• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
The GameFAQs Best Game Ever competition
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
Is anyone else participating in this?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20

I'm making a bracket and going for the prizes, but... it's really really difficult to predict how these things are going to play out.  I still haven't decided which of my two Finalists I should pick as the Winner.  Do I go with the "safe" pick, or pick the upset in the hopes that it could propel me up the field if it lands?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: The GameFAQs Best Game Ever competition
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
Zing Zing Zip!

...Honestly I wouldn't know what to tell you.  Depends on what 'league' your title is throw in and all that, if you're against some hard-hitting games (the "safe bets") then that'd be that... Plus after that one year where the Tetris "L-block" won for best character, it's anyone's race. :P
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
^ Yeah, L-block dared to challenge the tyranny of Link and prevailed.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
So no one else is doing a bracket, then?

I went ahead and predicted Ocarina to win.  I hate to do it, because I don't want to see it win, but...  let's face it, it's going to.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
Never played OoT, never plan to!

HUZZAH!

Also I have no idea what this thread is supposed to be about.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
^"Fantasy Polling" I guess...

Honestly, I've seen enough "Best Game Ever" polls to know that they generally play out the same, with nostalgia being the biggest factor, followed closely by whatever overhyped game came out last week. The bigger the forum, the less likely upsets become. I really find the whole thing not only boring, but even upsetting, since at the end of the day, it's never actually about quality, it's about what games sold the most. Nobody's gonna vote for a game they don't know about, nor does it ever bring less well known games into the limelight - All it does is continue the status quo, despite its desperate need for a shake-up. I mean, for God Sakes, Link is still considered the greatest character of all time! That's like saying "the best person in the world is a puppy!" Link's not a character, he's an avatar! Most of the games he's in, he never shows any self-will, personal judgment, or any personality that isn't defined by the players themselves. Calling him "the best character in video games" is an insult to every single person who ever wrote for a video game. That is the type of bullshit these polls constantly reinforce, and I'll have no part in it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
^

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
^

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
Nostalgia and fandom. Best game ever polls are a bit silly because it's so subjective from person to person. I don't agree that OoT is the greatest game ever, but I can see why it is regarded that way - it's a fantastic game.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
I mean, for God Sakes, Link is still considered the greatest character of all time! That's like saying "the best person in the world is a puppy!" Link's not a character, he's an avatar! Most of the games he's in, he never shows any self-will, personal judgment, or any personality that isn't defined by the players themselves. Calling him "the best character in video games" is an insult to every single person who ever wrote for a video game.

Well, if you try to see it as "Most Popular Character" then it's better.  I don't think any rational person could actually argue that a Silent Protag is the Best Character Ever.

Also I have no idea what this thread is supposed to be about.

Click the link in the OP

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I only put in a bracket for the prizes. Though I highly doubt I'll win anything, I figure I definitely won't win anything if I don't at least enter. I couldn't care less about what wins or doesn't win.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
I used to follow all the GameFAQs brackets quite enthusiastically when I regularly posted there.  Haven't in awhile.  Still a good concept, though, and I don't begrudge anyone that is into it.  I've been there, heh. 

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »
To me, OoT was a huge disappointment. I had big expectations about the game, at one point actually believing that it would literally take 24hours to traverse the map. The game ended up being good regardless, but it wasn't anywhere near what I built up in my head.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »
I don't think any rational person could actually argue that a Silent Protag is the Best Character Ever.

You certainly can. They might be great from simply a design perspective and even if they never say a word they can embody and reflect whatever themes and values the game had. Things are more than a checklist of literary attributes that you can snob in. They can be realized through actions and presence. Also trying to pretend things exist in a vacuum and denying the meta is both pointless and a lie in itself.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
I don't think any rational person could actually argue that a Silent Protag is the Best Character Ever.

You certainly can. They might be great from simply a design perspective and even if they never say a word they can embody and reflect whatever themes and values the game had. Things are more than a checklist of literary attributes that you can snob in. They can be realized through actions and presence. Also trying to pretend things exist in a vacuum and denying the meta is both pointless and a lie in itself.

Mmmm, yes, but any reasonable argument for Best Character Ever would have to at least check off a few boxes, man.  Silent Protagonist is just too limiting, and trying to force nebulous attributes like "the meta" into the equation makes the entire conversation pointless.

I'm not saying all Silent Protags are bad, or can't be great.  It would just be very difficult to argue them as Best Ever.