Author Topic: Ys VIII

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
Okay, I passed chapter 3, and finally found a part of the main plot I didn't like: you're heading through the giant mountain, and then the game makes you backtrack to go to a different dungeon, followed by a mandatory suppression mission followed by an interception mission. Kind of killed the pacing a bit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:37:41 PM by Nel_Annette »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
.....Ys VIII is a really good game, everyone!
Shush, can't you see that they are hashing out for all time the debate between M&K and controller? This has never happened before, and this argument will become so definitive that it will never happen again. It will forever be cited as gospel ensuring that peace and harmony exist in gaming communities for all time! What is a single game before an argument of such importance? :p

Please, everybody knows the best input device is the SpaceOrb 360.

(Only half-joking...I actually used to have one of those and I though--and still think--that the tech is pretty cool.  It lacked polish, though, and never actually caught on...)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
Mouse & Keyboard is actually better for certain gaming genres, though.  You can't use the "retrofitted" for purpose argument when a game's UI is designed entirely around M&K.  I shudder to think of playing something like FTL with a controller.  Not that it couldn't work, but it would take an entire UI overhaul.

That sad, controller is way better for most games.  It's just a few specific ones that M&K are needed for.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
I've played first person shooters on both PC and console.  Frankly, for that genre of game, mouse and keyboard is far superior.  It doesn't change the fact that I still find using a controller more comfortable.  Additionally, the thought of trying to play an Ys game with the mouse and keyboard interface makes me cringe.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
O.O I think I just realized where this plot is going. If I am right, then oh god. I'm currently in chapter 5 and just got the second checkpoint trophy. I want to put what I am expecting in a spoiler block, but I really feel like I have figured out a late game plot twist and don't want to accidently spoil someone if I am right. >.>

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
If you put it in a spoiler block and someone who hasn't played Ys VIII chooses to read it, it's on them.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
If you put it in a spoiler block and someone who hasn't played Ys VIII chooses to read it, it's on them.
This should be made into a song for all people to experience.

TASTY!

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
I am still plugging away at this game.  The combat itself is a blast.  I've played one interception mission and to be honest, I'm not sure if it will be a source of fun or frustration.

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
Beat Ys 8 about a week ago. It kind of crapped the bed towards the end.

Gameplay wise, the closer you get to the end of the final dungeon, the more side-stuff it starts throwing at you. Suppressions, interceptions, villager sidequests, and one final, extra flashback for Dana. I can *see* the boss of the area in the distance and that stupid parrot keeps calling me back to the village. Not to mention two or three key items were in the final dungeon. I did all the villager sidequests and still didn't have maximum affinity with everyone in the village, so I'm guessing there's a few gift items locked behind the last few suppressions and interceptions, which I didn't have the patience to complete.

Story-wise, hoo boy...
Spoiler: show
This plot was great and intriguing until it started doing that Tales of thing where we basically have to kill a god and save the world. I was fine with it being an island escape story. I thought the big threat in the past was also going to be Okeanos, to link the creature as the big bad of both plots. But you finally kill him and the plot derails into this Evolution/Genocide Tree thing that just absolutely loses me. (The cast even looks like a Tales Of party once you have all six of them together). This series already had a great mythos with the Eldeen and now we're just piling all these previous civilizations and gods on top of it? Was Maia and the other two gods mentioned previously? I forget. Did the Eldeen come after Dana's people had died out? That was a bit confusing to me. I thought it would have been cool if Ura/Sarai had turned out to be an Eldeen and that it was going to be revealed that they were the last victims of the Lacrimosa, but she just seems to be from a race of shapeshifter aliens.

I was expecting a bigger reveal for that red-haired chick from Dana's past sections, considering she appears on the Japanese box art with the party. I was expecting her to be the big bad, honestly.

Still an enjoyable game, I just really didn't like the last few hours. There was a post-game dungeon, but the reward at the end of it just seemed like something that should have been a standard new game + option, rather than something you had to go through the hardest dungeon in the game for.

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
Looks like NISA is going to be releasing a translation patch for the game at the end of November for PS4 Vita and the PC version will ship with it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
^Glad I wated, then.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
^Glad I wated, then.

Most people I've talked to haven't had any complaints about the translation and are frankly confused by this.
I think it's another case similar to Persona 5.

No idea WTF is going on this year with all the translation quality whining.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »
^Glad I wated, then.

Most people I've talked to haven't had any complaints about the translation and are frankly confused by this.

No, it is pretty bad. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »
I thought this was because they kept saying "Ancient Species" when they could have just said dinosaur. XD Some sentences were really awkward because of that, but overall I didn't really have a problem with the localization, though it didn't have the kick to it that XSeed usually gives it.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »
^Glad I wated, then.

No, it is pretty bad. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

I got a kick out of Archezoic Big Hole.

That said, I'm not terribly surprised at this and I'll be further unsurprised if the new localization somehow manages to be even worse than the old one.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.