Author Topic: Your Top Five Releases In The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Fifteen

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
Greetings.  I don't know how it was in your musical circles, but I think 2015 has been one of the better musical years in recent history.  I had the pleasure of listening to a ton of good music, so much so that I'm having trouble even coming up with a top ten, much less a top five.  But I will, because I'm not an indecisive little bitch.

Feel free to be as wordy as you like.

5.  Enslaved - In Times:  This is the first Enslaved album that I don't feel like is better than their previous album, hence why it's at the bottom of my list.  Up until now there's always been a sense of progression to their music, but this time around it hits just shy of the mark that "RITTIR" made.  Not that that's a horrible thing, being runner up to one of the best metal releases of the past decade.    There's still some great tracks here (and "One Thousand Of Rain" is one of the best they've ever written), but I can't help but be slightly disappointed.  Still beats the vast majority of 2015's metal albums.

4.  My Dying Bride - Feel The Misery:  I've generally been a lukewarm fan of My Dying Bride over the years.  I like bits and pieces of their discography, but they've never released an album that I thought was excellent from front to back.  Until now, at least.  This is wonderful:  it's wretched as hell, yet it's full of beauty and mystique.  There's some great guitar harmony at work here too.  If you're one of the many who think MDB has gone a bit off the rails lately, you should definitely give it a chance.  It's made a believer out of me.

3.  Lucifer - Lucifer I:  Albums like this are why I've gravitated towards doom metal since I was a kid.  This is damn near perfect.  Heavy riffs, interesting female vocals, slow and low.  If Jefferson Airplane had been a Black Sabbath cover band, it would have sounded just like this.  Good for fans of depressants and distortion.

2.  Ghost - Meliora:  Well, more like "Meli", because I only really dig the first half of it...but that first half blows almost everything else out of the water.  A vast improvement over Ghost's second album in all aspects.  It rides the very fine line between heavy and catchy with ease.  It wavers in the bit towards the middle (especially "Mummy Dust", which has the worst sounding keyboard solo I think I have ever heard), but comes back strong at the end with "Desu In Absentia", which has this Jim Steinman-like sense of pomp that I dig.  The strong stuff is VERY strong, and elevates Ghost above almost all the competition.  The only band that bests them this year in my opinion is:

1.  Paradise Lost - The Plague Within:  Impeccable.  Inspiring.  Lofty words, but well deserved.  Paradise Lost has been one of my favorite bands for years now, and I've always been impressed by the ways they're continually reinventing themselves on a musical level.  Death metal, doom, electronica, rock:  they've done it all.  "The Plague Within" seems like nothing less than a band manifesto, a statement of where they've been and where they're going.  This is what a veteran metal band should sound like.  I can't recommend it enough.

And that's that.  Can't wait to hear more opinions.  Unless you listen to pop or something, then I'll just skip right the fuck over you.

(Bonus:  2015's biggest disappointment goes to Iron fucking Maiden.  I never thought I would type these words.)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Top Five Releases In The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Fifteen
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:47:36 AM »
Man I'm still picking through a lot of stuff from 2015 -- there was a lot of stuff that came out this year --  so I'm just gonna say that my favorite album from 2015 (out of those that I've heard so far) is Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Sadly, I didn't listen to any band's 2015 releases.  I caught up on some 2014 stuff like Slipknot's ".5: The Grey Chronicles" (which is the album that really spoke to me when my dad passed away this past October) and Eluveitie's "Origins." 

As far as 2015 music goes, what I *have* heard from Dog Fashion Disco's "Ad Nauseam" album has been fantastic.  What I've heard is surprisingly rootsy for DFD so while there is plenty of weird, it also shows that the band has solid foundations in rock and metal.  Definitely one of the more interesting bands I've been turned onto in recent years. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
Sadly, I didn't listen to any band's 2015 releases.

Me neither. ...At least, not enough to come up with five.

One that did stand out to me was Sevendust's Kill the Flaw. Say what you will about Sevendust, but IMO, KtF is easily their best work since Animosity (almost 15 years ago).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
I remember first hearing Sevendust back in college.  I dug them and I hear they still put on one of the best live shows out there. 

It's really cool to see that some of the stuff we're reminiscing about is great albums by stalwart artists we either grew up with or could've grown up with.  Whether it's a "triumphant return to form" or a "they still got it and they ain't letting go."  Paradise Lost, Dog Fashion Disco, Sevendust... not recent little upstart bands by any means. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
non-VGM / "contemporary" only. Not ranked or ordered ... just "five I really like"

1) "Carrie & Lowell" by Sufjan Stevens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGODTySH0E&list=PL67VKSNJdY_XBvoFECHFKyesxnDhTVM8N

2) "Sun & Moon" by Timbre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rali6b1z50s

3) "Pale Horses" by mewithoutYou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP87vkD7Tag

4) "Not Real" by Stealing Sheep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HmtWyAH0Y

*5) "Milk & Eggs" by Mr. J. Medeiros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McSjxhw80bs

*This album will "technically" release on January 12th, but all his indiegogo backers (self included) got it months ago, and he's put over half the album on YouTube already. It's good.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »

One that did stand out to me was Sevendust's Kill the Flaw. Say what you will about Sevendust, but IMO, KtF is easily their best work since Animosity (almost 15 years ago).

I have a bad tendency to wait until year end lists come out to start exploring releases from a given year :SSS
o/` I do not dream o/`

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:32 PM »
  I caught up on some 2014 stuff like Slipknot's ".5: The Grey Chronicles"

Easily their best since Iowa, IMO. I thought it was released in 2015... I'm seriously losing track of time.

I remember first hearing Sevendust back in college.  I dug them and I hear they still put on one of the best live shows out there. 

It's really cool to see that some of the stuff we're reminiscing about is great albums by stalwart artists we either grew up with or could've grown up with.  Whether it's a "triumphant return to form" or a "they still got it and they ain't letting go."  Paradise Lost, Dog Fashion Disco, Sevendust... not recent little upstart bands by any means. 

That's cuz modern music is crap. ...Naw, I know that's an unfair generalization. It does seem that you have to look a bit harder than 15+ years ago, though...

I have a bad tendency to wait until year end lists come out to start exploring releases from a given year :SSS

Nothing wrong with letting someone else do the work. ;)

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
I feel like nowadays, we're experiencing the 1980s all over again.  The dominant forms of music in the 1980s were happy/good times pop music, glossy glam metal songs about boinking as many girls as possible, and "I'M A TOUGH GUY BECAUSE I LISTEN TO..." Slayer.

Cut to now:
The dominant forms of music these days are happy/good times pop music, vapid hip-hop songs about getting lots of pussy, and "I'M SO BROOOTALLLL!! HASHTAG BEASTMODE!!!!!" deathcore/metalcore.  Sensing a pattern?  

Either way, there is a lack of contemporary music for people coming from a place of feeling weak and powerless; for those who aren't happy having a good time, aren't getting play from the opposite (or desired) gender, and are getting bullied, harassed, perhaps beaten up by the tough guy dudebros and queen bee mean girls.  

That all changed in the 1990s when the dominant music was stuff like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and later on bands like Korn and Deftones.  They weren't happy (the bands were disillusioned, cynical, and often wrote very personal lyrics from their dark places of pain), they didn't (or seemed like they didn't) care about getting tons of girls (even though they surely did), and weren't MANLY MAN roid-ragin' tough guys.  Hell, when Alice in Chains played that 1991 tour with Anthrax and Slayer- they were heckled by the crowd ("bullied by the tough guys") and then they made it big and I'll bet every naysayer who took a piss on Alice in Chains during that tour bought their album a month after that tour ended and grunge started to get big.

I feel like the time is right for a band to break the mold once again and be *that* band that ties it all together.  I'd like Pool of Thorns to be that band, but I'm obviously biased.  

To keep things thread relevant, here's what I've heard so far of Dog Fashion Disco's Ad Nauseam album.  These two songs couldn't be any more different, but that's what I like about the band.  They play whatever the fuck they want, genre barriers be damned.  I wish I'd known about them earlier, because I want this album now.  I encourage folks to listen to both songs.  Same band, same album.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCd0586QF2A Title track (it's got a groovy swing rock feel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2BIJ3PED8 Covered in Blood (it's a damn good thrash song.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:49:04 PM by Dincrest »

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
I don't really listen to the radio, uh, ever, and if I'm incidentally around radios it's all oldies stations anyway (oldies includes the 80s now, obv. Richard Marx is never going to stop being right there waiting for me. Really should get around to getting that restraining order, boy howdy). And maybe this says more about me in terms of the kind of music I seek out, but the stuff from 2015 that stood out to me /is/ the alienated, malaised stuff.

And alienated and malaised is how I've been feeling for a while, so that's a lot of why I hold "I Love You Honeybear" in such high regards -- walking around town after dark and listening to Bored in the USA it's like, cool, I'm not alone here, I can relate to this.

Lately I've been listening to the Kurt Vile and Kendrick Lamar album's from last year, too. The former has a song that starts off with:

"When I go out, I take pills to take the edge off
Or to just take a chillax, man and forget about it
Just a certified badass out for a night on the town
Ain't it oh-exciting, the way one can fake their way through life
But that's neither here or there
In a way how could one ever prove you're just putting them all on"

The latter is just an all-around emotional rollercoaster.

Or Future's DS2, which is like the suicidal aftermath of all that shooting marijuana and getting vagjanyas.

Or Carrie and Lowell, which is probably the best album that I /can't bring myself to listen to most of the time/.

so ya this stuff's definitely out there. Not sure how much press it's getting but idk I know Drake's album got around a lot and while I'm personally not too big on it, I wouldn't say it was terribly happy either.

(Also something something huge gap between millennials who were older than 12 when 9/11 happened and those who were younger).
o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
RPGFan's MOTY (Music Of The Year) feature is in the works, so you'll soon see my RPGFan-related picks for favorite video game soundtracks for 2015. 

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCd0586QF2A Title track (it's got a groovy swing rock feel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2BIJ3PED8 Covered in Blood (it's a damn good thrash song.)

Never listened to DFD before. I would never have guessed that the same band played these 2 songs, if I wasn't told first. I always love to see versatility in bands (as long as none of the material is crap, of course).

Also, I feel you on the cycle of music/trends thing. A lot of the happy, repetitive, over-produced pop/hip-hop dreck of recent years definitely has an 80s way about it.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »
I couldn't come up with five top releases, but here's a few releases that have been on my mind. I'm mostly a power/progressive metal dude, but I do delve into other styles from time to time. See my review of Kung Fury below.

Stratovarious - Eternal  - Great album. Nice continuation from Nemesis. Favorite track would be "Lost Without a Trace". "The Lost Saga," was also a rad long concluding song to the album. I like the build up in the beginning, wish more songs on the album mirrored more of this style. Overall a great polished production. I've been a long time fan of these guys. Hard to believe this was their 16th album. Wow.

Royal Hunt - XIII - Devi's Dozen - Decent album, but I prefer the previous album "A Life To Die For" better. The new album felt a little "meh" for me this time around.

Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun - New singer and guitarist. This act caught my interest because Jacob Hansen left Anubis Gate to help retool the band and improve the studio recording sound. Favorite track was "Fearless" awesome build up and surprisingly a great track to get bumped up for some sport activity or hitting the gym.

Kung Fury (Soundtrack) - Total trip to the 80s. Not my usually listening style, but I liked the throwback tunes. The music reminded me of an 80s workout video. I could just imagine someone with a big afro wearing a headband and wristbands dancing to these songs. Also, nice touch by getting David Hasselhoff to sing "True Survivor." For those who haven't seen this movie yet, see it! It was a hilarious 30 minute short that ran on Netflix. Also free on YouTube somewhere...

*edit* Albums I still need to check out are the new Galneryus, Coldplay and Deathcab for Cutie.

*second edit* I completely forgot to mention Cain's Offering "Storm Crow" Awesome sophomore album. I was surprised they waited so many years for a follow up to their 2009 debut album. It's the brain child of former lead guitarist Jani from Sonata Arctica and members of Stratovarius. Favorite track was "Best of Times" Not too many weak songs. Only one song bugged me was "Antemorten" .. it sounded a bit too much like a copied riff from Nightwish, but other than that excellent power metal.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:53:45 PM by OrsonFury »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Pyramaze is still doing their thing? Nice.  I didn't like thr Melancholy Beast album, but I really liked Legend of the Bone Carver.

Natros- since we were talking Slipknot, what's your favorite Slipknot album? Mine is probably All Hope is Gone.  Gematria (The Killing Name) is my favorite song from there.  I used to be a metal elitist who was anti-Slipknot, but that song completely changed my mind.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKZaLAnVHg

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:24:54 PM »
Pyramaze is still doing their thing? Nice.  I didn't like thr Melancholy Beast album, but I really liked Legend of the Bone Carver.

Yep and I would say they have a wider appeal now. Here's the new content you can check out:

Disciples of the Sun (music video)
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnx9NfowCXc

Back for More (lyric video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0A_NYk_kbc

Fearless (lyric video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_xvG26Xjk