Author Topic: Ys VIII

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 03:31:09 AM »
Has anyone made a Vita is life joke yet?

Cause I just did.

Yes, they/we/everyone has. It's the most entertaining thing many people get out of the system (because they haven't bought the actual thing, the bastards). It usually comes in the form of a "Yep, the Vita is dead" news article. Last week's version is "Sony discontinues Vita TV in Japan".

I think the virtual certainty something like that had happened was the actual joke.

But yes it's unfortunate, it seems like switching out the OLED screen in that newer version didn't help much...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 03:32:04 AM »
On the brightside, with Ys 8 people couldn't possibly resist!

Ok see like that was sarcasm, but like it wasn't... also.. there are more interesting games for the Vita than PS4 and XB1 but they're more hardcore games is probably the reason it's not really picked up all that much.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:34:22 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 10:53:31 AM »
Content Edit: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-details-dana-dual-protagonists

Some deets on Dana. What is it with Falcom's recent kick of giving Dancer characters huge ass swords and making them generally badass (afaik)?

Really?  With that outfit?  I like her hair and some of the ideas, I don't understand the underboob-belly-dancer vibe on the rest (and a way too recent trend right now).  

Has anyone made a Vita is life joke yet?

Cause I just did.

Yes, they/we/everyone has. It's the most entertaining thing many people get out of the system (because they haven't bought the actual thing, the bastards). It usually comes in the form of a "Yep, the Vita is dead" news article. Last week's version is "Sony discontinues Vita TV in Japan".

At least it's getting one heck[?] of a last push[!?] for whatever fate has in store with it.

I was going to make a quip about the 3DS, but it really looks like Nintendo is more the lifeblood behind that than any other developer.  Which is good....and bad.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:08:41 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Content Edit: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-details-dana-dual-protagonists

Some deets on Dana. What is it with Falcom's recent kick of giving Dancer characters huge ass swords and making them generally badass (afaik)?

Really?  With that outfit?  I like her hair and some of the ideas, I don't understand the underboob-belly-dancer vibe on the rest (and a way too recent trend right now).  

The outfit could be better (a lot better (or at least a lot more (I'd say its halfway to being good))), but then, Falcom doesn't exactly have a perfect batting average with regards to female character designs (see also: Brandish). Plus my comment was more in reference towards the other example (albeit, going any further into this would take this right into spoilers country).

Code: [Select]
Come talk to me once CS2 hits, or if you are up on what I'm talking about or CS1 dropped the act.
And even if this does turn out to be a Squall/Laguna thing (which, given Ys' track record, screams this), then that still doesn't make me wrong as Laguna was more badass than Squall was (even if Laguna was a colossal dork since Squall was too edgelord and way too powerfantasy to compare).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 10:09:55 PM »
I like how it looks, and the fact that it's hitting ps4 is a godsend because as much as I enjoy handhelds, they give me the worst case of fucking carpal tunnel syndrome if I play for more than an hour. Honestly, I'm getting closer to being fully done with handhelds in general. If I'm not home, I generally don't have time to be playing a video game anyway, and when I am home, I don't wanna be oddly hunched over trying to play a game on a screen that's smaller than my cellphone. I was buying this as soon as an english version dropped, regardless of vita or not. I mean hell, I bought my vite to play memories of celceta when it came out ( it was also a phenominal sale at 130 bucks for a 3g/wifi model), so I can suffer through another week of sore hands for it. But the ps4 version... just a big hooray for that.

Also, talking about Dana's design...why is it she's got such bulky boots and such a light, open outfit? I'll never understand that concept in armor design for women. Give them a metal, spikey bikini and a strange tiara with devil horns coming off it to embellish their naughty side, but give them the goddamn bulkiest set of mid thigh-high boots with so much fucking metal and leather even I'd have problems walking around in them to offset the upper armor? Call me strange, call me creepy, call me fashionable, idk, but I just never got why that was a thing...they're not even sexy boots half the time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:14:12 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 02:53:07 AM »

At least it's getting one heck[?] of a last push[!?] for whatever fate has in store with it.

I was going to make a quip about the 3DS, but it really looks like Nintendo is more the lifeblood behind that than any other developer.  Which is good....and bad.

Speaking of Nintendo, Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only universe in which people actually want a Vita.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 04:46:21 AM »
Also, talking about Dana's design...why is it she's got such bulky boots and such a light, open outfit? I'll never understand that concept in armor design for women. Give them a metal, spikey bikini and a strange tiara with devil horns coming off it to embellish their naughty side, but give them the goddamn bulkiest set of mid thigh-high boots with so much fucking metal and leather even I'd have problems walking around in them to offset the upper armor? Call me strange, call me creepy, call me fashionable, idk, but I just never got why that was a thing...they're not even sexy boots half the time.

Those aren't bulky boots, those are glorified sandals + legwraps with seashells bolted to them in some decorative shinguard style. The only thing of bulk on her is her hair and those crescent swords (and those side pauldrons on the hips, or whatever the hell they are). I suppose at the very least, she has leg protection covered which is about the only good thing you can say about that outfit.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:16 AM »

Those aren't bulky boots, those are glorified sandals + legwraps with seashells bolted to them in some decorative shinguard style. The only thing of bulk on her is her hair and those crescent swords (and those side pauldrons on the hips, or whatever the hell they are). I suppose at the very least, she has leg protection covered which is about the only good thing you can say about that outfit.
Perhaps bulky wasn't the right term, but my point is leg armor always seems to be more dominant than everything else. I mean... why not just through her in a pair of stilettos and call it a day?

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 07:02:07 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/ys-viii-ps-vita-launches-july-21-japan-playstation-4-2017

JP release date and new characters.

I could really do without the sideboob.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
What sideboob?  You need boob before you can have sideboob.  Ricotta is a 12-year-old girl who isn't wearing a shirt.

This is getting ridiculous, Japan.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
What sideboob?  You need boob before you can have sideboob.  Ricotta is a 12-year-old girl who isn't wearing a shirt.

Haha it'd be less comical if it literally wasn't often paired up with a guy that's usually head-to-toe in clothes.
It's so silly...
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 01:54:42 AM »

Haha it'd be less comical if it literally wasn't often paired up with a guy that's usually head-to-toe in clothes.
It's so silly...

What's silly is that the guy is rocking the JP equivalent of a fedora and frilly bell-bottoms ("What does the Scouter say Adol?" "His douchebag level IS OVER 8000!" "WHAT 8000!!!").

That said: http://gematsu.com/2016/03/ys-viii-details-hummel-ricotta

Better pics (including one that more clearly angles the line of the arm to the shoulder rather than the side-of-chest region).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
You're right: only a soul patch could make Hummus look douchier.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
The delay for the PS4 version seems a bit odd- not to much that it happened but that it's such a long period of time. 6+ months for a console version seems really strange to me.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/ys-viii-introduces-dogi-barbaros-little-paro

At last! The breaker of walls has come to town Gilligan's Island. Also the Captain from (one of the) Ys V.