Author Topic: Disgaea 5  (Read 7451 times)

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Disgaea 5
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
So, that came out yesterday. As usual Pre-Order DLC is borked to no end. Supposedly the NISA PO stuff works now but the Gamestop stuff is still fubared. You'd think they would've learned their lesson from the DD2 debacle. Ah well.

Didn't get too far in. Like all of three stages because I'm distracted by all the newness. I'm actually quite impressed by just how much streamlining there is compared to even the Vita version of D4. Feels like a lot of the more pointless tedium has been trimmed. Here's hoping for now 25+ minute Geo-nonsense after the first three worlds though. XP

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Disgaea 5
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
I haven't gotten to play it yet myself, but here's Robert's review!

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Disgaea_5_Alliance_of_Vengeance/index.html
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
I actually got curious and looked up some of the JP VA work for Kilia. Like the review we also thought his voice performance seemed...lackluster.

Turns out the JP VA portrayal of Kilia actually is like the NA version. Seems he's intended to be soft, passionless, and indifferent to everything. Really in stark contrast to his design and past Disgaea protagonists.

Wonder if this is one those cases where they should've said 'screw the original' and did their own thing for the dub.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
My understanding is that there's a story reason for him being so...placid. Which doesn't make me like his dull VA any more, but I suppose it's better knowing it's intentional than just bad voice acting.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »
Killia is basically Kiefer Sutherland in The Phantom Pain.

...actually, the two games have remarkably similar story outlines!
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
I'm working on Disgaea D2, and will definitely get 5 eventually afterward.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
Killia is basically Kiefer Sutherland in The Phantom Pain.

...actually, the two games have remarkably similar story outlines!

That, uh, doesn't really bode well for D5 considering the train wreck that is MGSV's plot.

I did LOL imagining MGSV's final twist in D5 though.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
Ha ha, I was mostly being facetious. I think D5 is less infuriating, at least.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
I actually got curious and looked up some of the JP VA work for Kilia. Like the review we also thought his voice performance seemed...lackluster.

Turns out the JP VA portrayal of Kilia actually is like the NA version. Seems he's intended to be soft, passionless, and indifferent to everything. Really in stark contrast to his design and past Disgaea protagonists.

Wonder if this is one those cases where they should've said 'screw the original' and did their own thing for the dub.

I criticized one of the characters for this in one game where I had a lot more interaction with people from the dev team than normal, and I said in my review that I imagined it to be the way she was directed to act, not a poor job on the actress' part.  And they said (not an actual quote) "Yeah, she was told to do the part the same way it was done in Japanese, and that really works in Japanese, but it just doesn't seem to translate into English."  I heard it again in Omega Quintet, and I bet it was the same deal there and in Disgaea 5.  I agree with your conclusion on what they should have done. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »
I'm just playing the second game. I loved the first game, but playing it was enough to keep my satisfied for 12 years.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
This is the first Disgaea, since the original on PS1, that I am taking a "pass" on. One can only play so much of these before you begin to feel like you know exactly what to expect from them. I feel like I may have met my Disgaea quota for quite some time. Not saying I'll never pick this up but after the cumulative time I spent on 1, 2, 3, 4, D2, the (maddening) Prinny platformers and the (brief) time I had with that other lame PSP side-installment I just can't care enough ATM.

That being said, strangely some weird sick part of me gives rise to the diistinct intuition that I am "doing something wrong" by not playing this title IMMEDIATELY. <----- This is demonstrative of how 500+ hours of a franchise like disgaea can perma-screw ones psyche. Let this also stand as anecdotal evidence that JRPG's can cause mild mental and emotional withdrawal symptoms.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:43:24 PM »
I am enjoying it.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »
Huh, not sure if intentional or not but apparently if you buy the season pass you get all the DLC 'now'. So instead of waiting 3-4 weeks+ for it all to hit you can dip into it asap. I only thought they were doing a week in advance for that but it wouldn't surprise me if something got past QA.

Also...NISA's voice is atrocious. ~_~;

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:46 PM »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:11 AM »
Gotta say, I didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. I'm a guy who played all of Disgaea 1 and 1/4 of 2 before deciding I'd had enough. Aside from voice acting/story gripes, my only real complaint about D5 is that it's not on Vita. Which I imagine it will be at some stage.