Author Topic: Best Thread Ever! (Dec. 12: Best Holiday Movie)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Best Thread Ever! (Dec. 12: Best Holiday Movie)
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Time to learn more about our community! Blatantly stolen from Dice's VGM thread idea, gonna try to do a new General Favorites topic every two weeks or so, we'll see how long people discuss each topic before deciding on an actual time frame for changes.

Anyway!

No real rules, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Try to be Picky  -  This isn't a thread about what you like, it's a thread about what you LOVE.

2. Feel Free to Suggest Topics  -  Just don't reply to your own suggestion, as then what will you talk about when it comes up?

3. First Person to Imply the Thread Title Was Inspired by NPH's Crappy Variety Show Gets Pouted At  - And mean thoughts. And sad eyes.... yes, the connection occurred to me, but only AFTER I named the thread. So there.

And of course follow standard forum rules: have fun, be respectful yadda yadda yadda.

December 12: Best Holiday Movie

================================
NOVEMBER 15: Best Comfort Food Ever!
================================

American Thanksgiving is quickly approaching, a holiday that revolves around comfort food (And disgusting bird meat for some reason... poultry = yuck) so what better topic to start us off with than what we like to stuff our faces with to make ourselves feel better (and then worse)?

GO FOR IT!

My own answer? I'm going to cheat a little and say Tex Mex. I do mean a little, because let's face it most Tex Mex is pretty much the same ingredients arranged in a slightly different way. Though if I had to pick something, it would be Chile Colorado: Beef marinated in a red chile sauce, not unlike standard red enchilada sauce. Put some of that in a tortilla with seasoned rice, beans, veggies and cheese and you have the perfect decadent taco. <3

Runner Ups

Meatloaf & Barbecue Sauce - It's like butter, but meatier.

Caesar Salad - Not what one would typically think of as a comfort food, but the dressing itself is pretty rich and it does make me feel warm and happy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:08:27 PM by Klutz64 »

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
Re: Best Thread Ever! (Nov. 15 - Best Comfort Food)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »
I think in terms of actual comfort food that I know I shouldn't have more than a few times a year, it's McDonald's chicken nuggets.  I very very rarely eat fast food, and it's pretty much been relegated to being strictly hangover food, but I love 'em.

Runners up would probably be my wife's matzo-ball soup and the acorn squash stuffed with nuts and brown sugar that my mom makes for thanksgiving.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
I actually love Turkey with all the fixings but my family's re pie involves covering the bird with strips of bacon so that the fat continually basted it.

I also love love love hamburgers. The gooier the better.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Great topic. :)

Best Answer: Anything with cheese.  Specifically, Fetuccine Alfredo (with chicken!).

Runner up: Anything iced and cream.  I'm good for the classic vanilla as the most soothing.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »
Mashed potatoes.  Potatoes, butter, milk, and seasonings to taste.  Extremely simple, filling ingredients and an AMAZING blank slate for additional flavors.  I could probably eat four ****ing pounds of mashed potatoes but they will fill you up like nobody's business.  

Runners-up

Cornbread stuffing - the best non-potato item on my family's Thanksgiving spread. Cornbread made from scratch, often with sausage and/or apples included.  It's the bibbity bomb.

Pho - my go-to restaurant "junk" food, since one large bowl has a day's worth of calories and two days' worth of sodium.  But it's so satisfying, dayum.  It helps that I grew up in an area with dozens of pho joints.  

Suggestions for future favorites topics: animated films, musical instruments, wild animals. Just trying to cast a wide net.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:47:57 PM »
i prefer discomfort food tbh.

anything shaped like a face.
macaroni noodles arranged to spell out your deepest self-doubts.
hairy mangoes.
fluttershy
dolphin veal
etc.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:53:41 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 03:41:49 AM »
My tea nearly flew out of my mouth towards my screen from laughing. You're giving me flashbacks to Sayanora, Zetsubou-sensei.

Best comfort food... Pizza with lots of spinach and garlic.

Mashed potatoes.  Potatoes, butter, milk, and seasonings to taste.  Extremely simple, filling ingredients and an AMAZING blank slate for additional flavors.  I could probably eat four ****ing pounds of mashed potatoes but they will fill you up like nobody's business. 

I totally get that, because my runner-up is... andijviestampot (mashed potatoes mixed with raw endive) with lots of mustard. Main difference is that stampot uses much less butter/milk than American mashed potatoes. Here's a recipe (I make mine without meat)

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »
Tied between BBQ ribs and BBQ pulled pork. If we're talking full meal, then either of those with mashed potaoes and grilled corn on the cob. As for dessert, hot brownie sundae with vanilla ice cream.

TASTY!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
Macaroni Cheese. Not the boxed kind though, that stuff makes me gag. The real deal. Al dente macaroni in an enriched white cheese sauce,  topped with grated chedder and put under the grill for a few minutes. Perfection. :)

Runner up - a bowl of heinz tomato soup with crusty baguette and butter.

I think I hit the comfort food brief pretty well. :p

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »
Those chocolate chips cookies that are sold in a store near my place.
I bought a box last week and again I'm surprised by how god damn good they are.
And they aren't that unhealthy when compared to other good cookies (actually not that much fat and sugar to them)

I don't think I've ever had less than 3 of those whenever I open the box (and they are pretty big, like men hand sized)
If I ever have a crappy day and a box of those, I'm pretty sure I could forget all about the day part while eating them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:17:54 PM by Annubis »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
BBQ ribs hands down.  With a twice-baked potato.  And broccoli-cheese soup.  Hell, I'll pour that soup all over the potato.

Oh and a meal of chicken tikka masala, saag paneer, and naan bread is the ultimate comfort meal for me.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:59:20 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
Waffles.

I want all of the waffles.

No syrup, only peanut butter.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
I was going to quote about ten of you all because many of you are right. T__T

I'm going to start a Suicide Prevention Service where someone calls, feeling "down" (to put it mildly), and I just bring them everything listed here. 
I feel a good meal can turn frowns upside down (again, putting it mildly).
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
All of the above.

But personally, either home made brownies that are so gooey they look like they're melting, or home made pizza. They're both the epitome of comfort, but when you make them yourself, it feels even better because it's like "Hey! I made this, and it tastes damn fantastic. Let's eat all of it and do nothing for the rest of the day."

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
Black forest cake.  That's chocolate cake with layers of cherries and whipped cream.  I hear the original German version is even better.

For a runner up, a roast beef and tomato sandwich, where the beef is nice and tender (actual slabs of slow-roasted beef, none of that thin-sliced deli stuff), and the tomatoes are vine-ripened.