Author Topic: Ys VIII

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »
There's like a one-sentence reference to Ys VI in both Origin and Oath, but they're both at the very end of those games and I think that's about it.

Also I think the villain group in Origin is referenced in Celceta (I haven't played it) and sort of referenced in VI.

But yeah, after II works best. Most of the references in Origin would be to the first two games.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
Thanks @Tomara and @Nel_Annette that was kinda what I was hoping to hear!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Right after Ys II would best, I think. That makes it most likely you'll catch all the references.

As for gameplay, unless you plan on digging up all sorts of very old Ys-games, you'll jump right from 'we don't have enough buttons to let Adol attack like a normal person' to 'very smooth and fast-paced action RPG'. But Ys Origin is a bit of a outlier to begin with. Instead of an island to explore, you get this almost metroidvania-like dungeon. Which is awesome, if you ask me, but... it's not the typical Ys adventure.

I wouldn't call Ys Origin a Metroidvania so much as a Metroid II style game, as while each section of the tower is treated as its own mini-dungeon, you're also nearly constantly moving from one section to the next with little reason to revisit older sections once completed.

That being said, if you're planning on playing Ys Origin on the PC/Steam, for the love of god, get yourself a controller. Trying to fumble around with that one boss on a keyboard, even on Normal, is going to be a nightmare.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
That being said, if you're planning on playing Ys Origin on the PC/Steam, for the love of god, get yourself a controller. Trying to fumble around with that one boss on a keyboard, even on Normal, is going to be a nightmare.

My god this. M&K is a blight upon gaming to begin with, but I have no idea how they expected anyone to accomplish anything without a controller. 

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »

My god this. M&K is a blight upon gaming to begin with, but I have no idea how they expected anyone to accomplish anything without a controller.
^ funny  a lot of the master race feels the same about controllers, and go ape-shit when a pc game/ port  does not have proper mouse and keyboard support.  I abhor playing anything besides MMOs and CRPGS with a M&K setup.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »

^ funny  a lot of the master race feels the same about controllers, and go ape-shit when a pc game/ port  does not have proper mouse and keyboard support.  I abhor playing anything besides MMOs and CRPGS with a M&K setup.

It really depends on the game. Some do better with a dozen or more macros available to use (like RTSes), while others really need you pressing 4 or 5 keys down at once to keep up with the action (and most computers don't like that many keys pressed at once).

Ys Origin is distinctly within the latter's camp where you often need to input directions beyond ←↑→↓ while charging attacks and jumping over obstacles, especially during boss fights.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Yeah there is no way in hell I would ever play a FPS, MMO, strategy game, or a game like Diablo without a M&K.  Controllers have their uses but not in those types of games.  Controllers are terrible for a a lot of games but unfortunately it's all people know.  Once you learn to play with M&K you never go back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:56:26 PM by ScottC »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
I've been using m/k for strategy games for 20 years and if there was a viable option to use a controller for something like europa barbarorum 2 I would snap people's hands off for it.

I liked torchlight 2 infinitely better with a controller than I did fumbling with a M&K. Same with Diablo.  The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing half the time.  You're not constantly fighting the damned thing with a controller.

It's the difference between using a tool that was designed specifically for something vs using a device retrofitted to make due.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:21:05 PM by Rucks »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
Don't hate on M&K just because you have apparent coordination issues, Rucks.

;P

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing half the time.  You're not constantly fighting the damned thing with a controller.

It's the difference between using a tool that was designed specifically for something vs using a device retrofitted to make due.

That's on you, not the instrument.

Like I said:
Once you learn to play with M&K you never go back.

Mice are more precise instruments then analog sticks or a dpad.

Anyway back to YS VIII.  I am going to wait it out for the PC port instead of caving for the PS4 version.  I almost caved yesterday when I realize I have like 5 games for my PS4 and wanted some reason to use it again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:20:45 PM by ScottC »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
I like both options, but I always use a controller for PC Ports of console games. Just makes sense.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
How is a keyboard not being originally intended to play games on me? 

Outside of a laser replacing the tracball, you're using basically the same interface that people used on DARPA networks in the 70's.  Nope, not even the slightest bit unwieldy 45 years later...

Everything that Aeolus said is 10 times more true for Ys games.  They are a nightmare with "wasd".

You keep driving that backfitted riding lawn mower and I'll stick to my sports car.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:34:25 PM by Rucks »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
I generally prefer controllers. M&K is good for some genres, but I like gaming while hiding in a cocoon of blankets. Because I get cold. And blankets are nice and warm. I also like how controllers, or the good ones anyway, fit into my hands and allow you to play anywhere. You need a proper desk and chair for a M&K set-up to be comfortable.

PC fanatics can criticise me all they want. The impact of their insults are just absorbed my the soft, fluffy walls of my blanket fortress strategically build in the corner of my comfortable couch (and sometimes my beanbag chair).

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
.....Ys VIII is a really good game, everyone!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
.....Ys VIII is a really good game, everyone!
Shush, can't you see that they are hashing out for all time the debate between M&K and controller? This has never happened before, and this argument will become so definitive that it will never happen again. It will forever be cited as gospel ensuring that peace and harmony exist in gaming communities for all time! What is a single game before an argument of such importance? :p

In terms of progress, I am now around 50% through the game, at least according to map completion. Game has been fun so far. Gameplay is reminding me a lot of Memories of Celceta.