Author Topic: Ys VIII

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
[redacted-- something about Lord Monarch/Dragon Slayer I meant to post in the LoH thread]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:27:29 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2016, 02:51:44 AM »
[redacted-- something about Lord Monarch/Dragon Slayer I meant to post in the LoH thread]

I was wondering if you meant the Lord Monarch series with Mon^2.

As for your original question, I wouldn't be surprised. Falcom's pretty okay with referencing their other games in their own games. Then again, the Poms feel like a Trails in the Thing, which only happened well after Lord Monarch. I do know that the fairy in Nayuta is a Pom.

Also, I too hope that Xanadu Next's upcoming Steam port (it was either Steam or Mobile, I forget which) fixes the font (it will probably get fixed either way).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
The thing with LoX, and I'm approaching this as someone who can't read Bosnian or w/e language it's in, is that all the Hanjia have this black outline around everything in them, so there's like... strange character-internal kerning because of this.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/ShinjuForest/media/Eiyuu%20Densetsu%20Intent/06_zps675899cb.gif.html

And then some of them just turn into blobs, like the one at the start of the middle line, and I'm sure this isn't an issue for native speakers, but I'm not so. (Also apparently this is Dragon Slayer, but the font is the same).

Anyway what I actually wanted to say about Ys story stuff is that:

- On the one hand, everything prior to Ys 6 was reasonably short so the roteness wouldn't be as problematic and I think ultimately worked well with the concision (and then Ys 2 Complete being... sort of verbose for its length was one of the things that <some verb for annoyance, idk fill in the blanks> me about that).

- I don't think the roteness was really as bad in like 3 or DoY on the grounds that 3 was the first one in the series that had ADOL GOES TO PLACE AND FINDS THINGS, and then DoY was made by Hudson so it's a little different anyway. It sounds like a 7 and Celceta, and I guess 8 now, stuck too closely to what 6 did, although I never played any of those because they're exclusives to systems that Sony hated.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:05:39 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 01:49:10 AM »
Vita version of Ys VIII comes out next week.  Here's a translated interview from Dengeki Playstation: SOUND OF A WALL SHATTERING

Some details:
- Gonna be a 40-60 hour RPG, the longest and "most substantial" game in the series
- Dogi isn't playable, but he's in charge of the village that you help build over the course of the game. 
- Boss Rush mode added in day 1 patch and pirate costumes available as launch DLC
- Dengeki PlayStation gave it 90/95/90/90 (four reviewers scoring out of 100)
- Famitsu gave it 9/8/8/9 (four reviewers scoring out of 10)

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
Vita version of Ys VIII comes out next week.  Here's a translated interview from Dengeki Playstation: SOUND OF A WALL SHATTERING

Some details:
- Gonna be a 40-60 hour RPG, the longest and "most substantial" game in the series
- Dogi isn't playable, but he's in charge of the village that you help build over the course of the game. 
- Boss Rush mode added in day 1 patch and pirate costumes available as launch DLC
- Dengeki PlayStation gave it 90/95/90/90 (four reviewers scoring out of 100)
- Famitsu gave it 9/8/8/9 (four reviewers scoring out of 10)

Speaking of Patch and Pirate Costumes: http://gematsu.com/2016/07/ys-viii-details-day-one-patch-dlc

Somehow I prefer these pirate costumes to the ones that Tales of Beseria are getting (even if they do make Dogi look like an old man).

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Somehow I prefer these pirate costumes to the ones that Tales of Beseria are getting (even if they do make Dogi look like an old man).
I don't see Dogi in that gallery. The big guy with green/blue hair is Shahad, who wields axes and anchors (I think?). Did I miss a page?

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »
I wonder if this series is getting away from itself. I mean, this game looks great--all Ys games are great--but I feel that they're trying to expand their scope to a detriment. To me Ys has always been about a tightly paced adventure with fast and frenetic combat in huge dungeons. I could leave all the crafting and fishing stuff that's crept in since Seven.

But that's my complaint. This still looks excellent and I'll be all over it when it gets announced for a western release, I'm sure.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
I don't see Dogi in that gallery. The big guy with green/blue hair is Shahad, who wields axes and anchors (I think?). Did I miss a page?

Nevermind. I completely forgot that guy even existed.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
Necroing because NISA decided to localize a bunch of their usual crap....and also http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-ps4-ps-vita-pc-coming-west-fall

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
NISA, not Xseed?  Guess that honeymoon is over...

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
I assume Xseed just has their hands full with translating Trails in the Sky part 3 and Cold Steel part 3.

TASTY!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
YES! That means it might actually get a release here!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
I assume Xseed just has their hands full with translating Trails in the Sky part 3 and Cold Steel part 3.

Nope.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832797511479734273

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
...well then...guess that's pretty fucked up?

TASTY!

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
Yeah, I visit NISA's pre-order page about once a month in the event that something interesting comes up and was surprised to see Ys 8 on there. I mean, I pre-ordered the limited edition, but it is weird to see it without the little XSeed logo.

Additionally, hopefully this will be one of the few games I bought from NISA that doesn't disappoint me. The Atelier games are okay, not really my cup of tea, but everything else I've played from them has been bleeehhhh.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:20:07 PM by Nel_Annette »