Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Yes, Guardians 2 was a fun trailer.

Before it, they played a trailer for that cheesy-looking The Space Between Us Film. At the end, my friend was like "I feel like I've seen the whole movie."

Then they played the Guardians trailer and, at the end, I said "And I have NO IDEA what that movie is about but I love it."
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »
Due to slow moving family members who shall remain nameless, I was barely able to see any previews (and some of those were repeats; looking at you No Country for X-Men LOGAN), the ones I did catch were part of Galaxy 2 and some movie that had knights and dragons and looked vaguely Dragon Age-ish (oh wait, that was ARTHUR). Sadly, I want to add that Cowboys in Wuxia China but then I recalled that I saw that in front of Dr. Strange.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »
Also saw Rogue One, also thought it was better than TFA.

I mean really it was ike Vader and the Empire and like actually Star Wars again, basically.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
Spoiler: show
man if i saw rogue one after today i probably would have cried hard at the end

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
^ yep
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
It's been a while since a film gave me goosebumps, but yeah, considering what happened a few weeks ago, the end of this one certainly had my hair standing on end.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
Also saw Rogue One, also thought it was better than TFA.

I mean really it was ike Vader and the Empire and like actually Star Wars again, basically.

I always wondered why the Empire became Hydra in TFA.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2017, 12:41:27 PM »
Well don't forget, decades (perhaps even an entire generation) has passed between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens and a lot can happen in that time span.  Sure, the Rebellion was victorious in Jedi, but a decade or two is more than enough time for the Empire to rise to power again.  And perhaps the whole "bigger and better Death Star" could be the Empire becoming victims of their own hubris, which we've seen in a lot of megalomaniacal villains and organizations in comic book style fiction.

I kinda like how folks are trying to compare/contrast Hydra, Empire, and SPECTRE here.  Some of it is stupid, but some of it isn't.  https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-most-devious-fictional-evil-organization-HYDRA-Marvel-The-Empire-Star-Wars-or-SPECTRE-007
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
There was actually a 15-second missing scene from TFA that said plenty to allow world building-minded folk to imagine why the First Order is treated the way it is. Features Carrie Fisher too, which is a nice plus since The Last Jedi will be the last time we'll get to see her.

Many people argue the scene would've broken pacing and its inclusion would only satisfy lore nerds, but personally I think it was a mistake to cut it.

On that topic though, it was definitely the right choice to cut an awful Cantina referencing scene.

The most baffling choice to me is still how Chewbacca and Leia have 0 interaction at the end of the film after what happened though.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
Teaser Trailer for The Last Jedi just dropped.

I await netizens analyzing every last pixel of it to figure out the entirety of the film 8 months before its release.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2017, 04:11:21 PM »
Looks awesome, @Hathen
Very intrigued by that last line.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
My thought on that last line is simply that
the concept of "Jedi" as we know it is outmoded in this everchanging world and needs to pass the mantle unto a new order.  A new order based on current pragmatism over stodgy traditionalism.  There will always be force-sensitives, but should they alone be admitted into the clubhouse?  What about those like Finn, who's a Stormtrooper who defied the whole "hive mind brainwashing" and became awake/self aware?  Maybe he's not a "midichlorian jedi" but that sheer strength of will to defect from the stormtroopers is astounding.  He did what no other stormtrooper could. 

Luke may be the last jedi, but Rey (and possibly Finn) are the start of something new and truly revolutionary. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:21:53 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
My thought on that last line is simply that
the concept of "Jedi" as we know it is outmoded in this everchanging world and needs to pass the mantle unto a new order.  A new order based on current pragmatism over stodgy traditionalism.  There will always be force-sensitives, but should they alone be admitted into the clubhouse?  What about those like Finn, who's a Stormtrooper who defied the whole "hive mind brainwashing" and became awake/self aware?  Maybe he's not a "midichlorian jedi" but that sheer strength of will is astounding.  He did what no other stormtrooper could. 

Luke may be the last jedi, but Rey (and possibly Finn) are the start of something new and truly revolutionary. 

That or,
there can't even be one, and to restore the balance, the only way is not to play.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »
And at the end of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, weren't some of Yoda's last words to Luke something along the lines of
When I'm gone, the last of the jedi you will be.

I also recall that in some Star Wars novels, Luke
created his own Jedi order in his rules/vision.
But with the new movies, those novels and such are no longer canon.  I mean,
some novel or comic had Chewbacca die, whereas in Force Awakens, Han is killed.
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »
Yeah what I know of the (former) expanded universe

has Luke diving into the whole Grey Jedi thing, so it looks like they'll be aping that idea, but doing it in a different way. Seems like he thinks creating more Jedi almost inevitably leads to Sith to balance them out, so I guess he's on that island just waiting to die? Still seems like a bad idea when Kylo Ren is running around terrorizing everyone though.

I'm fine with it, Grey Jedi stories were usually the best ones of the expanded universe...I believe KOTOR count as one!