Author Topic: Tips for Lunar?

SegaDreamCat

• View Profile
Tips for Lunar?
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
This is my first post on the site and I'm just testing the waters. What's the haps? What's everyone playing today? I recently started playing Lunar for the first time. Any tips?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:51:08 PM by Tooker »
"The best intentions invite the worst kind of trouble"

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: First Time Long Time!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
There is already a what the haps thread and it was made by Yoda and he is a beautiful lady :(((((
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
You came to the right board (no seriously, introduction threads in the Single Player RPGs board, while more visible than General Discussions, are fairly off topic and usually wind up here anyways; now watch as a mod decides to shove this onto the Single Player RPGs board just to spite me and confuse you).

That said, welcome aboard (or 14).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

SegaDreamCat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
Ah, may bad. Thanks for the tip! (:

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 04:37:31 AM »
You came to the right board (no seriously, introduction threads in the Single Player RPGs board, while more visible than General Discussions, are fairly off topic and usually wind up here anyways; now watch as a mod decides to shove this onto the Single Player RPGs board just to spite me and confuse you).

That said, welcome aboard (or 14).

In general it's a no introduction threads allowed rule, but since he asked a question and I'm feeling magnanimous today, I'll allow it.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:42 AM »
I happen to feel like Magnesium. New dude gets bonus points for Lunar being the first game he brought up coupled with a Sega reference by way of his user name. Welcome good sir.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Lunar?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm gonna be a teeny bit less magnanimous and change the title of the thread. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
Key questions:

Which system are you playing Lunar on?  It's been released on so many (Sega CD, Playstation, Game Boy Advance, PSP, iOS) and many of them have subtle or not-so-subtle differences between them. 

Any specific areas or battles you're having difficulty with?  Because "any tips on Lunar?" is a rather vague question. 

If you just started, I would say just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Lunar is an RPG classic that I would rather not spoil your virgin experience of.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
Lunar tip #1, sega cd version is supposedly the best of the series, followed by playstation, so basically start at either of those two, and go psp if you're desperate.
Lunar tip #2, Vigor, Power Up, and Power Drive are your best friends in boss fights, and always use Power drive on Alex first when you begin powering up because he will often go before Mia, so he can attack at full power immediately. Kyle will generally never go first, so he can get the second Power Drive and use his Power Slash next round at full or almost full buff.
Lunar tip #3, don't skip battles. Only run or avoid fights if you're overleveled or really in dire straights.
Lunar tip #3, Jessica is awesome. Dunno why but she is.

TASTY!

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
Man I should check out the Sega CD versions sometime. I need to get started on EBC too, for that matter.

The weird thing about Lunar is that it's p much the exact opposite of want I want in a JRPG except I /totally love me some lunar/.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

The weird thing about Lunar is that it's p much the exact opposite of want I want in a JRPG except I /totally love me some lunar/.

This ^^^ could be another topic entirely as I can discuss the phenomenon at length.

Straightforward, non-tactically imperative combat. Love story. Cliche' archetype characters. Less than mature writing with very "tame"  themes we've seen done time and again. Not real hidden perks or noteworthy secrets. Yet it all gels in a magical sort of way with Lunar to stand as one of the best linear gaming experiences I've ever had with an RPG. Weird.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »
What's the haps?

What's everyone playing today?

Haps - http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8301.0

Group game journal thread - http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13646.0

Man I should check out the Sega CD versions sometime.

Yes, you should. For one thing, EB on SEGA CD is a beast compared to the cakewalk that is EBC. The former will put hair in certain places.

SegaDreamCat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome and tips! I'm playing on PlayStation and it's been wonderful so far. The game is incredibly charming with beautiful sprites, incredible music and anime cutscenes. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and yes, Jessica is the best character! :D

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »
What's the haps?

Group game journal thread - http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13646.0

Yes, you should. For one thing, EB on SEGA CD is a beast compared to the cakewalk that is EBC. The former will put hair in certain places.

Doesn't EBC make you pay to save? That'd really turn me off from playing it.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
What's the haps?

Doesn't EBC make you pay to save? That'd really turn me off from playing it.

EBC does not, but the Sega CD version does. I honestly don't like the idea of it, either. However, in regards to EB Sega CD, you'd only notice within the first few hours of playing, and that's if you save often. After a while, you build up enough.. "save points"(?) that you won't even think of it anymore. It never left me high and dry, in all the times I've played through that game, which is a shit ton.