Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 01:16:49 AM »
How was Natalie Portman a good thing that happened to star wars? Yes she's gorgeous and actually is a good actress but she was fucking terrible in the prequels. Just awful.

I saw TFA again, took my mom. She loved it.

It's weird, but my brother and I (neither born when Return of the Jedi was out) were more into Star Wars than our parents. :P
C'est la vie.

TBF, the direction and script for Eps I-III were probably way more at fault than its actors.  They were so hammy and going for that shitty Star Wars-ian "shakespeare".  Ewan Mcgregor and Natalie Portman are top shelf actors but they could barely do much with that script.

Anyways, finally watched it, avoided this topic and any Star Wars anything to avoid spoilers and did a run through Eps IV-VI before going in (couldn't squeeze I-III in).
I don't hold the series up on a pedestal (I like it a whole lot and I'd never deny the impact it's had on fans or as a classic piece of film); I've always thought the series was super enjoyable.  And that's precisely what Ep7 was: Good damn entertainment.
It could have used more exposition, but for the most part, no part dragged on, nothing felt out of place, and it feels like like what Star Wars has always been but the film tech of the 1970s couldn't really make happen so easily.  It was totally enjoyable from start to finish and I can't wait for more.  Where it felt like the Eps I-III tried too hard, I'd say they hit their stride just right now. 

Code: [Select]
I'd love to see Kylo Ren become a sort of "frenemy" by the end; if there was any trope I liked it's that he will turn things around and join THE LIGHT...  Good god, it's makes so much sense that Mark Hamill did a voice in Kingdom Hearts, I feel like the basic plot mythos is the same....
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »
@Yoda
Outside of Ewan Mcgregor's ability to be enjoyable, no one else acted well either...I include Jackson in that cuz unless he's cursing and being fucking awesome he's boring. At least Natalie Portman was quite lovely to look at. She was just saturated by the horror that was Anakin. It made her terrible by comparison.

TASTY!

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
My thoughts on the film without any spoilers was that it was an excellent film. The film met and exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to see more. All I kept thinking while watching the film was thank god there were so no signs or mention of Jar Jar Binks. And, BB8 was cute, I need a plushy of that little guy, haha. Double points if he's as cute as this Ewok http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Disney-Plush--Star-Wars--Wicket-Ewok-Plush--8-12--Endor-able_p_4097.html

@Yoda, funny I also went to see TFA with my mother since friends and other family members were too busy to go see it. She loved it and it was awesome to see her face light up at some of the old hallmark parts of the saga films like the opening yellow scrolling text and hearing the Princess Leia medley music in the background.

@Dice, fortunately for you and a legion of Star Wars fans there will be several anthology films coming out in the next few years http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Upcoming-Star-Wars-Movies-List-Titles-Release-Dates-100467.html. The one that's confirmed and is currently being filmed (forgive me if it's already been mentioned in this thread) that is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Not much is known besides who's been cast and that it's in general thought of as a prequel to Star Wars Ep. IV. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/?ref_=nv_sr_1. So unless there are any release date setbacks, we'll get to enjoy another Star Wars film next Christmas season before watching Ep. 8.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:39:34 PM by OrsonFury »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »
I'd like to point out that I don't entirely know what any of the new characters are actually named because the theater I was at had wonky speakers. It's like

<Ace Pilot> Hi, Stormtrooper guy! My name's <incoherent blown speaker bass noise>. I think I'll call you <muffled droning sound>.

The previews were a goddamn nightmare (I think I already mentioned that though) with the volume levels oh god.

@Dice:

I felt like they were setting up for Kylo Ren turning good and redeeming himself! Also seemed to imply he wasn't entirely in control of his own actions.
-- ed --

Oh legit question, did anyone see it in 3D? I saw that that was offered but like

I can't think of a single scene in the movie where anything 3D would've even been happening. I mean it kind of had a lot of slow, distance shots those are the exact opposite of things being 3D.

What's the point of 3D in any movie, though? Why is that still a thing?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 12:56:05 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
I'd like to point out that I don't entirely know what any of the new characters are actually named because the theater I was at had wonky speakers. It's like

<Ace Pilot> Hi, Stormtrooper guy! My name's <incoherent blown speaker bass noise>. I think I'll call you <muffled droning sound>.

The previews were a goddamn nightmare (I think I already mentioned that though) with the volume levels oh god.

@Dice:

I felt like they were setting up for Kylo Ren turning good and redeeming himself! Also seemed to imply he wasn't entirely in control of his own actions.
-- ed --

Oh legit question, did anyone see it in 3D? I saw that that was offered but like

I can't think of a single scene in the movie where anything 3D would've even been happening. I mean it kind of had a lot of slow, distance shots those are the exact opposite of things being 3D.

What's the point of 3D in any movie, though? Why is that still a thing?

Because movie execs and a handful of directors still believe in a future where Holo Jaws will emerge from the display and chomp you good.

That said, I for one liked the movie generally speaking, up to and including the final battle
namely because said battle didn't take up 20 minutes of movie time for a no risk spectacle that ended on the incredibly obvious conclusion.
And with that said, I did have three issues with the movie.
One was how Han Solo's entire performance felt like he just came out of the galactic retirement home for one last ride at the rodeo. Sure he had some great lines, and his Obi Wan/Queegon Jin moment was solid (even if he really should've shot first), but overall it felt like watching him in Crystal Skull all over again. Two was Reigh's rate of adoption of the Force. Even Episode One had Annie only pull off ace level star fighting by the end while Reigh was pulling that by the end of the first third of the movie and was pulling all sorts of shenanigans by the end. I wont say that winning against Kylo Ren was that difficult due to a combination of being wounded and him being a massive poser to begin with, but even before all of that, she was Force Mind Probing him within a minute of being exposed to the technique and having Future Visions even without doing one armed handstands. I hate to suspect this, but there's always the possibility that yeah, she's gonna get an explanation for all of this and its going to turn into a Red Matter issue all over again. And finally, where's the epic space battle? You've got three guys in X-Wings and hardly any runs on Death Stars or Star Destroyers. Mr. Best Pilot is all you really ever see of them beyond the occasional check in with each other as they blow up whatever they were called in to blow up.
Also, is it me or was the Red Arm a reference to MGSV/Peace Walker?
No, because that's most likely a reference to Abrams' Bad Robot studio; it just looked incredibly similar to Big Boss's lighter arm.
Also also, I both love/hate that Finn is a character now
because he's all of those Stormtrooper parody characters rolled into one, and its just as ridiculous as it sounds. He's basically Roger Wilco, right down to being a Space Janitor that ends up bumbling into the hero role and even flies around in an Aluminum Mallard-alike, or in this case, quite literally the very vehicle the Aluminum Mallard was itself an alike of.
And in retrospect, thank god I didn't post that fake spoiler that I was so very tempted to post at the top of this thread. I would've paid hell for it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
@Aeolus:

There's apparently some TFA artbook or something and it says something like

Finn was just doing sanitation on the Planetfucker, but was otherwise a badass squad leader thing.
also are the newtypes in gundam supposed to be Jedis? i wasn't thinking about this but then I thought about it cause amuro rei, rey, *hand gestures*, dig?
o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
@Yoda
Outside of Ewan Mcgregor's ability to be enjoyable, no one else acted well either...I include Jackson in that cuz unless he's cursing and being fucking awesome he's boring. At least Natalie Portman was quite lovely to look at. She was just saturated by the horror that was Anakin. It made her terrible by comparison.

I love you man but the fact that Nat P is lovely doesn't help at all, she looks constipated at times.

If you all want a good star wars youtube channel check out hellogreedo.

His poking fun at the prequels is quite tasty.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2015, 03:52:57 AM »
@Aeolus:

There's apparently some TFA artbook or something and it says something like

Finn was just doing sanitation on the Planetfucker, but was otherwise a badass squad leader thing.
also are the newtypes in gundam supposed to be Jedis? i wasn't thinking about this but then I thought about it cause amuro rei, rey, *hand gestures*, dig?

^lol @ badass squad leader who cracked on his first field assignment.

And technically yes. Gundam NewTypes are, for all intents and purposes, running Force-alike powers/abilities (though at least there was enough thought involved to distinguish between the two powers in function, traits and side-effects that they aren't totally identical).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
@Yoda

I love you man but the fact that Nat P is lovely doesn't help at all, she looks constipated at times.

If you all want a good star wars youtube channel check out hellogreedo.

His poking fun at the prequels is quite tasty.
...only in episode 1...mostly..

TASTY!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
Took my family to see it on Christmas and had a blast.  I think the most important thing the movie did was make me excited to see the next one which the prequels never did.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
And in retrospect, thank god I didn't post that fake spoiler that I was so very tempted to post at the top of this thread. I would've paid hell for it.

You can post it now, though.  (I totally knew it was fake without even knowing what it was #bragging)

Took my family to see it on Christmas and had a blast.  I think the most important thing the movie did was make me excited to see the next one which the prequels never did.

An important and under-appreciated strength of this film.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 09:58:58 PM »
I just saw this with my mom, in 3D, in a theater with awesome recliner seats.  My mom's the one who got me into Star Wars in the first place when I was a little kid.  We both loved it and definitely want to see it again. 

What I thought was cool was the sheer number of cool/badass women, often in positions of power. 
Leia's still leader of the resistance, Captain Phasma is the leader of the stormtroopers, Rey obviously, and that Asian female pilot on Poe Dameron's strike team...
I also liked some of the new additions to the soundtrack.  Like the music that plays when we first meet Rey scavenging for parts and then sliding down the dune- I did not recognize that piece of music from other Star Wars films, but it was good. 

The only thing I had an issue with was that some of the characters' names were said too quickly/incoherently and there wasn't enough exposition for some of them.  Like
the old guy played by Max Von Sydow who gives Poe the map.  Who was he, and how did a nobody like him come into possession of the map? 
The movie set itself up very well for sequels, my mom and I have a million questions, and we both want to see it again. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »
Really enjoyed it. I don't have any real complaints, but I do have a question...

How did Rey know how to do the mind control of that Stormtrooper while she was locked up? I mean, did I miss a moment where someone told her that was possible? Or does she just magically know it's possible because the Force?

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
Hi can I just say

what the hell is with that mullet in 2002

why does this look like something you'd see in gatlinburg
o/` I do not dream o/`

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2015, 03:52:44 AM »
Really enjoyed it. I don't have any real complaints, but I do have a question...

It's the latter, hence my complaints about her being a major-time Mary Sue.
They're setting her up to be some sort of Force-Savant (like no one ever was~).
I also suspect it was the writer's lazy card for trying to preserve their 'tough female protag' concept.
Rey in trouble? Can't let any males help her? Suddenly, new Force Power Get~! Problem solved.

XP