Author Topic: Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Azure Revolution
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
What little info I can find suggests the game is not good.  @Aeolus

Famitsu gave it 8/9/8/7 for 32/40. I dunno what this means because doesn't a 9/10 mean avg. game over at Famitusu?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
In what is the surprise of the year there are no breasts on the box art.

I don't think we'll get bigger shocks out of E3 or TGS this year.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
In what is the suprise of the year there are no breasts on the box art.

Not that shocked. https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/2/2/5/162225_front.jpg

(Female Lead!? What's that?)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »

Famitsu gave it 8/9/8/7 for 32/40. I dunno what this means because doesn't a 9/10 mean avg. game over at Famitusu?

Famitsu scores are essentially random.  Or perhaps a function of how much they've been bribed if you're feeling cynical.  Plenty of bad games get high scores but I've also seen some pretty good games get low scores.

If you think about it for a second the realities of the video game reviewing business are such that it's hard enough for most publications to make ends meet with only one person reviewing each game.  Famitsu expects us to believe that they have four people play and review every single game.  Please.  Most of them probably didn't even play the game for more than a few minutes.

The funny thing is everyone continues to cite Famitsu because most Japanese publications don't even do numeric scores.  They expect you to actually read the review.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »

Famitsu scores are essentially random.  Or perhaps a function of how much they've been bribed if you're feeling cynical.  Plenty of bad games get high scores but I've also seen some pretty good games get low scores.

If you think about it for a second the realities of the video game reviewing business are such that it's hard enough for most publications to make ends meet with only one person reviewing each game.  Famitsu expects us to believe that they have four people play and review every single game.  Please.  Most of them probably didn't even play the game for more than a few minutes.

The funny thing is everyone continues to cite Famitsu because most Japanese publications don't even do numeric scores.  They expect you to actually read the review.

Going a little OT here:

I used to love the old Dave Halverson mags (Gamefan, Gamers Republic, Play etc) but their ratings were always such garbage and I never paid attn to them. It was pretty well known that he traded ratings for access. Despite that those magazines were just incredible and to DH's credit he often beat the drum for less well known games and put those games on the cover. EGM (which was never afraid to be critical) and other mags couldn't come close to how those magazines looked. Granted those mags often looked so good because he'd stiff investors and not pay writers.

Its funny this one even looks like a persona 5 cover.

I do miss gaming magazines, some british ones are good (Retro gamer) and admittedly Game Informer is a pretty good mag since they were taken over by gamestop. Granted gamestop is still evil but they at least do one thing alright (sort of how Comcast's soccer coverage is tremendous but that doesn't mean that comcast should not but in the fires of hell for all of eternity).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:56:27 PM by Rook »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2017, 02:42:13 AM »
Er so did anyone play this..? Was it any good..? I gave up for some reason... oh yeah probably never getting a PS4.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
It doesn't come out till next week in English. I plan on being the sacrificial lamb for discovering exactly how bad it is. x_x

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
It doesn't come out till next week in English. I plan on being the sacrificial lamb for discovering exactly how bad it is. x_x

Wait, are you sure you're talking about Valkyria Revolution? Or Black Rose Valkyrie? Because the latter I would believe was terrible without a second thought, but...Valkyria doesn't look that bad from what I've seen.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

Wait, are you sure you're talking about Valkyria Revolution? Or Black Rose Valkyrie? Because the latter I would believe was terrible without a second thought, but...Valkyria doesn't look that bad from what I've seen.

If what I've heard mumblings about are true, word across the Pacific is it ain't great.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Well, I just figure it's better not to jump to conclusions. I also don't remember the last time giving credence to a random game of telephone from across the language barrier ever benefitted me in the slightest, so...I'll wait until I see reviews from English Language sites before I start considering an alternate point of view.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
Usually when a company takes a much beloved IP with a hardcore fanbase and completely changes it, it goes really well.  So I think this Valkyria Big Boob Revolution is going to hit at least 90+ on metacritic and sell a million.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

I'm talking about Valkyria Revolution. I would not mix up that with Black Rose Valkyrie. I've sworn off of Idea Factory except for Record of Agarast War (which they seem to have stopped making...so I've sworn off them completely). As Klutz mentioned, the mumblings from importers for this game is that is not good. I'm hoping that is wrong, but I'm not going in with high expectations. I'll probably be happily surprised if I get Valkyria Chronicles 2 level of quality. *sigh*

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »
I'll wait to see some reviews before I reject it outright, but this game hasn't looked good since we initially saw some gameplay video. It sucks because the VC franchise could have been so promising, but then Sega did what Sega does and made baffling decisions about the future of the series after the first entry. First it moved to PSP, which was basically a death sentence for the series anywhere but Japan. And now this.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Sega pretty much fudged up the Shining series, too. I checked GameFAQs and Revolution has a low average rating from those who played it, so I'm not too optimistic, either.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »

Oh ok, I saw it on sale somewhere but that must of just been the pre-order and get it next week type.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.