Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Etrain Odyssey trailer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Etrain Odyssey trailer  (Read 2024 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »

http://sekaiju.atlus.co.jp/index.php?itemid=51

A Nintendo DS from Atlus R&D1 (SMT games, Trauma Center, etc.) with Yuzo Koshiro doing the music. :3

And if you missed the old one you can see it here:

http://sekaiju.atlus.co.jp/index.php?itemid=33

It comes out this month in Japan, not sure when it'll come here, Atlus USA says Q1 but I doubt that it'll make it here so soon.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »

Yes! This is one of my most anticipated games. Persona 3 being #1

"Oh, a hunter..."
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 02:44:09 AM »

Yes! Very excited.

This game is oozing Wizardry... and I don't mean that cheap, butchered version most JRPG developers went a long with. :)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 03:18:17 AM »

ah yes, from "Project Yggdrasil." This is the game that was tentatively entitled "Yggdrasil Labyrinth" ... which would have been a headache since the games "Yggdra Union" and "Deep Labyrinth" have also been recently released. Glad they gave it the name "Etrian Odyssey."

The gameplay doesn't look that great (as stated, it's Wizardry-like FPoV dungeon crawling), but the character design, story, and !YUZO KOSHIRO! music will probably win me over.

Ramza

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 09:47:32 AM »

Can someone explain this game a bit more to me. I can't find much about it, and form what I can tell it plays more like RPG Maker than anything else. Graphics look amazing for the DS though.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"

The gameplay doesn't look that great (as stated, it's Wizardry-like FPoV dungeon crawling), but the character design, story, and !YUZO KOSHIRO! music will probably win me over.

Ramza

What the hell are you talking about man? That will be the best part.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »

Quote from: "Britton"
Can someone explain this game a bit more to me. I can't find much about it, and form what I can tell it plays more like RPG Maker than anything else. Graphics look amazing for the DS though.

* create up to 20 unique characters from 9 different classes and store them in the Adventurer's Guild
* rotate characters in and out of your 5-man battle party
* each character class has 20 different skills to learn
* the game runs at a silky smooth 60 frames-per-second
* the game will be 25-30 hours in length at least, 40+ via sidequests
* dungeons are not random, it's all designed and you can map it on the touch-screen
* there is no quick save feature (due to hardware limitations) or saving in the dungeons because it is a crawler, you can save at inns though

* unlike Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey is not designed around the touch screen; the game was designed, and then they came up with ways for the touch screen to work with the gameplay
* it's not Shin Megami Tensei DS; the creators wanted to make an original game
* because it's a portable game, game is designed to have straightforward, accessible objectives, but to have the objectives difficult to actually achieve

* influenced by the Wizardry games; "The plans we have now is something we came up with after looking back at Wizardry series of RPGs, trying to think how they may have turned out if we remade them."
* "First of all, lets make it clear that games where you can just do a lot of button bashing to complete isn’t very Atlus-like and not very interesting to us."
* "For example, in the case where an enemy has fierce fire attacks, any characters who have chosen to raise their fire defence will be able to defeat the enemy easily while others who have not will have a harder time. ... I wanted to increase the difficulty of the battles by letting players customize their skills without compromising the balance."
* "It might be odd to choose only people that only I myself want to work with but, I think that’s the best choice."

- At the start you can pick several classes: Swordsman, Paladin, Ranger, Medic, Alchemist, Dark Hunter and Bard.
- Cast Maker and Bushido were classes that were there but could not be selected in this build.
- You name your character after selecting the class, and you can make a maximum of 5 characters.
- Because the characters you create are your characters, there is no particular main character in the story.
- Instead the story progresses in a third-person perspective much like a novel, which is a departure from how Atlus stories usually take place.
- After assembling your party you can get story quest events from the Rada Administration.
- Skills appear to be pretty important because if you have no skills set up and you explore into the Tree Sea, you can easily die.
- When you're in the Tree Sea, the bottom screen serves as a grid mapping until which you use to mark the various places where there are events, items, etc.
- There's a very nice sense of exploration and dungeon crawling.
- Enemies are random, and have their own drops, like in all dungeon crawlers.
- The mapping using the touch screen is pretty intuitive and easy, and well implemented.
- Hopefully these impressions make fans feel better because the game hasn't had much promotional information or details lately.

F.O.E. System:
"There are the usual random encounters but, you can also see monsters on the top screen wandering about. You’ll be able to see many of them by walking around the map. There is an ecosystem among the monsters and every turn you take in battle, they will move a step."

"You could find yourself fighting one monster after the other if you happen to be surrounded while in battle. The more turns you take in battle, the more enemies you find you’ll be surrounded with."

"If the worse comes to worst, you may find a very powerful monster right behind you (Laughs) You’ll be making every step carefully to shake off these monsters but, there will also be random battles to stop you. So if there’s a strong enemy chasing you then, the battles could end in one turn (Laughs) Being able to display such enemies on one screen while having a map on the other is something that only the Nintendo DS can do."

"They won’t be patrolling in circles as they will have their own AI such as moving according to what they see, what they hear or if the player is directly in front of them. There are all sort of triggers for these “f.o.e.” We’ve added all sorts of little gimmicks such as one where a wolf will attack you if you have some meat. There will be good players who will keep holding the meat and continue through the dungeon but there will also be those that will decide to throw away the meet to avoid the wolf. Players will be clearing this game in stages and once they do, they will remember how to clear the same stage next time they come across it."

Sorry if anything is repeated, I tried to edit out everything that was said twice. Thanks to ethelred and duckroll on neogaf for all the information.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »

Thanks for this info. It has me even more excited now.

The only thing I don't like is how to save. That just means I won't be able to play this much on the go. Oh well. Everything else sounds great.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 02:18:41 AM »

A good looking original RPG for the DS that plays like a cross between Wizardry & a JRPG?  Published by Atlus no less?  Sign me up!

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:09:40 AM »

It's also developed by Atlus R&D1. =P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: