Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »
Figure this is the right thread for it. Rogue One. I saw it.

I thought it was pretty good, albeit totally unnecessary, but I'm guessing that's what everyone's been saying since it was announced.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
I loved it. Great cast and a terrific conclusion. Excellent nods to a new hope including a special drink!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »
Rogue One was definitely fun.  But yes, the nagging sense of pointlessness lingers.  if you were to watch it in tandem with Episode IV in, like, a marathon, though, it might help that feeling.

The friend I saw it with, who remembers Episode IV coming out (he's a bit older than me), said it was his favorite Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.  Gushed about it the entire evening.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
Second best Star Wars film after Empire, for me.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
The last hour of that movie is incredible. It achieves a level of suspense on par with the Batlle of Yavin and the asteroid sequnce. I also love how faithful the shipr designs are. Yeah we know what a Star Destroyer looks like but to see them again with modern flming techniques is amazing. In the first shot of the movie they show one moving out of a shadow. First you only see the lights from the ships portholes or whatver then it moves into sunlight and its bine-white and awesome.

And I cant say enough about the ending. I think the terror in the hallway shows for the first time real fear and desperation and that played nicely with what was going on the beach. Fantastic conclusion.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »
I really enjoyed it, but didn't real grow to like any of the main characters, which was unfortunate.

Agreed with Yoda on the ending though. Fantastic! Highlight of the film.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Yeah, the ending is what everyone will remember this movie for.  Truly spectacular.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
I saw Rogue One today, and actually liked it more than The Force Awakens due to the fact that it tells an actual original story (TFA to me somewhat felt like a glorified retelling of A New Hope or Return of the Jedi, the main villains were knockoffs of the Emperor and Vader, and Starkiller Base was basically the Death Star on crack). I could also barely tell at the end
Spoiler: show
that wasn't Carrie Fisher playing Princess Leia.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
I saw Rogue One today, and actually liked it more than The Force Awakens due to the fact that it tells an actual original story (TFA to me somewhat felt like a glorified retelling of A New Hope or Return of the Jedi, the main villains were knockoffs of the Emperor and Vader, and Starkiller Base was basically the Death Star on crack). I could also barely tell at the end
that wasn't Carrie Fisher playing Princess Leia.

Yea TFA was pretty much The New Hope part deux. Its a shame because it was fantastic when they tried to be different. I liked Kylo and that clumsy lightsaber battle was incredible. However every Han scene was terrible, Ford didn't want to be in the movie and it showed and he was in the movie wayyyy too long. Also the whole another death star, really? It just felt tacked on at the end.

So anyway saw Rogue one today. It was good, I liked it more than the prequels/Episode 7. The action/battles were well done. I also liked the characters and K2SO is my favorite droid. The dialouge and especially the speeches were lousy (though SW is kind of known for that) and outside of K2SO no one really had any good lines. However its a very solid movie and thankfully something original.

Squarenix also should really get back in the hollywood business, and become something like a CGI Industrial LIght and magic. Because especially with the faces/CGI characters they do a better job than anyone in Hollywood does.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:37:16 PM by Rook »

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »
I personally think Naughty Dog would be a better bet instead of Square in that regard.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Gotta agree on the consensus that Rogue Dirty Squad was better than Episode IV Remake VII. Best parts were
Vader owning a bitch, both inside and outside of his ridiculous Fortress of Doom, and that fat punk Red Five getting the fragging he totally had coming.

My only real complaint was that some shots really looked like they came from a videogame, especially the scene where The Rebels show up over the shield wall.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2016, 03:54:48 AM »
For me the best part was the end of the plot (not the fan servicey stuff at the end). I actually got kinda choked up. I also like that there was no overt romance between any of the main characters.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
I just saw Rogue One with my mom and we both loved it.  It seemed to hit us both in the heart, because it was a grittier, more "down to earth" Star Wars flick.  It wasn't about superpowered heroes doing superpowered things.  It was about "ordinary" people facing desperation and hard times where the establishment's idea of peace won't leave me be in peace.  The side characters and "no names" got their due here, and they're no less important to the mythos and overall worldbuilding than Yoda or Vader.  I liked that.  I'm ready to call this my favorite ensemble cast since the Lord of the Rings movies.  It wasn't necessarily about one person- it was about the whole entity of this ragtag group who eventually become known as "Rogue 1."  Everyone played their roles perfectly and it all tied together.  I found
Bodhi more believable as a defector than I did Finn in Force Awakens.

I also liked the transition to how
Jedis and Force-sensitives went from being respected to being ridiculed.  A lot of time has passed since Episode III, where the Sith fell the jedi from grace.  Blind dude was Force sensitive and could barely eke out an existence as a street fortune teller.  And even his burly bodyguard buddy scoffed at the thought of jedis and how only whackadoos like "this dreamer" still believe that nonsense.  That was a poignant line for me, because it showed that the people were living in a tyrannical era where hopes and dreams have been browbeaten to worthlessness.
  Oh, and the way they showed the Rebel Alliance and its members as morally ambiguous was fantastic too.

Rogue One is not as immediately satisfying as Force Awakens or mainline Star Wars films were, since this is kind of a gaiden, but I can see it being looked at as one of the best once it grows on you.  I heartily welcome more films like Rogue One into the Star Wars mythos.

EDIT: As for Donald Glover being young Lando in that future movie, I'm cool with that.  I feel like it will be like Daniel Craig's James Bond- still a little unrefined and his instincts not quite as honed as Sean Connery, but he's learning so you know with time he'll get there.  In much the same way, Glover will certainly not have the swagger that Billy Dee Williams has, but remember- young Lando is still learning the art of swagger. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:00:24 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
I just saw Rogue One ... I'm ready to call this my favorite ensemble cast since the Lord of the Rings movies.

Wow.  You are WAY out of step with popular opinion here and I love it.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
Sidebar discussion:

When seeing Rogue One, what previews did you get? 

I got the new Guardians of the Galaxy, which looked like a whole mess of fun.  I loved the first GotG movie and this one looks even more madcap.  The scene with the mindreader alien sold it for me. 

The new Planet of the Apes look alright.  Rise was incredible and I heard Dawn was just as good.  Can they keep up that momentum? 

The other previews looked silly and/or unmemorable.  The new Spiderman did not impress me at all.  There was some crappy CG cartoon about a corporate baby.  I kinda remember a King Arthur one. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:07:01 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty