Author Topic: Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Azure Revolution
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2017, 05:18:46 AM »
Has this thread changed to "Games with valkyrie-esque names and/or games we confuse with games that have valkyrie-esque names"?  How did we even get to Nights of Azure?

I think somebody mentioned Blue Reflection a while back too.  That actually looks...OK.  Though it's supposed to be stupidly easy and also has some yuri undertones, because of course it does.

Has anyone out there made a good magical girl RPG?  I know there have been some attempts, but they always seem to fall flat (and often aren't even localized).

Magic Knight Rayearth?

The old Magic Knight Rayearth on SNES?

Ack! Beaten to it! I was thinking of the Saturn version, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
Oh wow. I just started playing this...and as I type this a dinosaur tank just appeared. Anyways as I was saying prior to seeing that, this game is so bad. This must be what "so bad it is good" feels like. I don't think I've seen something this incompetent before and I am only half an hour in. This is going to be a magical experience.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
Oh wow. I just started playing this...and as I type this a dinosaur tank just appeared. Anyways as I was saying prior to seeing that, this game is so bad. This must be what "so bad it is good" feels like. I don't think I've seen something this incompetent before and I am only half an hour in. This is going to be a magical experience.

Wait. You mean that this is the Operation Darkness of this console generation? Shit, this might actually be worth getting.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
I'm not familiar with Operation Darkness. All I can say is that this game has made me laugh more than any other game that I can recall in its first 45 min alone....none of it was intentional, but well dinosaur tank. Mind you, after one combat I can already tell that the battle system is horrendous (only one combo string for each character which you trigger by a single button press), but I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes for this thing to go from hilariously bad to painfully bad.

...although the main character's model might have already crossed that threshold. I don't know if you have ever seen this, but there is some otome game (anime? manga?) where the datable guys have ridiculously long and thin chins...every time I see the MC from the front, I'm reminded of that series. >.>

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
So update. Game is still horrible. I'm still laughing my ass off while playing it, although that is decreasing in frequency as I become immunized to the stupidity. However, there are still plenty of incredibly stupid/incompetent things. One that I just have to call out is the way they handle the DLC.

To begin I should probably explain the framing device of the game. It sort of uses the book format from VC, but they thought that was too simple, so instead of it just being a book with the narrator being the author, they have a framing device of two people sitting in front of the grave of some specific characters from the game. One of the two characters is the great great granddaughter (at least I think that was what they said although that seems excessive for 100 years) of the teacher of two of the characters. Apparently the teacher knew the true history of what happened in the war (although I'm not sure how yet since I think she has been in one scene so far) and passed an extensively detailed account down her family (which never decided to correct the incorrect history accounts despite all of them being history professors). So every so often you get bounced from the historical events to the "present" where they have maybe two or three lines of dialogue and then you can jump between three books (a history book, a glossary, and a notebook of personal accounts). This whole framing device has so far added nothing other than the fact that the historical record is wrong about where one general was killed (and I don't understand why anyone cared enough to change the records on that...maybe they just wanted to hide the glory of dinosaur tank).

So some of the DLC is extra cut scenes (probably meant to add depth to the characters...but it fails at that) in the notebook. The way you are alerted whenever a new DLC scene has been added to the notebook due to story progression is that when you go to the present the professor just says "Oh a letter has arrived." Despite the fact that the two characters have (as far as I can tell) just been sitting there doing nothing other than talking about the "true history," so the other character should have noticed if a mail carrier just happened to walk about for the third time in a single day.

Also while I am thinking about it, the professor's line of "This is a true story," whenever I start a new chapter is freaking annoying. Say something relevant to the new chapter dammit!

On a different note, I'm actually kind of enjoying the battle system. It is complete and total horseshit, but I do enjoy steam rolling enemy soldiers and I am doing that in spades in this game. So I can overlook the fact that is a single button press for an entire combo because of the fact that everything basically insta-dies if I sneeze on them (probably helps that I am playing on easy).

Edit: Oh right forgot about one other thing I wanted to comment on. There are weird cuts for scenes and optional scenes. For example there was one sequence of events recently that was particularly bad. There was a scene establishing that one of your soldiers was researching something at a newspaper office. At the end he walks by a freelance reporter who asks a question about who that was to the newspaper's editor. The scene ends without the editor answering. This point in the story unlocks two optional scenes in the history book. The first repeats the last twenty seconds of the scenes of the soldier walking away and then proceeds to show the conversation between the editor and the reporter (which adds nothing that the player doesn't already know). It also unlocks a scene of the soldier reporting his findings to the princess. Again nothing new is shown. But after the soldier explains the stuff that we already know he says that he has confirmed the princess's thoughts on the identity of a character, the princess asks how he knows, and the scene ends with no explanation for how he confirmed the identity (which would have qualified as something new). The whole sequence was just befuddling.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:59:11 PM by Ranadiel »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »

I'll have you know that its a Dragon Tank.   

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

BS, that is a Brontosaurus Tank and you know it...I mean technically is a Brontosaurus Mech since it has none of the characteristics of a tank, but by this game's weird definition of a tank it is a Brontosaurus Tank. I don't care what the mook general called it. He was an idiot and completely unimportant.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

BS, that is a Brontosaurus Tank and you know it...I mean technically is a Brontosaurus Mech since it has none of the characteristics of a tank, but by this game's weird definition of a tank it is a Brontosaurus Tank. I don't care what the mook general called it. He was an idiot and completely unimportant.

I dunno how I made it to the 30 min mark just watching it on the youtubes. Mitsuda didn't deserve this.

Judging from the character design you could have shown me an image and told me that Shiki was getting rebooted and I would have believed you.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:57:08 PM by Rook »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »

I dunno how I made it to the 30 min mark just watching it on the youtubes. Mitsuda didn't deserve this.

Judging from the character design you could have shown me an image and told me that Shiki was getting rebooted and I would have believed you.

Because the game is (unintentionally) hilarious? I mean I haven't encountered any new Brontosaurus Tanks since chapter 1, but there have been plenty of Giant Scorpion "Tanks" in random missions.

Side note, map makers must be making a killing in this universe. Every time I take over some new territory (or presumably lose some territory) there is a newly printed map color coded to show the new boundaries instead of them just using flags to identify who owns the territory. Hell there was one territory I apparently captured half of and they printed a new map just to show the territory was half and half.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
BS, that is a Brontosaurus Tank and you know it...I mean technically is a Brontosaurus Mech since it has none of the characteristics of a tank, but by this game's weird definition of a tank it is a Brontosaurus Tank.

It took me a bit to find footage of that critter.  I'm leaning toward the "dinosaur" interpretation (camarasaurus, I'd say).

Even once we stop pretending it's a tank, it's a complete disaster as a mech.  Exposed hydraulics?  Really?  Forget about AP rounds, you could immobilize that thing by walking up and jamming an iron bar into the leg mechanism.

And those cannon-mountings are absurd.  Those cannons are going to mangle the support frame if they try to shoot anything heavier than a potato.

But that infantry units can apparently just walk up to the thing and whack at it without being riddled by machine gun fire is what really gives me a headache. Maybe those cannons really are shooting potatoes. Is this even supposed to be related to VC?

So update. Game is still horrible. I'm still laughing my ass off while playing it, although that is decreasing in frequency as I become immunized to the stupidity.

I don't think I could play this myself, but I am enjoying your account of it.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »

It took me a bit to find footage of that critter.  I'm leaning toward the "dinosaur" interpretation (camarasaurus, I'd say).

Even once we stop pretending it's a tank, it's a complete disaster as a mech.  Exposed hydraulics?  Really?  Forget about AP rounds, you could immobilize that thing by walking up and jamming an iron bar into the leg mechanism.

And those cannon-mountings are absurd.  Those cannons are going to mangle the support frame if they try to shoot anything heavier than a potato.

But that infantry units can apparently just walk up to the thing and whack at it without being riddled by machine gun fire is what really gives me a headache. Maybe those cannons really are shooting potatoes. Is this even supposed to be related to VC?
You forgot the fact that the giant crystal in its "chest" is its power source. I think the idea is supposed to similar to the ragnite radiators in VC...only you know in VC they hid the radiators behind the tank so it wouldn't get shot at while it was walking towards infantry and as the war went on the enemies (and the MCs) developed improved radiators that limited the angles of approach. Here ever tank has a giant crystal powering it front and center for easy demolition! Let no one ever say that the fantasy Russians weren't friendly to their enemies.

And the game isn't directly related to VC. Essentially it is an alternate universe where people seem to be able to get partial Valkyrian powers from ragnite (not explicitly said but it seems accurate). So I guess the Valkyrians bred with their worker class to spread a weakened version of the Valkyrian genes to all the people in the land in this timeline? Or something like that.

I don't think I could play this myself, but I am enjoying your account of it.
Well not a whole lot to report on it at the moment other than the freaking territory control side missions are annoying. The way the game works is that you have three random side missions in territories you have already had main missions. If you ignore side missions in a territory too many times then a side mission to defend the territory will pop up. It is possible for the normal army to win on its own depending on the size of the force deployed (represented by the size of the wooden pieces on the territory), but the annoying thing is you can have multiple territories come under attack at once. So right now I have two territories being attacked and I have to defend one of them and hope that the other lasts for one round so I don't lose it while I am fighting (one clearly has a larger enemy force while the other has a scorpion tank attacking....not sure if a larger allied force can handle a scorpion tank or not). This happens constantly and is really annoying since item selection and prices in the capital are based on how many territories you own.

Edit: Fucking hell, I just realized that I have spent the entire day just doing this stupid territory defense. And I am down two territories as a result. This thing is horrible. It is easy to get multiple territories attacked at once and it takes forever for an opportunity to recapture it. Oh well at least I am up 15 levels on the next story mission?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:20:08 PM by Ranadiel »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Okay in terms of problems that this game has, this problem would probably be below rank 50 if they were ranked by how serious they are, but dear god is it getting on my nerves. So they only rendered one flag for the nation. Specifically the pennant style flag that is unfurled when you conquer a base. That flag is meant to be viewed vertically...but they used it horizontally on top of the towers around the training field. So every time there is a scene set there (which is probably one of the three most common places), I see the sideways eagle and I internally scream "How were so cheap that they couldn't render a second flag?"

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
You forgot the fact that the giant crystal in its "chest" is its power source. I think the idea is supposed to similar to the ragnite radiators in VC...only you know in VC they hid the radiators behind the tank so it wouldn't get shot at while it was walking towards infantry and as the war went on the enemies (and the MCs) developed improved radiators that limited the angles of approach. Here ever tank has a giant crystal powering it front and center for easy demolition! Let no one ever say that the fantasy Russians weren't friendly to their enemies.

But if it didn't have a weak point then what would you attack for massive damage?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »
BS, that is a Brontosaurus Tank and you know it...I mean technically is a Brontosaurus Mech since it has none of the characteristics of a tank, but by this game's weird definition of a tank it is a Brontosaurus Tank.

...And yet it looks a lot like a zoid to me...maybe it's supposed to be experimental? And that's why there was only one?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
So a new issue I discovered last night. There are some story missions that are two-parters where you set up camp in between the two missions so that you can replenish your consumable items before going to stage 2, an that is all you can do in camp. You can leave camp and come back at any time, but it is set up to encourage you to go straight into your next mission....without telling you that the territory minigame advanced during map 1. So if played as intended, you are likely to lose territory during a two-part mission. Easy to work around since you have to leave camp to upgrade your weapons (one of these days I should go on a weapon upgrade rant), but still stupid design.

But if it didn't have a weak point then what would you attack for massive damage?
Well they could at least try to hide the weak point? Or be intelligent regarding the design of how freaking obvious the weak point is?

...And yet it looks a lot like a zoid to me...maybe it's supposed to be experimental? And that's why there was only one?
Pretty sure that the robot was supposed to be the signature tank of one of the four legendary generals of the "Ruks" (Ruskies). So no one else uses one because it was designed specifically for this amazing general...and then it was taken out by a bunch of people swinging swords on their first mission. My head canon is everyone hated this general so it was made intentionally weak. I feel it is supported by the fact that his outfit was just a bright red officer's uniform. It was meant to draw attention to him on the battlefield so he would get shot.