT 4, which is why I asked.

Am I the only one that vastly prefers Strange Journey to IV?

No.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
I loved Strange Journey (Next to SMT1 on the iPad, it's actually my favorite SMT game). I didn't play much SMT4, though, but part of it was me having mammoth-sized expectations for it...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
I admit my play history with SMT is spotty as hell, but I love following the weird odyssey and cool designs for places and people these games take you on.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
Some of the demons looked more "traditional" than in SMT 4, which is why I asked.

Ah yeah, maybe the Tokusatsu guest artists aren't returning this time. That suits me fine.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 03:49:55 AM »
Am I the only one that vastly prefers Strange Journey to IV? That's usually the impression I get : )

SMT IV started a lot stronger then kinda petered out late game. 3 problems being...

I got way too strong and was just one shotting random encounters.

Inheritance changes were needed, but gave too much. I didn't feel like I was getting new demons, since I kept most of the same skills except for a upgrade here and there.

And lastly but most importantly, 'Oh, grats. You got the neutral route you were shooting for. Now you have to do EVERY sidequest to progress the main story.' And dropped. Though it was already kinda wearing on me.

But I did have a ton of fun with the game before I stopped having fun with the game.