Author Topic: Ys VIII

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
i loved all the YS games! well the ones that i have played, which are the psp ones.  where can i find more details about this game? and what system(s) will it be coming out on?

PSVita, 201?. Other details include: Adol Shipwrecks, Cursed Island, Platforming, Dogi may or may not be involved.

Welcome to the 'up-to-date' club. Population: You and everyone who's read this thread.

Be sure to check back for more information. Thank you and have a nice day. :)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

SilverOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »
thanks for the info! my wife has a vita, so if i wanted to i can always borrow it from her :)

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-has-dual-protagonists

Mysterious Mystery Girl with heavily implied ties to the grand scheme of the plot and setting spotted.

What's actually surprising is that she's playable, and we may even see a M&L:Dream Team style game here (or at least an FFVIII style "Play this doofus + buds for awhile for glorified backstory/character development reasons").

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:38:49 PM »

Mysterious Mystery Girl with heavily implied ties to the grand scheme of the plot and setting spotted.

What's actually surprising is that she's playable, and we may even see a M&L:Dream Team style game here (or at least an FFVIII style "Play this doofus + buds for awhile for glorified backstory/character development reasons").

They can probably do switch-up without ruining it. From Origin to SEVEN to Celceta, Falcom has shown that they know how to juggle players in A-RPG setting in a way that makes sense. I've been thoroughly impressed.

And I am very interested in this "Dana" character. When you look over the archetypes of the Ys series ... namely, all the Feena/Reah stand-ins, things have only gotten progressively more interesting (with Ys SEVEN probably being *the* most interesting of all, just in terms of how they deviated from the trope).

There's still a part of me that wanted an Ys V remake before an Ys VIII. But ... as long as an Ys V remake comes *after* Ys VIII and makes use of whatever new goodies came with that engine, I'll be pleased.

Now we just need to play maaaajor catch-up in LoH / Kiseki land. Getting Trails of Cold Steel was awesome, but aren't there like 3 or 4 other Kiseki games that happened in the interim? :P

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 11:47:40 PM »

I'm very intrigued by this.  If they make Dana's segments different and fun it could be a positive influence.  Her blue hair and the series' preference for having a cast with differently-hued tresses make me sad for a probable lack of Dogi, though. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 01:47:27 AM »

They can probably do switch-up without ruining it. From Origin to SEVEN to Celceta, Falcom has shown that they know how to juggle players in A-RPG setting in a way that makes sense. I've been thoroughly impressed.

And I am very interested in this "Dana" character. When you look over the archetypes of the Ys series ... namely, all the Feena/Reah stand-ins, things have only gotten progressively more interesting (with Ys SEVEN probably being *the* most interesting of all, just in terms of how they deviated from the trope).

There's still a part of me that wanted an Ys V remake before an Ys VIII. But ... as long as an Ys V remake comes *after* Ys VIII and makes use of whatever new goodies came with that engine, I'll be pleased.

Now we just need to play maaaajor catch-up in LoH / Kiseki land. Getting Trails of Cold Steel was awesome, but aren't there like 3 or 4 other Kiseki games that happened in the interim? :P

The Kiseki series consists of Sky FC, SC, the 3rd; followed by Zero & Blue; and finally Cold Steel which consists of 1 & 2 (with murmurs of 3 being in the pipes). Nayuta is an entirely different thing that's basically Zewi 3 (or Trei !!! if the previous game was anything to go by, though the first one was called Zewi! so whatever) and has nothing to do with Joshua or Estelle or anyone associated with them. There are the Legend of Heroes games that preceded the Trails of games, but A) they also have nothing to do with the above, and B) are all playable in the west in some form or another (with great difficulty I might add, due to a cavalcade of reasons such as bad localizations, bad ports, age, rarity, etc). And then if you go even further back you hit the Dragon Slayer line which is its own ancient clusterfuck (Tokyo Xanadu is also part of the Xanadu line which also got its start in the Dragon Slayer line along with Legend of Heroes and Legacy of the Wizard).

That all said, right now, only Sky the 3rd, Zero, Blue and Cold Steel 2 are the only Kiseki games that haven't made it over yet (and CS2 is on the way).

For what we're missing, the 3rd only really ties FC and SC into the rest of the series while Zero and Blue have had a few major spoilers revealed by CSs 1 & 2.

Oh and there's apparently an MMO in all of that somewhere as well, but nobody knows anything about it other than its still in development. Also if we're counting spinoffs, then Kiseki vs Ys and Falcom Academy are also things, but are entirely irrelevant to anything currently going on.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:17 AM »
Stilll haven't played Memories of Celceta myself even though I kinda want to... this one looks pretty cool also.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 05:54:54 AM »
The Kiseki series consists of Sky FC, SC, the 3rd; followed by Zero & Blue; and finally Cold Steel which consists of 1 & 2 (with murmurs of 3 being in the pipes). Nayuta is an entirely different thing that's basically Zewi 3 (or Trei !!! if the previous game was anything to go by, though the first one was called Zewi! so whatever) and has nothing to do with Joshua or Estelle or anyone associated with them. There are the Legend of Heroes games that preceded the Trails of games, but A) they also have nothing to do with the above, and B) are all playable in the west in some form or another (with great difficulty I might add, due to a cavalcade of reasons such as bad localizations, bad ports, age, rarity, etc). And then if you go even further back you hit the Dragon Slayer line which is its own ancient clusterfuck (Tokyo Xanadu is also part of the Xanadu line which also got its start in the Dragon Slayer line along with Legend of Heroes and Legacy of the Wizard).

That all said, right now, only Sky the 3rd, Zero, Blue and Cold Steel 2 are the only Kiseki games that haven't made it over yet (and CS2 is on the way).

For what we're missing, the 3rd only really ties FC and SC into the rest of the series while Zero and Blue have had a few major spoilers revealed by CSs 1 & 2.

Oh and there's apparently an MMO in all of that somewhere as well, but nobody knows anything about it other than its still in development. Also if we're counting spinoffs, then Kiseki vs Ys and Falcom Academy are also things, but are entirely irrelevant to anything currently going on.

Believe me when I say I'm more than aware of the pre-Kiseki madness goes down. III-V Gagharv Trilogy, then I and II which are part of Dragon Slayer, and Dragon Slayer is a meta-franchise which covers pretty much everything Falcom made *other than* Ys and ... idk ... Star Trader, and some random crap.

Nayuta no Kiseki having no bearing on the plot doesn't make it a "not Kiseki" game. I'd argue the same about the Ys vs Sora no Kiseki crossover, too. I mean, "Tokyo Xanadu" is going to have shit-all to do with the Xanadu / Legend of Xanadu franchise, save for some gameplay and stylistic similarities. But from my perspective, I'd prefer to see XSEED localize over not localize, as much as is possible. Yeah, cut your losses, I guess I can live w/o Nayuta. But I think Ys vs SnK deserved to make it.

Beyond 3rd Zero and Blue, there are full HD remakes with additional content for these games, as well as for FC/SC ... yes? No? Falcom produced at a rate faster than XSEED could localize and publish. That's why we have Cold Steel and a confirmation of Cold Steel 2 when SnK 3rd is still floating in the aether (granted, I'm told it's not a great entry in the series).

TOPIC CHANGE!

I'm very intrigued by this.  If they make Dana's segments different and fun it could be a positive influence.  Her blue hair and the series' preference for having a cast with differently-hued tresses make me sad for a probable lack of Dogi, though. 

Did you play Ys SEVEN? Female protag also had blue hair. Somewhat darker than Dana's too, closer to Dogi's color. And Dogi was there. I would expect Dogi to be there, personally. :)

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 06:02:55 AM »
Beyond 3rd Zero and Blue, there are full HD remakes with additional content for these games, as well as for FC/SC ... yes? No? Falcom produced at a rate faster than XSEED could localize and publish. That's why we have Cold Steel and a confirmation of Cold Steel 2 when SnK 3rd is still floating in the aether (granted, I'm told it's not a great entry in the series).
There are enhanced ports of FC/SC, but those were not done by Falcom. I don't remember all the details regarding them, but the short version is that Falcom licensed the games out to another studio which ported them and added full voice overs to them. I don't think there was any content change in terms of story or sidequests. I know there were some tweaks to the battle system which made it very abusable. Specifically, I recall there was a turn effect (or w/e those are called) which allowed you to use crafts for free, so you break into those turns, and use an S-craft for free and then repeat whenever the effect was coming up.

I would not expect the enhanced ports to ever make it over since the voice acting budget would make it unprofitable for XSeed.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
I would like to take a moment to reiterate how swell it is whenever something like this actually comes out on Vita.  Though for every Lacrimosa of Dana, there seems to be 2 Banner Sagas that never make it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Been wanting to start my journey through this series, but also been wanting to make a YTLP series out of said journey so I've been waiting until I find a job and get some decent equipment.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
Been wanting to start my journey through this series, but also been wanting to make a YTLP series out of said journey so I've been waiting until I find a job and get some decent equipment.

So will you be going through them by release order, numerical order or by chronological order? Will you cover the non-canon games or the non-Falcom games? And then will you also be covering the not-Ys games that are the Blazer Quintrilogy (and then will you cover the entire Blazer Quintrilogy or the main 3, or will you spiral out even further still to cover Actraiser 2)? Will you even cover Ys Online? Nevermind, we all know the answer to that one.

Content Edit: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-details-dana-dual-protagonists

Some deets on Dana. What is it with Falcom's recent kick of giving Dancer characters huge ass swords and making them generally badass (afaik)?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:24:01 AM by Aeolus »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 03:18:04 AM »
Has anyone made a Vita is life joke yet?

Cause I just did.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 03:20:09 AM »
I'm sorry that was immature, I should be an upstanding adult and contribute properly.

Yes I guess I could say that the Ys series has some of the best OSTs of all time, most sites I suppose Yuzo Koshiro would be sort of obscure but I actually came across an interview somewhere with him from this very site, that was pretty cool. =-)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 03:24:34 AM »
Has anyone made a Vita is life joke yet?

Cause I just did.

Yes, they/we/everyone has. It's the most entertaining thing many people get out of the system (because they haven't bought the actual thing, the bastards). It usually comes in the form of a "Yep, the Vita is dead" news article. Last week's version is "Sony discontinues Vita TV in Japan".