Author Topic: Horror RPGs

90sgamer

• View Profile
Horror RPGs
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
I made a video on horror RPGs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWB9TZnEbE
Here's my list:
Bloodborne, Veil of Darkness, Baroque, System Shock 2, Gorky 17/Odium, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption, Koudelka, Shadow Hearts series, Planescape: Torment, Waxworks, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark and The Jaws of Cerberus, BloodNet, Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness, Parasite Eve 1&2, The Legacy: Realm of Terror, Diablo, Ravenloft: Strahd's possesion, Escape from Hell, Sweet Home

Those are all the horror RPGs I've managed to find. Are there any games that I missed, that meet the criteria?

- Has to be a proper RPG (no games that were made in RPG maker). RPG/adventure hybrids and SRPGs are OK, long as they focus on horror (so no games like Disgaea or Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land)

- No games that were only released in Japan and haven't been fan translated so far (so no titles like Jaseiken Necromancer)

- Focuses on horror imagery/athmosphere. This is one is kind of hard to define, when is something horror and when does something only have horror elements? Like I said in the video, most RPGs feature various monsters as enemies, and some have levels/sections that are scary or feature an otherwise horror-like athmosphere. Fallout games have mutants&The Master, Death Knights of Krynn has loads of undead enemies etc, but the games are still primarily scifi/fantasy RPGs.
Even games with an oppressive athmosphere (dungeon crawlers like the early Wizardries, Bloodwych, Dark Spire and the darker games in the Shin Megami Tensei series, the darkest dungeon etc) aren't nessecarily horror, even if they make the experience tense through gameplay systems and balancing. To be honest, Baroque kind of falls into that category as well.
The Disgaea series is filled with horror imagery but the games are comedies. Planescape: Torment is full of morbid and disgusting stuff, but the overall experience doesn't focus on horror. And so on.

Are there any obscure 8 bit/DOS/Amiga/PS2/.... RPGs that I've missed? Steam has a lot of indie RPGs these days, at least one of them is bound to be horror themed. I mentioned Bloodlust: Shadowhunter in the video.
I'd like to compile a list of all the titles I missed and mention them in the description of the video.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Horror RPGs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:10 PM »
There's the old DOS dungeon crawler Don't Go Alone.

I see you've counted the fan-translation of Sweet Home, even though that was never officially released in the west. In that case, I'd like to recommend Laplace's Demon, a game that's quite similar but heavier on the RPG aspects. There was a patch, and it's probably still out there, but AGTP have recalled it as it was super buggy. Looks like they're retooling it now. Pretty neat little game though!

90sgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
Cheers! I had never heard of Laplace's Demon before, I gave a mention in the description box. One subscriber noted me that Shadow Tower Abyss actually has been fan translated.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on that! I'll have to give that a whirl!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Great list. I wish a lot of these were available for play on a console (for little ol' entitled "me").

I'm really only in disagreement when it comes to SMT. Some of the Shin Megami/Persona franchise qualifies in spades IMO. Persona 1 and 2 (both parts) and Soul Hackers I just played within the last few years and are fresh in my mind so I feel confidant in saying I can't identify them as anything other than horror. But that is aside from the point. I don't want to incite a debate here as to what qualifies. I simply want to applaud the list and throw in my 2 cents on the matter.

My 2 cents include the first "Corpse Party" as well.

I'm not speaking on the rest of the corpse party franchise or Digitial Devil Saga because I lack the experience but I highly suspect I'd feel they fit the bill as well.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

90sgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:16:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind constructive debates at all, I know that the last qualifier is kind of a subjective line in the sand, so there's bound to be people who disagree with whether game X should be ommitted or allowed into such a list! I adore the Shin Megami Tensei series so I'd love to have mentioned Nocturne. Baroque is very similar, it's just that Nocturne starts off being more of a postapocalyptic RPG and then later on (20, 30 hours in) becomes more of a horror RPG. It's sort of comparable with the original Fallout in that fact.

Great list. I wish a lot of these were available for play on a console (for little ol' entitled "me").
Even if you aren't a PC gamer in the slightest, there are a couple of PC games every fan of RPGs needs to experience :) A few of them on that list: Planescape: Torment and VTMB. I'd personally also add System Shock 2 to the list, it's a masterpiece and actually a better game than VTMB, but as a RPG it isn't as varied due to lack of social interaction. Any game out of the trio of VTMB, SS2 and Deus Ex is amazing tbh.