Author Topic: Best Thread Ever! (Dec. 12: Best Holiday Movie)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Thread Ever! (Nov. 15 - Best Comfort Food)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Okay, not really a food, but coffee. It gives me emotional stability in a way that no other food or beverage does :S Possibly less that it makes me feel happy per se and more that it's, uh, full of mood-altering chemicals, but hey --

<this pause is so pregnant TLC gon do a show on it>
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

xpsychedelico

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
Oh man, it's been years since I've had a slice of blackforest cake! My parents used to buy it when I was a kid. It is definitely in my top 5 cakes and I don't particularly care for cake (idea for future topic! I'd also be interested in seeing favorite non-cake desserts).

My favorite is congee/porridge -- any combination of ingredients is fine as long as it contains broth, soy sauce and white pepper. I don't know what it is, but it feels more potent and calming than regular chicken soup. Whenever I'm sick it's the first thing I crave.

Runner up - chocolate! Especially chocolate mint ice cream. I think I could survive on that. I almost did that when I got my wisdom teeth taken out.
"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
man, if there was ever an RPGFan potluck the feast would be O-MAZING.  This thread is making me hungry. 

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »
^ Agreed. Thanks everyone for so many awesome responses! I was going to start replying to individuals, but that'd be tough now, so a few things I noted while reading the responses:

- I used to love Fettucine Alfredo and Mac & Cheese and all that, but I have to be careful since I'm lactose intolerant and it's only been getting worse the older I get.

- I loved your first response Mesh! Far too many things on that list I could relate to.

- Mashed potatoes and twice-baked potatoes are my two favorite side dishes of all time.

- I once tried peanut butter on a waffle and hated it, but then it was a leftover cold waffle, so who knows.

- I can't tolerate too much chocolate without some sort of dairy to cut through it. Can't eat brownies without either vanilla ice cream or a cold glass of milk.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »
I only really go for dark chocolate now? The thing with chocolate baked goods for me is that they're like always way to sugary. You can't even really taste the chocolate, they just taste like... cheap gross hot fudge syrup. So if I get a brownie, what I'd REALLY want is something with that kind of bitter/coffee-ish/fruity/earthy/maybe slightly durianish taste that dark chocolate has but inevitably it's just like doing shots of straight, distilled Hershey's syrup.

Only somehow faker. So maybe not straight Hershey's syrup, but Hershey's cut with that really gross food dye that's been in yr. grandma's pantry since the 80s.

This is also the real reason why I never eat the cake during office birthday parties. It's cheap grocery store stuff. Usually gross chocolate with gross vanilla icing.

Huge reason why I prefer vegan baked goods around here is the taste. Whatever dairy/egg free substitutes they use, especially instead of butter, really imparts this /savory/ quality that stops stuff from getting all cloying and gross. I think it's just like, salted coconut oil or something. Also blending tofu into the batter does some arcane magic on it. That stuff seems to make it ferociously moist.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »
Speaking of cloying, whenever people say that the frosting is their favorite part of cake and so those pretentious "cupcake bakeries" started by hipster college dropouts cater to that by using more frosting than cake, it makes me gag.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 12:17:16 AM »
Rusty Bucket Mac+Cheese!

Chicken Parmesan (though i get it with alfredo, not marinara) (also gotta love that this is from a blog called munchmunchnomnom)

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »
What if you made cupcake frosting by taking other cupcakes, pulverizing them, and then suspending the resultant cupcake dust in... I don't know, some fluid that would have enough body to be put on top of a cupcake without just oozing immediately off?

But then instead you use this to like, ice a, uh... mound of baked fondant. So it's like a literally deconstructed and inverted cupcake?
o/` I do not dream o/`

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 03:37:26 AM »
Speaking of cloying, whenever people say that the frosting is their favorite part of cake and so those pretentious "cupcake bakeries" started by hipster college dropouts cater to that by using more frosting than cake, it makes me gag.

I love frosting, especially cream cheese frosting, but it has to be the perfect amount. Too much makes the cake too sweet, too little and the cake is too dry. Of course, some cakes hardly need any, like lemon drizzle. I should include that in my comfort foods...

xpsychedelico

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 08:06:15 AM »
Urgh frosting. I almost always scrape 90% of it away because it's too darn sweet. I want to taste the cake, dammit, not pure sugar!
"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
Urgh frosting. I almost always scrape 90% of it away because it's too darn sweet. I want to taste the cake, dammit, not pure sugar!

Couldn't agree more. Rarely does it actually compliment the cake (IMO, of course).

Chicken Parmesan (though i get it with alfredo, not marinara) (also gotta love that this is from a blog called munchmunchnomnom)

Goddamn, that looks fantastic! I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Chicken Parmesan!!

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:58 PM »
idk how I forgot about this!

Persimmons!

They're in season right now. Go eat some. Just make sure they're ripe -- reddish orange, really soft to mushy, and sort of translucent. Underripe persimmons are gross. Also they can take like two or three weeks to ripen from the time the stores get them.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 12:12:08 AM »
I can't think about persimmons without thinking about Persona 3.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Rarely does it actually compliment the cake (IMO, of course).

Goddamn, that looks fantastic! I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Chicken Parmesan!!
That chicken parm actually looks pretty meh...the cheese is not melted all the way which leads me to believe it wasn't baked and only quickly broiled to do that, the sauce over the cheese as an afterthought is sad, and the clumped up parmesan on top is just sad. The only 3 things my mom ever made well included chicken parmigiana, and this would have made her cringe.

To be fair though, one of her other specialties was cut-up hot dogs, sliced potatoes, and baked beans pan fried together. Disgusting sounding, but when I was a kid money was tight and my mom...she didn't cook so good. But I won't lie, a plate of hotdogs beans and potatoes usually hit the spot pretty damn good.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
Meant to update this weeks ago, but school got the best of me. I apologize :(

================================
DECEMBER 12: Best Holiday Movie Ever!
================================

Everyone has one. If you don't, you're lying to yourself or you just need to go watch some more. Also, while it's absolutely a valid option, I'm pretty sure it's long past "clever" to say Die Hard.

---

My personal favorite is Muppet's Christmas Carol. I have no special feelings about Charles Dickens' story, but the Muppets' interpretation of it is wonderful. I'm also not even much of a fan of musicals, but can't get enough of the songs from MCC. It's just all around a perfect encapsulation of the holiday season.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:06:13 PM by Klutz64 »