Author Topic: So I played through Undertale...

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
So I played through Undertale...
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
*rolls around on the floor*

I was incredibly fascinated and incredibly cynical going into this game - Undertale wears its EarthBound passion on its sleeve, which makes it sort of easy to roll one's eyes at. On a few recommendations, I bought it and played it for like 5 hours straight - it was a mystical journey, full of Mario & Luigi-ish dialogue, bullet hell after bullet hell, and an inexplicably charming (mostly) cast of characters. I got the true ending, which is great, and I've been thinking about the game nonstop since I played it a week ago.

I don't think I've fallen in love with the game, but it definitely holds a certain power over me. It was refreshing to play, even though it never made me cry (Undertale: Prepare to Cry Edition). It was kinda clunky, and I never once really loved the "gameplay." There are several parts in the game where the dialogue clearly has gone on auto pilot, and needs some copy editing down/just letting some jokes go. Certain characters have great dialogue, some don't.

Probably the coolest thing about Undertale is that it really is...family friendly, much in the way EarthBound is. There isn't anything cheap or edgy in it, and yet it maintains a certain level of subversiveness. Still, it isn't really a game for kids in the way EarthBound is, and I'd wonder what it'd be like, as a young kid, to play it.

I'm not sure how much I like the subverted JRPG tropes in regard to the morality of the game - why is it evil to play a JRPG? EarthBound succeeds at both being a JRPG -and- a tale of post modern morality and sincerity. I suppose, if we're examining EarthBound very closely, we'd question why/how beating a dog up makes it stop being evil - this may be exactly what Undertale is all about.

However, is there a disconnect between the extremely abstract bullet hell battles and the reality of the game? It's necessary to -make it a game- due to players not fighting JRPG battles (this is assuming the pacifist route is the correct route, which it is), but is it too abstract? I'm not sure.

Undertale has great music and great graphics, despite the game seeming to hover between both an 8bit and 16bit aesthetic. I'm a graphics jerk in that I love Shovel Knight because it only (mostly) uses colors found on the original NES, and I sort of wish Undertale went one way or the other. At times it felt a bit sloppy, but I'm definitely the one being weird here.

I dunno - I kinda want to play it again, but I don't think it'll be the same. I'm not sure if it'd solidify my feelings for it, or just confuse them further : )

/blogfaqs
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

kkhohoho

• View Profile
Re: So I played through Undertale...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
*rolls around on the floor*

I was incredibly fascinated and incredibly cynical going into this game - Undertale wears its EarthBound passion on its sleeve, which makes it sort of easy to roll one's eyes at. On a few recommendations, I bought it and played it for like 5 hours straight - it was a mystical journey, full of Mario & Luigi-ish dialogue, bullet hell after bullet hell, and an inexplicably charming (mostly) cast of characters. I got the true ending, which is great, and I've been thinking about the game nonstop since I played it a week ago.

I don't think I've fallen in love with the game, but it definitely holds a certain power over me. It was refreshing to play, even though it never made me cry (Undertale: Prepare to Cry Edition). It was kinda clunky, and I never once really loved the "gameplay." There are several parts in the game where the dialogue clearly has gone on auto pilot, and needs some copy editing down/just letting some jokes go. Certain characters have great dialogue, some don't.

Probably the coolest thing about Undertale is that it really is...family friendly, much in the way EarthBound is. There isn't anything cheap or edgy in it, and yet it maintains a certain level of subversiveness. Still, it isn't really a game for kids in the way EarthBound is, and I'd wonder what it'd be like, as a young kid, to play it.

I'm not sure how much I like the subverted JRPG tropes in regard to the morality of the game - why is it evil to play a JRPG? EarthBound succeeds at both being a JRPG -and- a tale of post modern morality and sincerity. I suppose, if we're examining EarthBound very closely, we'd question why/how beating a dog up makes it stop being evil - this may be exactly what Undertale is all about.

However, is there a disconnect between the extremely abstract bullet hell battles and the reality of the game? It's necessary to -make it a game- due to players not fighting JRPG battles (this is assuming the pacifist route is the correct route, which it is), but is it too abstract? I'm not sure.

Undertale has great music and great graphics, despite the game seeming to hover between both an 8bit and 16bit aesthetic. I'm a graphics jerk in that I love Shovel Knight because it only (mostly) uses colors found on the original NES, and I sort of wish Undertale went one way or the other. At times it felt a bit sloppy, but I'm definitely the one being weird here.

I dunno - I kinda want to play it again, but I don't think it'll be the same. I'm not sure if it'd solidify my feelings for it, or just confuse them further : )

/blogfaqs

The 'message' of Undertale isn't that it's evil to play a RPG. If the creator thought playing RPG's was evil, then why would he bother making a RPG? However, I will admit that every single message that could be taken from it in relation to videogames is flawed in some respect, whether it be criticizing how some people will attempt to enact every possible outcome in the game even if doing so could have a potentially disastrous effect on the game's world and/or characters, ('And because you can, you have to,') or perhaps simply stating that there should be ways to play through a game without beating enemies up, even when such games do exist. (We call them adventure games, natch. Puzzles games too.) And as for why that first message is flawed, it's because only so many games have such lovable characters and actual sentient&peaceful monsters that you'd actually want to find a way to get around fighting them.

The only message you can truly get from it that's actually fairly airtight is it's promotion of pacifism as a lifestyle. If you do down the pacifist route, while your character may be a rather peaceful young boy who will try to talk his way out of situation if possible, the route still recognizes that there are times when you have to fight, such as when going up against Metaton or espically Asgore, though killing is still a no-no. And while I still think that there might be times you may have to kill as well, (though only when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY,) it's still a message I can get behind. I think that's what should be taken away from the game above every other message it tries to throw at you, because while every other message has their merits, they also come with their own shortcomings, as stated.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »
idk if it's a message so much as the game just tracking how you play through it and changing the outcome accordingly, which is cool cause JRPGs usually don't do that.

It won't be the same, apparently. The story changes in the new game+ modes I guess? Also got the impression that's where the sad stuff is.

finished the neutral ending sometime this week. i need to go do a true pacifist run. Apparently you can't do that if you do a genocide run first, so uh... have to see how that turns out. I've heard that the tone of the game shifts pretty drastically on a genocide run so I sort of want to try that but I'd feel like a dick after doing pacifist.

Code: [Select]
And I don't know if I'd say the end boss for the neutral ending is... family friendly. That entire ending bit is *really* freaky, although I wonder if you still get it if you don't spare Asgore.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:25:16 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Yeah, if you do genocide, the game remembers it and some text adjusts accordingly - you can look up how to edit your save, though, to erase your past...

Not sure how kosher this is tho : )
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...