Author Topic: RPG Maker games stutter

Tomara

• View Profile
RPG Maker games stutter
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
My laptop recently decided that it hates RPG maker games I play through Steam.

This is what's been happening:
The game will stutter BADLY. It runs kinda slow for a second or two, then stops entirely for several seconds. If I wait long enough, there's a decent chance it will stop for a while and work properly. However, if I'm unlucky, it'll go right back to acting like a spoiled toddler in a supermarket during Christmas season. This happens to nearly all RPG Maker games I bought through Steam. I used to be able to run these games just fine, but at some point in time (and I have no idea when that was, but it was somewhere between late August and last week) things went weird.

This my system (please don't laugh):
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CPU: i3-2370M 2.40GHz
4GB RAM
Intel Graphics HD 3000

As pathetic as it is, it's severly overqualified for RPG Maker games, so it should not be having trouble, even with the Steam Client (and a browser!) running in the background.

I know that:
-my drivers are up to date (maybe that's the problem?)
-virus and malware scans say my system is clean
-other Steam games run fine (Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star is the only exception, but that one has constant drops throughout the whole game)
-RPG Maker games I did not buy through Steam appear to work fine (haven't tested ALL games I've downloaded)
-it happens in both windowed mode and full screen
-Reduce Screen Flicker is unchecked

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: RPG Maker games stutter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
If the laptop used to run certain games fine and now doesn't...

~ Is your BIOS up to date? Not saying that's a guaranteed fix, but a lot of problems can be rooted to the BIOS needing to be updated to match the latest OS/software/drivers. It's at least a good starting point.

~ You could try uninstalling the Steam client (I don't know if you'd have to re-download games or not), removing all traces of it from the registry, and then reinstalling

~ Graphics drivers themselves could perhaps be the issue. If there was an update installed within the time frame you mentioned, see if you can go back a version or two. You never know... Might help.

~ Perhaps a hardware component is slowly on its way out? Laptops seem to be built to fail. I've seen so many go to shit well before they should have. When was the last time you ran the Windows Experience Index on that machine? If it was before this started happening, you could run it again now to see if the scores are the same.

Mainly just shooting in the dark.

Anyway, worst comes to worst, you could back up all of your shit and reinstall Windows from scratch. Sometimes an ol' hard drive gutting works well.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
What if you go in offline mode and launch the game?

Also, is Steam overlay on? Could be that also. Try turning it off if it is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:15:58 PM by Annubis »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »
Things I tried/looked at:

-BIOS is up to date
-Steam Overlay is disabled
-problem still there in Offline Mode

~ You could try uninstalling the Steam client (I don't know if you'd have to re-download games or not), removing all traces of it from the registry, and then reinstalling

I have back-ups of my faves, so it wouldn't be much of a problem if I did have to reinstall them. I'm going to try this if I can't find a faster fix.

~ Graphics drivers themselves could perhaps be the issue. If there was an update installed within the time frame you mentioned, see if you can go back a version or two. You never know... Might help.

Looks like the last driver update is from June - months before the problem started.

Weird thought: what if it has something to do with the sound instead? The problem seems at it's worst when new music starts playing. In the game 199x I can actually hear parts of the song repeat during the stuttering. Like, it'll get to near the end of the sentence, jump back to the first few, play a little further than before, jump back again, and repeat.

I have tried shutting down sound in the game itself, but that does not have any effect.

~ Perhaps a hardware component is slowly on its way out? Laptops seem to be built to fail. I've seen so many go to shit well before they should have. When was the last time you ran the Windows Experience Index on that machine? If it was before this started happening, you could run it again now to see if the scores are the same.

I hope not... This one is not that old and despite its quirks (the Xenoblade OST is not an operating system, stop trying to boot from my MP3 player!), I quite like it.

It's been ages since I ran the WEI. It used to be 4.8 (graphics were never its strong suit, most other scores are ~6-7). I'm running it now and it's... 4.8. No noticable changes.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
Ah, damnit. I might gave much bigger problems than RPG Maker games running like chunky crap through a rusty strainer... This morning, my laptop could not find the harddisk while booting. Solved it by restoring the BIOS and everything worked fine. However, I just restarted my laptop and the same thing happened. I managed to 'solve' it the same way. This is a new problem and should be separate from the RPG Maker/Steam issues, but damn...

Guess I am looking at a complete system restore regardless.

... And that didn't solve the booting problem. Well, not entirely anyway. Now it just insists on me looking at settings for a second and it boots just fine after exiting those. Despite the laptop thinking its drive is dead, yeah.

... Plot twist: the drive was dead all along.

Maybe its booting priorities are all weird. I should take a second look at that.

Edit: I think the booting problem might be gone now! It looks like it was trying to boot from a non-existent network (why? I have no idea!), hence the not being able to find an OS on the hard disk. The hard disk it was looking for never existed. I think it got its priorities straight again.

RPG Maker games still aren't working all that great, though...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:21:18 PM by Tomara »