Author Topic: Atelier games on PS3

Sillypeach

• View Profile
Atelier games on PS3
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
Hi guys. I got a ps3 3 years ago. Seems a large portion of Jrpgs for this console are from Atelier series. I'd like to start playing them but don't know where to start. Do they have to be playd in a certain order? If not, is there one that stands out from the others that makes a good starting point? I played the first Atelier Iris way back when it was originally released for ps2, didn't like it that much, although I did finish it. I didn't bother with the others. I also played Mana Khemia, and liked that a lot better, but again, didn't get around to the second one. That's why I've been a bit hesitant to play the ps3 games, although my understanding is they are quite different?

Thanks for your advice.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Atelier games on PS3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
There are two Atelier trilogies on PS3 at the moment.

The Arland Trilogy, which comprises Rorona, Totori and Meruru
The Dusk Trilogy, which comprises Ayesha, Escha & Logy and Shallie.

The games in each trilogy are intertwined, but the two trilogies are completely separate. So if you're looking to start at the beginning of a story, I'd recommend going with Rorona or Ayesha.

I have not played all of these games so far, but I personally feel that the Dusk trilogy is the stronger series.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
I think the PS3 trilogies are more alchemy and quest based than the PS2 games were, granted I only played Eternal Mana like yourself, but I loved it. I liked the story and the characters more than I do in the newer ones. But the alchemy system is a lot deeper in the PS3 trilogies.

I would say, like Robert, either Rorona or Ayesha are good places to start!

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
I was trying to think of a point of reference for the PS3 games, but I don't think there is one. Eternal Mana was very traditional JRPG, while the earlier (and DS) games felt more akin to something like Harvest Moon.