Author Topic: Ys VIII

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
I have this issue with Danganronpa V3 too. I don't know what it looks like on PS4, but to charge $40 and $60 for the same game seems really sketchy to me.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
I got mine for the PS4 today on Amazon. It's been ages since I've played a YS game. ^_^

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
Enjoying it so far. I like how the island has very recognizable areas so you know where you are, and you can see other recognizable areas. I just wish there weren't so many transitions between each area like a KH game, and that you could just travel around without that. Also don't really care for the village defense stuff, but overall I like exploring. I've always been a sucker for "mysterious island" stories.

And if this takes place between Ys V and Ys VI, that mean Napishtim happens after this... meaning Adol and Dogi go through two shipwrecks in a row. XD Why did they do that anyway? Barring a few connections between the lore of the games, they're each pretty stand-alone, so I don't see why they couldn't just set it after VII.

Dana kind of reminds me of Tia from Ys VII design-wise. Blue hair and all.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
^ it's sort of an inside joke how bad Adol's luck is with ships.  I think they allude to it at the beginning of Celceta.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
^ it's sort of an inside joke how bad Adol's luck is with ships.  I think they allude to it at the beginning of Celceta.

Its also a shared trait with many heroes of 'Walking the Earth' type stories (the Ur example being Ulysses in Homer's The Iliad/The Odyssey).

Also, Ys enjoys quite a few inside jokes like Dogi being the Breaker of Walls while Adol is the Breaker of Hearts/Ships, the only trait more outlandish than being an 'Adventurer' is being a ginger (and in fact Adol's fiery red hair is so powerful that not even transformation magic can hide his red mop), and that Adol is an amazingly detailed sperg to find the time and ability to 'recall' all of these events without losing any details and record them into journals for historian narrators to read.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
and that Adol is an amazingly detailed sperg to find the time and ability to 'recall' all of these events without losing any details and record them into journals for historian narrators to read.
To be fair, his recollection wasn't perfect. I mean there are what? Three versions of the events of Ys 4 because the historian narrators can't figure out what happened? I realize the most recent release is the "most accurate" version of events, but still his journal wasn't perfect on that adventure. :p

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
and that Adol is an amazingly detailed sperg to find the time and ability to 'recall' all of these events without losing any details and record them into journals for historian narrators to read.
To be fair, his recollection wasn't perfect. I mean there are what? Three versions of the events of Ys 4 because the historian narrators can't figure out what happened? I realize the most recent release is the "most accurate" version of events, but still his journal wasn't perfect on that adventure. :p

Nah, that was just hearsay that went unconfirmed until recently when the historian finally dug up Adol's journals on the matter. They're still looking for Adol's true account of Ys V.

That being said, Ys III....
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
I played for a couple of hours this morning.  The combat is a blast.  Also, while I do think the game is pretty, it isn't as impressive visually as other Playstation 4 games, which is fine since the game play is so good.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
My map is sitting at ~90%, so I should be able to finish it before the weekend.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about the pacing of the gane. It's a lot slower than the usual Ys. Sometimes I just want to explore more, but the game is all like: Nope, interception time. Nope, story time. Nope, dream time. That said, it doesn't linger too long on any of the segments and the variation is nice.

My biggest complaint, however, is that the best character is not playable.

Spoiler: show
Damnit, Falcom! Don't introduce a gladiator grandma only to make her an unimportant NPC! Forget about the genki loli, I want to see an old lady with a giant longsword beat up the final boss!

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »
Holy crap, the ending of chapter 2 threw me for a loop.

Spoiler: show
For all the usual anime talk of everybody working together despite their differences and all making me pretty comfortable and thinking I knew how things were going to go down, they sure weren't afraid to kill the living hell out of three characters in half an hour. Carlan's death, I actively cheered for. The Captain, I was genuinely sad about, and the doctor's was hilarious. He sets himself up to be a recurring villain and a dinosaur just eats his ass. I loved the mystery aspect but I did just want to end that plotline rather than drag it out, so I'm happy. And chapter 3 looks to be a complete change of pace, so I'm looking forward to that.

So yeah, besides the interceptions and some tedium doing sidequests (hate timed sidequests), I'm having a blast.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:58:18 PM by Nel_Annette »

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
Started the Vita version this afternoon as that's all GameFly had in stock (I would have preferred PS4, but eh.) The combat is some of the best I've played in an RPG—so smooth! Really enjoying it so far. I should be nearing the end of chapter 2.

Did anyone else make new costumes as soon as they could? Visual costume changes is one of my favorite elements in any game.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
Did anyone else make new costumes as soon as they could? Visual costume changes is one of my favorite elements in any game.

You may have just sold me on this game. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
And done! Took me 52 hours, but I was a bit of a perfectionist and completed most of the 'big' things. Maps and treasures at 100% and all that. I do regret not being able to find two gift items, meaning I couldn't get two appreciation events :( I wonder where they are... I don't think they could be random flotsam/fishing treasures, maybe rewards for completing interception/suppression quests? I hope not, I don't really feel like completing the L80+ ones...

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like typical Ys game, but I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Probably depends on what you're in the mood for. The pacing is slower and the game is lighter on puzzle-platforming than some other recent entries, but the combat is great and some of the bosses were amazing. If anything, the not-so-Ys-like things reminded me of other games I really enjoyed. Stranded Kids, Link's Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles (mostly because of the 'omygodomygod, the t-rex is gonna kil me, please run, run faster, dash damnit! o_o)... That sort of stuff.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:31 AM »
I'm hijacking this thread momentarily to ask a quick question:

At what point in the series is it best to play Origin? I just finished Ys I, but I bought Origin in the last Steam sale so I'm just curious at what point will I be able to fully enjoy the inevitable references and gameplay mechanics of the game?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2017, 02:30:13 AM »
Right after Ys II would best, I think. That makes it most likely you'll catch all the references.

As for gameplay, unless you plan on digging up all sorts of very old Ys-games, you'll jump right from 'we don't have enough buttons to let Adol attack like a normal person' to 'very smooth and fast-paced action RPG'. But Ys Origin is a bit of a outlier to begin with. Instead of an island to explore, you get this almost metroidvania-like dungeon. Which is awesome, if you ask me, but... it's not the typical Ys adventure.