Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Re: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
Eh, lemme re-write the original Episode IV here so you can see the problem. (Paraphrase because I can't remember the exact dialog.)

In spoilers because it ruins a movie joke for VII.

Code: [Select]

Stormtroopers: Let's check out these guys. They have droids.

Luke: ...oh crap, what are we going to do?

Ben: Be patient, and you'll se-

Luke: Oh right! You talked to me for five minutes about the force. I got this.

Stormtroopers: Let me see your identification.

Luke: You don't need to see my identification.

Stormtroopers: ...we don't need to see your identification.

Repeat that ad-nauseum for the whole movie. Luke doesn't take a hit during his blinder training. Luke actually rushes forward and kicks Darth Vader's rear end after he offs Kenobi. Luke makes the shot first try against the Death Star while doing donuts in his X-Wing immediately as the Battle of Yavin begins.

See the problem now?

(Probably not spoilers but better safe than sorry.)
Rei does this the entire movie. She does nothing for the results she gets. Her start circumstances don't justify this either.
Luke grew up in pretty much the same set of dangerous circumstances, a son of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy,
and he didn't get as many free power-ups with no reason as Rei does. (She comes off feeling like a video game character,
gaining abilities just because the plot has written in a tutorial level and nothing else.)

It's just horribly, horribly lazy.

I really, really don't want to write up the list of every branch this character hits down the Mary Sue tree. Must I? I'm not saying you can't enjoy her (I half did despite her negative aspects), but she is what she is.

Edit: Actually I should just bite my tongue here. This is starting to feel like a meaningless rant for rant's sake. XP Sorries.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:04:50 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
I get what you're saying, even if I think you're exaggerating.  I've heard others complaining that they wished that the good guys failed more in the film (not entirely the same as what you're saying, but a similar complaint).

I'll say, though, there are reasonable explanations (or, at worst, possible explanations) for everything Rey does.  Not least of which being that First Order ain't no Empire, and Emotionally Unstable And Physically Injured Kylo Ren ain't no Darth Vader.  And the movie makes no bones about those distinctions, too.

For now, you can at least pin your hopes on Rey's purposely mysterious and vague backstory.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
JJ did much better with Star Wars than he did with Star Trek.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »
JJ did much better with Star Wars than he did with Star Trek.

I'm still not sure what the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars is. Is Trek the one with the Dalons?
o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 11:35:35 PM »
Well the Trek is about the journey to the Wars. Along the way good times are had by all

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:43:59 PM by Yoda »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
Despite liking the movie, I pretty much agree with just about everything ZH said about Rey. What I will say though is that I was actually okay with accepting most of it as just her getting lucky a few times, except for the one I mentioned before.

The ending in A New Hope had a nice bit of visual storytelling by having Luke turn off his Targeting Computer, which gave a nice contrast between the fantasy element of the universe and the sci-fi element. In The Force Awakens Rey just uses the Force to swing her sword harder.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
I think the Rey stuff is going to depend a lot on how the next two movies go, tbh. Like I gots the impression thing in question gon' be 'splored eventually so it's a matter if they do or dain't.

Also it's totes possible that Kylo Ren is just bad with a lifesaver. Like Fin held his own against him with no training, most of Ren's dueling partners were, uh, iMacs, and he was probably doing that fancy proper lightsword techinque while Rey was just wailing on him cause she's just to stick whammying.

Also i'm not super into star wars so I don't know the mythos much but I also got the impression that being freaklishly good with force stuff early wasn't necessarily a good thing.

In any case, enjoyed the hell out of it. Kind of surprised that I did.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:35:43 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »

Also i'm not super into star wars so I don't know the mythos much but I also got the impression that being freaklishly good with force stuff early wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Just going off the older movies alone. I don't think it has so much to do with being good 'early' as it does about being good AND 'late'. If I recall correctly even child Anakin was considered 'too old' for their mental training. Yoda didn't want to train Luke because he was strong and had that combination of 'far too old to be mentally conditioned' + latent fear from past events. From what the movies say those combinations are supposed to lead to the Dark Side, but they've never actually let this pan out. (Anakin was seduced later on by a Sith Lord, who tend to convert adult Jedi on a decent enough basis, so he doesn't qualify for this issue.)

Funnily enough I had this same thought as I was watching VII and I think one little change to the script would've both helped bring this plot point to fruition and provide nearly full forgiveness for my complaints about Rey.

When Rey taps into the force vs Kylo...she should've produced Force Lightning.

Not only does it make more sense than "I swing my sword harder", but it would've been a perfect explanation
and forewarning about letting her develop at this rate/circumstances.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »
Just got back from it. Loved it, Rey is waifu material.

Spoiler tags!!!!
I walked into this knowing Han got murked by Kylo Ren (Ben), but even knowing it, the scene was very well acted. I didn't think I'd like Adam Driver first, but he plays dark douchenozzle well. You can also feel that sense of torn emotion, much better than with Anakin's actor. I look forward to seeing how he progresses further into his descent to darkness, though I fully believe by the last of the trilogy he will either kill his master to become more powerful or save Rey, maybe both.

I like Finn, but I hated how he was a soldier, born and raised, yet he seemed to be almost useless at the start. Really could have made him seem more unsure of himself and less overall new to everything. Granted he worked sanitation on the base...he's still a stormtrooper.

I think Daisy Ridley is the next Natalie Portman. I absolutely loved her in the entire movie...until the fight scene at the end. Seriously lame. I get she has no training with a lightsaber and her force knowledge was lacking, but even with Kylo injured from the bowcaster round to the chest and the handfull of smacks he took from Finn, he should have been able to handle himself better. I wished they would have given her more training to make the fight look a little less...limp. That or just skip the fight with her involved in general.

I like Kylo Ren's style with his lightsaber...I'm considering calling it a lightsword from now on. It reminded me of Siegfried almost from Soul Caliber. His weapon is far more destructive than a typical lightsaber. Still, that hiltguard lightsaber thing...the hell is the point, aside from when they lock weapons together and he can poke them with the end of it... seems silly.

Poe Damerun...I REALLY wish he had more screen time. I like him.
Seriously loved the movie. I can't wait to see the next one.

TASTY!

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 01:38:34 AM »
@ D

The spoiler was kind of obvious even if you didn't have it spoiled :S There's really no other way it could've turned out and it's kind of working on dramatic irony a
GODDAMMIT I DIDN'T PUT MY COMPUTER BACK TOGETHER RIGHT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
o/` I do not dream o/`

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »
@ D

The spoiler was kind of obvious even if you didn't have it spoiled :S There's really no other way it could've turned out and it's kind of working on dramatic irony a
GODDAMMIT I DIDN'T PUT MY COMPUTER BACK TOGETHER RIGHT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
It wasn't THAT obvious. It was just shy of feeling forced actually, like they did it for the sake of doing it.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
Rey is waifu material.

DAT SMILE, amirite?

Although she doesn't spend a lot of time smiling.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
Rey is waifu material.

DAT SMILE, amirite?

Although she doesn't spend a lot of time smiling.
She is easily the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Natalie Portman. Hell, maybe even better. I just hope her skills with a lightsaber improve in the sequels.

TASTY!

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »
How was Natalie Portman a good thing that happened to star wars? Yes she's gorgeous and actually is a good actress but she was fucking terrible in the prequels. Just awful.

I saw TFA again, took my mom. She loved it.