Author Topic: Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyria: Azure Revolution
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
WHOA WHOA WHOA Mitsuda is doing the music!?

Instabuy.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
The first footage is out and..... eh.  I was already really worried that this was going to be more action-y than the original games, and this seems to confirm those fears.  At least I'm not the only one disappointed:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166375-Valkyria-Azure-Revolution-Ditches-Tactics-Gameplay-for-Action-Combat

The game could end up being awesome, but it's weird that they would ditch so much of the original game.  Maybe there's still some elements and they just haven't shown them yet?  Whatever the case, Sega continues to be Sega. 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
Well, to be fair, they also aren't calling it Valkyria Chronicles, just Valkyria, so this is more likely a spin-off than a replacement for the tactical games.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
Good point, Stephen.  I'd be thrilled if they announced another tactical game in the near future.  No real complaints from me if this is a side project, but I'll be pretty sad if this is a new direction for the series. 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
Good point, Stephen.  I'd be thrilled if they announced another tactical game in the near future.  No real complaints from me if this is a side project, but I'll be pretty sad if this is a new direction for the series. 

Yeah that would be really sad for you. BRB gonna go play Phantasy Star.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »
...if you're playing Phantasy Star Online 2 then I'm going to hurt you. 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »
Silver hair (main character?) looks like he's straight out of Fantasy May Cry VII: Dirge of Valkyria

Sega, I really do appreciate you trying to be a games company again with you know orginal IPs and stuff too! That being said all you had to do Sega was take the VC HD engine, clean up few little things in the battle engine (like being able to duck under crates and stuff), write a new story with new maps and we'd have all been estatic.

Anyway its Mistuda + Media Vison + Valkyria-ish so of course I'll buy it.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 01:53:51 AM »
Silver hair (main character?) looks like he's straight out of Fantasy May Cry VII: Dirge of Valkyria

Sega, I really do appreciate you trying to be a games company again with you know orginal IPs and stuff too! That being said all you had to do Sega was take the VC HD engine, clean up few little things in the battle engine (like being able to duck under crates and stuff), write a new story with new maps and we'd have all been estatic.

Anyway its Mistuda + Media Vison + Valkyria-ish so of course I'll buy it.

Blame that one on Koei/Gust as the characters are being done by the Atelier artist.

And I can't blame them for mixing up the genre with Valkyrie Warriors here as nothing drains the life out of an IP faster than yearly iterations (aside from really skevy games with trainwreck plots and wonky mechanics *cough*The3rdBirthday*cough*Metroid:OtherM*hack**cough*, but that's more along the lines of driving a stake through the heart). Next game they can do that.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »
I finally got around to watching that gameplay footage.  WTF was that shit...

Look, I was never that bothered by the fact that it's not a strategy game even though I love the original games.  There's nothing wrong with trying something new in a spin-off.  But this looks more like a Dynasty Warriors clone that Valkyria.  Why the huge emphasis on melee combat in a spin-off of a game that didn't even have melee combat?  (OK, I know melee units were introduced in the 2nd game but they were very specialized...)  While they do carry guns here it feels more like it's out of obligation.   They seemed totally ineffective most of the time, other than for stunning enemies to make the subsequent melee combat easier.  And that melee combat seems to be the 'real' game, so to speak.  Just look at how all the characters behave identically when using guns but have entirely unique sets of moves in melee.  Or the fact that the bosses apparently stand there totally immune to bullets until you get into melee range to start the battle...

Also, were they using magic?!  WTF?

Beyond the gameplay the character designs as well feel very generic, all the way down to the giant sword for the main character (seriously that thing is fucking huge...).  Now before somebody pops up and says Valkyria Chronicles followed plenty of anime tropes itself: Yes it did but it still managed to have an identity of its own.  A consistent style.  These designs are all over the place.  They feel like extras from any random low-budget JRPG.

Maybe this game could be fun (though honestly the gameplay looks boring as heck from what I've seen...) but it doesn't look anything like Valkyria Chronicles.  Why is this even a VC game instead of something original?  It feels completely shoehorned into the VC universe.

So I may not be that bothered by the fact that it's an action game, but I am bothered by...basically everything else about this game.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »

Look, I was never that bothered by the fact that it's not a strategy game even though I love the original games.  There's nothing wrong with trying something new in a spin-off.  But this looks more like a Dynasty Warriors clone that Valkyria.  Why the huge emphasis on melee combat in a spin-off of a game that didn't even have melee combat?  (OK, I know melee units were introduced in the 2nd game but they were very specialized...)  While they do carry guns here it feels more like it's out of obligation.   They seemed totally ineffective most of the time, other than for stunning enemies to make the subsequent melee combat easier.  And that melee combat seems to be the 'real' game, so to speak.  Just look at how all the characters behave identically when using guns but have entirely unique sets of moves in melee.  Or the fact that the bosses apparently stand there totally immune to bullets until you get into melee range to start the battle...

Beyond the gameplay the character designs as well feel very generic, all the way down to the giant sword for the main character (seriously that thing is fucking huge...).  Now before somebody pops up and says Valkyria Chronicles followed plenty of anime tropes itself: Yes it did but it still managed to have an identity of its own.  A consistent style.  These designs are all over the place.  They feel like extras from any random low-budget JRPG.

Maybe this game could be fun (though honestly the gameplay looks boring as heck from what I've seen...) but it doesn't look anything like Valkyria Chronicles.  Why is this even a VC game instead of something original?  It feels completely shoehorned into the VC universe.

So I may not be that bothered by the fact that it's an action game, but I am bothered by...basically everything else about this game.

I thought the idea was that everyone's a Valkyria now instead of just Titty General who was shrugging off tank shells with a shield and lance in the first game?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
I thought the idea was that everyone's a Valkyria now instead of just Titty General who was shrugging off tank shells with a shield and lance in the first game?

ROFL! That's a perfect way of describing the trailer.

I'll wait and see what happens. I'm still interested, but the trailer really didn't make any kind of sense to me.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »
Titty General

This is probably the biggest (only?) problem with featuring main characters with disproportionately-large breasts: the boobs are all people are going to remember. :(

Why the huge emphasis on melee combat in a spin-off of a game that didn't even have melee combat? 

Why is this even a VC game instead of something original?  It feels completely shoehorned into the VC universe.

It really sounds like you just hate spinoffs.  So let me ask:
 - Why can't this have melee combat?  Why?  Is there any good reason?  Because one game in a franchise that this is based on, that was a completely different genre of game, didn't have melee combat?  Not good enough.
 - What's wrong with magic in a fantasy game?  Do you hate all games that use magic?  Of course not.  This isn't a big deal.  I hope you're not one of those people that just hates things because it's "cool" to hate things on the internet.
 - This isn't a VC game and it isn't taking place in the established VC universe, so.... that might just get to the root of your complaints.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
It really sounds like you just hate spinoffs.  So let me ask

It sounds to me like you have a different definition of spin-off than I do.

- Why can't this have melee combat?  Why?  Is there any good reason?  Because one game in a franchise that this is based on, that was a completely different genre of game, didn't have melee combat?  Not good enough.

You misunderstand.  I have absolutely no problem with melee combat in a setting where it makes sense.  That isn't this setting.

First of all, despite some fantastical elements VC always had a fairly down-to-earth vibe.  It was clearly inspired by WW2 more than your typical sword and sorcery stuff.  Melee combat doesn't really make any sense there.

Second of all, combat in VC was always very lethal.  Most standard enemies could be taken out with a single well-placed attack.  But the only way they could fit melee combat into this game was to nerf guns, almost laughably so.  Look at the gameplay video.  They fire clip after clip after clip at enemies and do almost nothing.  It feels almost like the designers didn't even want guns but included them because they felt they had to.

- What's wrong with magic in a fantasy game?  Do you hate all games that use magic?  Of course not.  This isn't a big deal.  I hope you're not one of those people that just hates things because it's "cool" to hate things on the internet.

First of all that is an incredibly immature and unnecessary 'counterargument'.

And again, I don't hate magic.  I hate butchering the setting.  VC actually had a pretty original setting.  There were fantasy elements (like the Valkyria themselves) but they were used sparingly.  And overt spellcasting, even by Valkyria, was never part of that setting.  So excuse me for not being happy about the original elements being ripped out of an original setting to turn it into a generic sword and sorcery hack and slash.

- This isn't a VC game and it isn't taking place in the established VC universe, so.... that might just get to the root of your complaints.

OK, so it has completely different gameplay, a completely different aesthetic, and a completely different setting...

That's not even a spin-off.  That's an unrelated game they slapped 'Valkyria' in the title because they were afraid to sell it on its own merits...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
Well, sorry I was Mr. Cranky Pants this morning.  Still totally mystified by your beef, however.

That's not even a spin-off.  That's an unrelated game they slapped 'Valkyria' in the title because they were afraid to sell it on its own merits...

So it's a brand new game that borrows aesthetic elements from Valkyria Chronicles.  Don't see what the problem is.  Perhaps Sega wants to make "Valkyria" a Final Fantasy-type brand?  Really don't know why you're calling this "generic", either.  It has promise.

I get that it failed to meet your expectations, but couldn't the finished product exceed them?  I want a new Valkyria Chronicles as much as, if not more than, most people.  But I think it's premature to hate this game just because it's not it.

If it seems like I am overreacting to your complaints, it's because I probably am.  The constant negativity in gaming culture these days has grown tiresome.  Didn't mean to take it out on you.