Author Topic: Any Info Appreciated ~ The Legend of Heroes~ Question

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Any Info Appreciated ~ The Legend of Heroes~ Question
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
I'm aware that The Legend of Heroes Ao no Kiseki and Zero no Kiseki were re-released with the Evolution title attached to signify graphic updates and what not but they also released albums too. How are these albums different from the original music releases? Are they more complete as in FULL albums, are they arranged or remixed by the original composers, or something else? Any help would be appreciated because the googles has not been helpful.

P.S. Yes I realize that I could probably just do a comparison via Youtube by listening to tracks from both but I'm at work and I've already used up most of my break looking up something inconsequential but because of my obsessive behavior, I just REALLY want to know.

Reta

• View Profile
Re: Any Info Appreciated ~ The Legend of Heroes~ Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:55:24 AM »
They're both fully arranged soundtracks. The original compositions for Zero and Ao were done by Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama and (Zero only) Masanori Osaki. The arrangements for Zero were done by Falcom JDK Band members Yukihiro Jindo, Noriyuki Kamikura, and Wataru Sato, along with the unaffiliated N.G. Fellowship (Shuhei Hamasaki) and Ryo Noguchi (though the latter only arranged one 40-second song). The arrangements for Ao were done by Yukihiro Jindo and another JDK Band member, Toshiharu Okajima.

In general, the Evo arrangements are pretty similar to the originals, but with higher-quality synth and more live instrumentation. Definitely listen to the originals too if you haven't already, though - some of them have nuances completely lost in the Evo versions.

Zero Evo splits the original's credits theme (New Days ~ Omen) into two separate songs and adds a new part (Love of Cerulean Blue) in the middle, to accommodate all of the additional remake staff. It's a vocal remix of the main battle theme, Get Over the Barrier.

In the original version of Ao, some songs (Inevitable Struggle, Zero no Kiseki, Firm Strength, A Light Illuminating the Depths, Get Over the Barrier -silent devotion-, and To Be Continued) from the Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange album were used. In Ao Evo, these are mostly replaced with the Zero Evolution versions, however, To Be Continued, which was originally an arrangement of Omen, gets a new arrangement. Similarly, Amber Amour, from Trails in the Sky FC and Conspiracy and The Enforcers from Trails in the Sky SC get new versions. The original Ao used the original versions of Amber Amour and Conspiracy, but the SC Super Arrange version of The Enforcers.

As with Zero, there are some changes with regard to the ending themes. Ao Evo replaces the original opening, Aoi Kiseki, with a "new" opening, Aoki Negai. (It's a vocal remix of the minor boss theme, Concentrate All Firepower.) The original ending/credits theme, And Yet Here We Are, has its last 3 minutes removed (a grave injustice) to make room for the "new" vocal ending theme, which is a remix of the original opening. Previously, Ao was the only game in the series to not have separate ending and credits themes, and to not have a vocal ending theme.

Lastly, in both Zero and Ao Evo, some songs are longer due to the addition of improv sections, or occasionally, additions to the melody. Some examples of this are On the Green Road, Intense Chase, Traces of D, Inevitable Struggle, and Unfathomed Force.

This was probably way more than you needed or wanted to know, but Falcom music is kind of my thing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:27:32 AM by Reta »

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
Well goodness that is a lot of EXCELLENT information, I appreciate this a lot. I've been listening to the Zero no Kiseki OST and thinking about trying to find the Ao no Kiseki and eventually Sen no Kiseki as Rhythm Encounter has played a few excellent songs from their albums but then I ran into this confusing Evolution stuff. Thank you so much!

P.S. Your post recommended both regular and evolution albums, please just tell me it's not a case of needless meddling like the Final Fantasy X HD OST.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:55:28 AM »
...a case of needless meddling like the Final Fantasy X HD OST.

This. This right here. My thoughts exactly as far as that soundtrack is concerned.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:11:27 AM by Lian_Kazairl »

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:46 AM »
While the changes here are not all bad, they were certainly not necessary, and the arrangements are not always better. I do think, however, that both Evo soundtracks are better in comparison to their original versions than FFX HD's soundtrack. IMO, overall, Zero Evo's soundtrack is slightly worse than the original, while Ao Evo's is a bit better (and certainly a lot better than Zero Evo's). Some samples (mostly the songs with more significant changes):

Zero:

Zero no Kiseki - Original and Evolution
On the Green Road - Original and Evolution
Formidable Enemy - Original and Evolution
Stand Up Battle Formation Again! - Original and Evolution
Ancient Pulsation - Original and Evolution
Demonic Drive - Original and Evolution
Arrival Existence - Original and Evolution
Someday, Surely - Original and Evolution

Ao:

Aoki Shizuku - Original and Evolution
Traces of D - Original and Evolution
Unexpected Emergency - Original and Evolution
Within the Silence of the Sunlight Filtering Through the Trees - Original and Evolution
Miss You - Original and Evolution
Omen of Disaster - Original and Evolution
Catastrophe - Original and Evolution
Delusion of a Thousand Years - Original and Evolution
Wavering Heart - Original and Evolution
The Truth of the Rainy Day - Original and Evolution
Unfathomed Force - Original and Evolution
The Azure Arbitrator - Original and Evolution
And Yet Here We Are - Original and Evolution

It's probably worth noting that if XSEED ever gets around to localizing these games, their versions will be based off of the originals and not the Evolution versions due to the latter requiring negotiations with two additional companies (Pyramid and Chara-Ani) in addition to Falcom.

Also, a correction - Wataru Sato is actually not a member of the JDK Band, while Shuhei Hamasaki is.

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
This is impressive, Reta. I'm flabbergasted at how knowledgeable you are and the fact that you took the time to link several songs. Great stuff. On a side note, have you read about the crazy English translation troubles of Sora no Kiseki SC? I provided a link to both the Kotaku article and the guy's personal blog about the incident but basically a dude working on translating that game tried to kill himself because there was so much text to deal with and trying to deal with inter-personal business drama. It's a long read but well worth it into understanding the world of translating a game for English audiences.

http://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631
http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 02:22:42 AM »
The samples I've heard for Trails in the Sky Sora no Kiseki FC/SC are similar of unneeded enhancements that just sound....tin-y and noisy than anything else.

Why...  go all out (e.g. KH HDs) or don't bother.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!