Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Tips for Lunar?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »
Don't grind in the Playstation version unless the random scrubs are too hard. Bosses scale with Alex's level, so building him up too much will lead to some obnoxious fights!

And welcome!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
Don't grind in the Playstation version unless the random scrubs are too hard. Bosses scale with Alex's level, so building him up too much will lead to some obnoxious fights!

And welcome!
That's mostly an issue when you've considerably overleveled for the zone you're in. Of course going an extra level or two over the zone you're in is increasingly hard anyway due to the exp payouts being pretty shitty once you're past the normal level range.

One thing SSC did really well was give you basically an easymode dungeon or area to run through after a fairly hard area, usually having enemy formations being really susceptible to Enemy Zone attacks from one or two specific allies. I remember in particular the red dragon cave, which was really annoying, being followed by the blue dragon cave, which was a cakewalk and tons of exp.

Speaking if the red dragon cave, do NOT try to skip enemies there, the boss fight there is pretty hard if you aren't prepped well.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »

And welcome!

You might want to make sure that Kyle is at least on par with Alex, if not a little ahead of him for a particular one v one boss fight.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »

And welcome!

I remember there are a few points you MIGHT need to grind at before you get easier access to magic restoratives?

Although fwiw the battle system's pretty balanced and there's some decent room for strategery -- SSSC is notorious for having considerably fewer spells than the previous version, but on the other hand the cheaper ones stay useful throughout, so you can actually use them in non-boss battles effectively. Oh, and you get items that cast spells too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:35:20 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

And welcome!

I remember there are a few points you MIGHT need to grind at before you get easier access to magic restoratives?

Although fwiw the battle system's pretty balanced and there's some decent room for strategery -- SSSC is notorious for having considerably fewer spells than the previous version, but on the other hand the cheaper ones stay useful throughout, so use them.

Yeah. A lot of the SegaCD spells were mostly straight damage spells of increasing damage or healing spells of increasing healing with maybe a few buffs in between. Later games trim the spell list down by a lot, to the point where in SSSC, the straight increases only really come just as the story expects you to have better means of DPS and nobody has more than 8 spells total (Nash spell list goes down from 10, Alex from 17, Jessica from 18, and Mia from 21).

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
Yeah, what I meant was grind until you're slightly better than the scrubs. Then you're good to go :) I distinctly remember reaching level 13 for the first boss meant you were in for a world of hurt, but it's been years since I've played.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »
All I remember about Lunar is playing the GBA version, making it all the way to the second part of the final battle without much trouble and getting slaughtered in two or three turns. Then going back and fighting enemies in the final dungeon, realizing that I was high enough for it to take hours to gain one level, and quitting the game for good. Don't know if it's the same for other versions, but I thought that was the most ridiculous difficulty spike I've ever encountered in a video game.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »
All I remember about Lunar is playing the GBA version, making it all the way to the second part of the final battle without much trouble and getting slaughtered in two or three turns. Then going back and fighting enemies in the final dungeon, realizing that I was high enough for it to take hours to gain one level, and quitting the game for good. Don't know if it's the same for other versions, but I thought that was the most ridiculous difficulty spike I've ever encountered in a video game.

Lunar Legend is

certainly a thing.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »

Lunar Legend is

certainly a thing.

Its better than Dragon Song (although freaking Beyond the Beyond was better than Lunar: Dragon Song).

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »
Speaking of which, considering that Beyond the Beyond, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Arc, and Shining Force 3 all came out within a three year period and were made by the same dev team afaik (also caveat, I kind of like BtB and I never played SW, only saw Let's Plays. Which is why I never played it), the gulf between the level of detail and polish in the former two and latter two is totally incomprehensible.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 02:27:52 AM »
Speaking of which, considering that Beyond the Beyond, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Arc, and Shining Force 3 all came out within a three year period and were made by the same dev team afaik (also caveat, I kind of like BtB and I never played SW, only saw Let's Plays. Which is why I never played it), the gulf between the level of detail and polish in the former two and latter two is totally incomprehensible.

I suppose its due to having more experience with what was going into those games than BtB's CRPG or SW's ARPG. Then again, going by the Golden Sun games, Camelot didn't learn their lesson on how to make a better CRPG.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 07:50:13 PM »

Shining Wisdom is fairly decent attempt at a Zelda clone marred by a really stupid control scheme. If you want to move at reasonable speed you have to repeatedly tap a button and hold it down, otherwise you walk incredibly slowly. Also, you can only equip one item at a time, which includes utility items and weapons, so you end up doing of lot of swapping items out in the menus, even more than the Game Boy Zeldas.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 03:03:16 AM »
Beyond the Beyond was my second PS1 RPG and damned if it wasn't unplayable. Shining the Holy Arc was pretty wonderful though.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 01:55:13 AM »
I bought a Lunar game from Klyde. Its on a shelf with his picture framed.