Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

Lard

• View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
I saw Star Wars tonight. I will be deliberately vague.

I liked:

The story and characters overall.

The main villain

The humour

The cameos

The way they set up the next two films

I didn't like:

Code: [Select]
One character's non existent personality (I had the feeling they were going to be the Han Solo of the new trilogy and I was wrong. They ended up being incredibly paper thin and bland)

The continual nods to the old films as in copy/pasting elements

One character's death but I get why they did it.

One character's reveal 

Indifferent to:

The soundtrack - nothing really stood out as being new or memorable.

Overall, pretty good.

I'm not a fan of Abrams films so I went in with muted expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:24:53 AM by Lard »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Did Williams do the whole score?

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
Yeah, as far as I know.

There was a thing on 60 minutes about the movie last week and it showed Williams doing the score.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
I saw Star Wars tonight. I will be deliberately vague.

I liked:

The story and characters overall.

The main villain

The humour

The cameos

The way they set up the next two films

I didn't like:

One character's non existent personality (I had the feeling they were going to be the Han Solo of the new trilogy and I was wrong. They ended up being incredibly paper thin and bland)

The continual nods to the old films as in copy/pasting elements

One character's death but I get why they did it.

One character's reveal 

Indifferent to:

The soundtrack - nothing really stood out as being new or memorable.

Overall, pretty good.

I'm not a fan of Abrams films so I went in with muted expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.

DAMNIT, HE WAS RIGHT, THAT FUCKING TWAT!!!!

TASTY!

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
I ran into a Star Wars spoiler on the internet earlier, but it didn't bother me much.

...well, I guess the bad photoshopping bothered me a little.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »
Some asshole has been running around on youtube videos spoiling a huge part of the movie...not gonna share since I don't suck but it was depressing as fuck. I hope he's wrong.

Sorry you got spoiled man.

I hid anything remotely spoilery to avoid trying to upset people.

I've been staying away from Star Wars stuff, including trailers, for the last couple of months.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:24 AM »
Some asshole has been running around on youtube videos spoiling a huge part of the movie...not gonna share since I don't suck but it was depressing as fuck. I hope he's wrong.

Sorry you got spoiled man.

I hid anything remotely spoilery to avoid trying to upset people.

I've been staying away from Star Wars stuff, including trailers, for the last couple of months.
Dude I caught it watching a youtube clip of Jimmy Kimmel's celebrity mean tweets. Was hilarious...then I saw that in the first 3 comments...so mad.

TASTY!

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »
I loved it. It feels like a real damn star wars movie. And unlike most star wars movies there's excellent pacing. The new characters have a energy and charisma that fits the crazy shit happening and their performances are probably better than the original cast in most cases. I got emotional during the movie, I never got that way with the prequels.

It's a shame because this movie feels worth the wait, but now Disney is getting ready to jam it down our throats into perpetuity.

One thing... the storm troopers feel like badasses in this movie. In the original trilogy besides taking Leia's ship in the opening scene they seemed like total losers. In Awakens they're a threat

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
I thought the bit where

the smugglers showed up and they were getting chased by CG blobs was unnecessary and dragged a bit. It was the only bit that felt like it was from an Abrams movie
Otherwise, yeah, the pacing was pretty good.

As for characters:
Poe's was non existent. That was disappointing.
And that was one of the first things I was thinking when watching: "Hey, the storm troopers are hitting stuff!"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:51:12 PM by Lard »

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »
I'll also go on to say that I loved the ending. The final scene was beautiful.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 07:08:28 AM »
I saw it and I liked it, I'd say the thing I disliked the most is how they handled the main villain at some points.

Pretty big spoilers below, careful folks.

I like the idea he's like a confused child romanticizing about something he's never actually seen for himself. Without some backstory it's harder to understand him, but I'm guessing that'll come with the next movies.

What I didn't like was how ineffective he felt. I think I would've preferred if he completely overpowered Finn at the end and didn't get his ass beaten by Rey. I don't really care how powerful with the Force Rey is, you'd think a guy that's actually trained to use it would have an easy time at least matching her. I think I would've been fine with the latter if they had shown Rey changing up the way she was fighting when the Force Awakened (hur hur), but all I really saw was her doing the same kind of slashing movements she was 10 seconds before, except she got to win this time.

Didn't care much for a character death but like Lard, I understand why it happened. It sort of had to given some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Hyper nerd-tier nitpicking:
-Why would Luke shirk all responsibility and go into hiding instead of dealing with his pupil?
-Why would there be a map to Luke Skywalker?
-What's with the laughable names for Dark Side characters? First Sheev, and now Snoke.
-Meh soundtrack

Ending on something more positive, I'm sure some of the fanboys got the cinematic equivalent of blue balls, but I really liked the way they used Luke Skywalker.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
I saw it and I liked it, I'd say the thing I disliked the most is how they handled the main villain at some points.

Pretty big spoilers below, careful folks.

I like the idea he's like a confused child romanticizing about something he's never actually seen for himself. Without some backstory it's harder to understand him, but I'm guessing that'll come with the next movies.

What I didn't like was how ineffective he felt. I think I would've preferred if he completely overpowered Finn at the end and didn't get his ass beaten by Rey. I don't really care how powerful with the Force Rey is, you'd think a guy that's actually trained to use it would have an easy time at least matching her. I think I would've been fine with the latter if they had shown Rey changing up the way she was fighting when the Force Awakened (hur hur), but all I really saw was her doing the same kind of slashing movements she was 10 seconds before, except she got to win this time.

Didn't care much for a character death but like Lard, I understand why it happened. It sort of had to given some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Hyper nerd-tier nitpicking:
-Why would Luke shirk all responsibility and go into hiding instead of dealing with his pupil?
-Why would there be a map to Luke Skywalker?
-What's with the laughable names for Dark Side characters? First Sheev, and now Snoke.
-Meh soundtrack

Ending on something more positive, I'm sure some of the fanboys got the cinematic equivalent of blue balls, but I really liked the way they used Luke Skywalker.
Spoilers
Luke left because I think the failed pupil that destroyed his new academy was probably kylo. That would be too much for most people I guess
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:13:37 AM by Yoda »

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »
I agree that it was a great start to a new trilogy, but not perfect by any means.

Some spoilers here so putting them in code:

The few things I didn't like have already been mentioned. I liked Poe, but then he was absent for a good chunk of the movie and his importance to the plot seems like it was negligible after the first ten minutes.

I also didn't like the monster things on Han and Chewie's big freighter. That just felt too contrived and the CG honestly didn't look that great. And did anyone else think of Firefly during that scene? Because it was very reminiscent of a few occurrences in Firefly when Han gets boarded by another group of smugglers out for him. I guess one could say Firefly should be reminiscent of Star Wars rather than the reverse, but it really felt like Firefly to me.

I was okay with a certain character's death. I was anticipating it as soon as family relations were revealed. What I did not like is how it was swept under the rug so quickly. The audience was given all of two minutes to mourn before R2 conveniently wakes up to reveal Luke's location. One would think they'd take the death of arguably the most popular character in the franchise a bit more seriously.

Kylo Ren is Anakin Skywalker 2.0, but this seemed a bit more intentional rather than just lackluster acting a la Hayden Christensen in Attack of the Clones. Still found him annoying whenever the mask was off though.

I didn't really understand the governing entities in the galaxy. Sounds like there is a New Republic, and the First Order is kind of a remnant or successor to the Empire. But why is the Resistance a thing? Why wouldn't the New Republic be involved in fending off the First Order? It sounds like the New Republic does have a pretty significant fleet after all, so why just a small band of resistance?

Overall, I honestly did not like the direction quite that much. It didn't feel as grand or as sweeping, for lack of better descriptives, of the old Star Wars movies. Even the prequels felt like they were much more massive in scale. While I didn't expect Abrams to just imitate Lucas by any means, I kind of preferred Lucas's style of direction and editing better. I loved Rey and Finn, thought the script was great even if the plot was pretty recycled from the old movies. Loved the more referential nods like dumping Phasma down a garbage chute. Really loved the lightsaber duel, which is the best there has been since Darth Maul. And I really enjoyed the movie overall. I just prefer a less cramped directorial style.

At least Abrams avoided the shaky cam direction. I hate that.

Despite the above grumbles. I really, really did enjoy it. I'm going to see it again next week probably. There was just a lot to take in and the pacing was so fast that I feel like I missed a lot.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »
Just got back from it. Wasn't bad at all really. Such a major, major disappointed in Rei (or Ray, or whatever spelling it is) though. Such a painful Mary Sue (with the unfortunate 'fanboy' archetype tacked on) that any scene she was in with dialog really injured the movie. Would've been a much better production with her chopped out entirely but...eh. They have two more movie to fix her. Very much a shame since I had high hopes for a female protagonist in Star Wars but I should've remembered these are modern Hollywood writers I'm talking about here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:58:16 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
^ I loved Rey, loved Daisy Ridley, and loved everything she said and did in the film.  Her and Finn were the best parts of the whole thing.

It's weird because I was really excited to see the OT characters making a return to these iconic roles, but then I ended up just absolutely loving the new guys.  I'm really not sure how anyone could not like them.  They're fun and charismatic and do awesome stuff.  What more could you ask for?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons