Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Games of 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Games of 2006  (Read 3109 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »

I think you guys misunderstand the heirarchy of our categories.

The first five awards are the subgenre awards.
The sixth and seventh are the platform awards.
The eighth award is the overall award.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »

Well, then you guys really could use a traditional RPG award. :P

And now I'm just baffled everyone voted it console/overall RPG of the year, but apparently nothing for action RPG, or at least not enough to even get runner up. Eh, whatever. :P

Edit: Actually, may as well go with CW and name what I thought to be my fave RPG of the year. I'm going to agree with her and Ramza in that XSIII was the best RPG I've played that came out this year. Maybe my opinion will change when I get through FFXII and the others, but I kinda doubt it. Though I'm not counting Zelda, which it'd probably tie with overall, but then as far as sequels go I think XSIII did a better job. Successfully salvaging > refinement, and managing to wrap up the series wonderfully at the same time is bittersweet.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
*continues to wait patiently for PAL release of FFXII*

*Waits and gets it when they go back to Canada and the prices drop considerably.*

Good article too, John.  Nice write ups, everyone.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

My favorite part of the whole thing is the beautiful graphics courtesy of Mike.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:39 PM »

Out of curiosity, why pick FF3 over FF5 for best portable? I'm not saying FF3 doesn't deserve it, and I'm most certainly not saying it's bad (3 hours in and enjoying it greatly), but considering that FF5 got a bit more critical acclaim, I find it a bit odd that you don't even mention it as a runner up.

Other than that, a pretty solid set. Granted, there's the Zelda debate, but I'm not going to bother with that. And I second Eusis' suggestion for a Traditional category. So that's my two cents.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 09:57:10 PM »

Superflat: We /are/ the critics.

In all honesty, it's based on voting - FF3 got more votes than anything else, and the three runner-ups tied for next-most votes.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 03:27:36 AM »

Also Superflat, FFV Advance is little more than a port. We get some new artwork, the bonus dungeon and jobs...yeah. But it's *BASICALLY* still FFV. It's hardly a new game.

FFIII on the other hand...well, it was COMPLETELY re-worked from the ground up. That fact alone probably gives it more weight than FFV.

That, and, it'd look a little nuts to give a "best handheld" award to a GBA game instead of a DS game. I myself voted for LostMagic, and if I hadn't voted for that, it probably would have been Magical Starsign (put the word "Magic" in a title and I'm sold!).

I think I may be in agreement with Eusis, however, that in our "genre" awards we may want to put in a "traditional turn-based RPG" category, since the console/PC/overall winners can hail from ANY of the genres. That's just good sense. (Though, in our case, it would've just been a way for FFXII to win three times over).

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 03:55:48 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I think I may be in agreement with Eusis, however, that in our "genre" awards we may want to put in a "traditional turn-based RPG" category, since the console/PC/overall winners can hail from ANY of the genres. That's just good sense. (Though, in our case, it would've just been a way for FFXII to win three times over).

Actually, except for cases like PC Gamer where they decide that GotY can't win genre awards as well, only special achievement-type stuff, I think that's kinda inevitable in most awards. The overall winner would win best on it's platform naturally, then it'd also win best in it's genre; this happened with GoW at GameSpot.

I'd throw in the re-translation for FFV as a good bonus the port got, what with the Anthology version's atrocity, but... Yeah. While FFV could really be the better game, it's neither as new (to us) or as impressive of a re-release, so I can see how III won out, and agree. I'd also like to say that I think it was in fact possible that a GBA game could have beat out the DS lineup and won Handheld RPG of the year, or at least be worthy enough to, but Mother 3 wasn't localized.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 03:22:01 AM »

sorry to bump but theres something i'm kinda curious about. was super robot taisen OG for gameboy advance even considered for strategy rpg? or did it slip through the cracks? most people probally dont even know it's out.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:37 AM »

As far as I know, only Pat has played it among the staff, and it was sometime after the awards occured. I played, and beaten both games prior to it so I would've definitely voted for those 2 :p Did reader reviews on both too. Not much they can do if no-one actually played it or at least, played it at the right time.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: