Author Topic: Playstation Experience 2015

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
Playstation Experience 2015
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Anyone else watching the stream? I'm just thinking "They're jus gonna open with FF7 gameplay? That's very ambitious". Already shaping up to be interesting, maybe even possibly some free stuff? We got plants vs zombies garden warfare last year and that was actually really awesome. Also, Barrett totally looks like Wesley Snipes Blade.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:29:51 AM by kofvscapcom »
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Playstaion Experience 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
Anyone else watching the stream? I'm just thinking "They're jus gonna open with FF7 gameplay? That's very ambitious". Already shaping up to be interesting, maybe even possibly some free stuff? We got plants vs zombies garden warfare last year and that was actually really awesome. Also, Barrett totally looks like Wesley Snipes Blade.
YO HE REALLY DOES THOUGH!

If they keep the story intact and all the sidequests and minigames get the same facelift, this game will easily be my favorite game whenever it comes out. I only watched the trailer, so don't shoot me on this, but did they announce a release date or window for it?

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Ni no Kuni 2 is kinda odd... does anyone have fond memories of the first one? It was fun for a bit, but I actually had to give that one up it dragged along so much.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
Ni no Kuni 2 is kinda odd... does anyone have fond memories of the first one? It was fun for a bit, but I actually had to give that one up it dragged along so much.

I didn't, but this is Level 5 we're talking about, so no matter how grindy and dull their jank ass games end up being, people will still throw money at them by the shovel load.

Our generation's kids are the new cash cow and Level 5 is on it like stink on a shit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
I really liked the first Ni no Kuni's soundtrack, but I never played it.  I might give it a try down the line, I'm not opposed to Level-5's brand of whimsy most of the time (<3 Layton). 

But really, that FF VII trailer, damn.  Looks slick. 

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
The first Ni no Kuni was ok, it's just quite long for a modern jrpg. Also the pathfinding for your creatures were a pain at time. The soundtrack was extraordinary though. The new SF 5 character looks hilarious, although it's pretty weird to think that Bison replaced Sagat with this guy. Hopefully the first ace combat game in a long time isn't VR only. Wonder if they'll make any big changes to the FF7 plot, is chrono triggering Aeris back a possibility?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
The first Ni no Kuni was ok, it's just quite long for a modern jrpg. Also the pathfinding for your creatures were a pain at time. The soundtrack was extraordinary though. The new SF 5 character looks hilarious, although it's pretty weird to think that Bison replaced Sagat with this guy. Hopefully the first ace combat game in a long time isn't VR only. Wonder if they'll make any big changes to the FF7 plot, is chrono triggering Aeris back a possibility?

I'm figuring that Aerith isn't even going to be playable in this. But only because its no longer 1997 and temporary party members without a bunch of flags spelling out 'temporary' flashing overhead are no longer a thing anymore (it can still happen, but its more of the exception rather than the rule now).

As for the specifics on Ni no Kuni 1, it was a pretty kids anime and a really good cat herding simulator with its lovely AI, but the plot dragged on for far too long and monsters were a PitA to deal with since there were a few needed for a quest or two and had dismal join rates, and none of it really mattered since you basically just needed to hit Bone Valley or whatever it was with the Dinosaur and recruit one of them (which isn't all that hard) and all the critters before and since were basically just made obsolete.

As for SFV, I'm not too terribly thrilled about Guile being DLC (I guess it makes sense storywise, but I still don't like it because it means that Guile's Theme is DLC and that's unacceptable).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »
Strange, Level 5 made 5 pretty brilliant games in a row at one point (Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, DQ VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'Arc) so I'd always held them in high esteem.  I bought Nino no Kuni a while ago based solely on my fond memories of the previous titles, still haven't played it though.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
Strange, Level 5 made 5 pretty brilliant games in a row at one point (Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, DQ VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'Arc) so I'd always held them in high esteem.  I bought Nino no Kuni a while ago based solely on my fond memories of the previous titles, still haven't played it though.

A lot of those have some serious jank to them as well (the PS4 port of DC1 should have a trophy for using all of your characters rather than just Kitty, Boobs and Bunny; same with Monica's Monster Transformations in DC2; there's no salvaging Rogue Galaxy's plot or characters though). DQVIII was probably the least janky of those due to Squeenix's involvement.

I guess its still better than them announcing WKC3 4. That thing was garbage from the start and only got worse when literally half the duology disappeared into the aether (the MMO half, WKC2's solo mode was little more than an expansion pack for WKC1's solo mode and didn't play well with it either).

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Ni No Kuni. The characters were lovely and the story was quite enjoyable as was the music. The only downside was the very meh gameplay (either you didn't have the dino guy and shit was hard or you did have the dino guy and it was a breeze), but I was ok with that. To get a sequel where they could possibly fix some of those problems would be absolutely lovely.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
Rogue Galaxy was great.  Never understood why people enjoy hating on it so much.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
A lot of games have that one monster or equip that makes the game a breeze when you have them, not sure you can balance a game completely when you have so many possibilities, it's ff tactics syndrome. Oh man, I remember Chichu in FF 13-2, that thing killed the final boss by itself while the boss was busy air comboing me. Ni no Kuni 2 might actually be better off making it turn based completely, the monsters wandering around on their own sometimes led to them making some poor decisions. Glad some signs of life for the vita, I am planning to get the new gundam extreme vs on it. Really annoyed Yakuza 5s ps3 only, too lazy to pull mine back out.

The non-turn based thing for FF7 brings up a lotta questions about how skills and summons are gonna work now. It also brings up the interesting possibility of now different limit breaks can be useful in different situations now whereas instead of just which one does the most damage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:48:50 PM by kofvscapcom »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 05:57:01 AM »
A lot of games have that one monster or equip that makes the game a breeze when you have them, not sure you can balance a game completely when you have so many possibilities, it's ff tactics syndrome. Oh man, I remember Chichu in FF 13-2, that thing killed the final boss by itself while the boss was busy air comboing me. Ni no Kuni 2 might actually be better off making it turn based completely, the monsters wandering around on their own sometimes led to them making some poor decisions. Glad some signs of life for the vita, I am planning to get the new gundam extreme vs on it. Really annoyed Yakuza 5s ps3 only, too lazy to pull mine back out.

The non-turn based thing for FF7 brings up a lotta questions about how skills and summons are gonna work now. It also brings up the interesting possibility of now different limit breaks can be useful in different situations now whereas instead of just which one does the most damage.

Chichu was basically for the minmaxing spergs though, since it was a pain in the ass to find, and to raise, and to feed, but hey, now you have a murderball of death that just nuzzles up against something and it explodes in a world of pain, even though nothing in the base game really warrants that much sheer firepower.

FFT though, was completely borked from the word 'go'. The difficulty curve is predicated on the idea that you have abilities to mix and match and thus every enemy in the game will either bring bigger stats (random encounters since they level scale), super abilities that are impossible to get outside of recruiting a character that uses them if at all (i.e. bosses) or slightly better gear than what's currently available (everything else) and guess which doesn't hold up at all to a Teleporting Magic Up Wizard Samurai that just ports to a Knight's backside then drops a Draw Out on their ass. Not helping matters was that most story encounters tended to field Knights and Archers which might be thematically appropriate, but not very practical in a game where said Jobs suck ass compared to most others.

As for the NEW FFVII, I'm guessing its going to be along the lines of Kingdom Hearts, but with some FFXIII-3 flavor added to taste (or less optimistically, the secret ingredient will be Type-0 or Teh 3rd Birthday).

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:19:54 AM »
Now that I've slept on it, I have to say I'm pretty surprised Persona 5 didn't have a presence at the main presser.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 05:34:25 AM »
Now that I've slept on it, I have to say I'm pretty surprised Persona 5 didn't have a presence at the main presser.

I feel like that might have to do with their other Persona/hashtag Fire Emblem coming out in a couple of days in Japan, and the marketing department gearing up for that release instead (plus there'll be other opportunities across the year 2016 to talk about it).