Author Topic: Completion List 2016

ultra7k

• View Profile
Completion List 2016
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
Let's kick off 2016 the right way....by gaming!

1.) King's Quest Ep.1/2

Pleasantly surprised at how good the first episode was. It was exactly what I would expect KQ to be like if it were developed today. I think they really got the feel down, though it is considerably less dark in parts compared to it's predecessors than I remember. Still, very, very well done. Episode 2 on the other hand, is much shorter and far less fleshed out than episode 1. Here's hoping Episode 3 is a step up!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Completion List 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
Radiant Historia incoming... (thread tagged)
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
1. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Well that's one of my 25 backlog games I want to finish in 2016 out of the way. One thing I liked about the games is that they both wore their focus on their respective sleeves; with Seasons focused on tough combat, and Ages focused on tricky puzzles. Of the two, I think I prefer Ages. Though I did prefer navigation in Seasons, I preferred most everything else in Ages.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
1. Radiant Historia
Quite a fantastic game.  Gave it a 4/5, loved the characters and story.  The music was quite good, but I didn't feel like it was Shimomura's best.  Still, good VGM leaves a legacy, so we'll see how I feel about the music in a year or so when I listen to the OST of this game.  The battle system was interesting, even if it did get grindy.  I really started to enjoy it when I did a couple things: 1) Be liberal with the Escape command. If I didn't get a Preemptive Strike, I would usually just run away. Made the game so much more tolerable.  2) In conjunction with running away a lot in story dungeons, I found that it was actually very efficient to do all your leveling up when you have easy access to an inn. That way you don't need to worry about conserving MP, so you can blow enemies away with ease, get lots of XP, and then just rest at the dungeon.  Classic grinding tactics, but they stay fresher in this game, especially if you follow step 1 above.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »
1. Lost
It was nice to revisit The Island. The game was pretty average but the short length meant it did not really overstay it's welcome.

2. Bulletstorm
It was loads of fun. I am disappointed I did not play it sooner.

3. Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
Stage 8 caught me off guard and the game continued to hit me with randomness from then on. Boss battles were fun and they were all very different from one another.

The three games are pretty short but it is still nice to see my backlog slowly decrease.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
DARK SOULS 2 has been "Klyded"

The end

Numero uno of 2016 and not a journey I will soon forget (Nor put down for awhile given the post game content)
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »

2. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - was spending some time trying to find all the little secrets, but with FF Explorers having shipped, I just wanted to finish it. In the end I was missing one Kinstone, the mirror shield, the elemental arrows, and five pieces of heart. Not too bad for the type of Zelda game Minish Cap is.

On one hand, this was one of my favorite Zelda games because it had a lot of unique items and did the Wind Waker thing with very few dungeons but replaced with a lot of side content. On the other hand, it did the 3D Dot Game Heroes thing where a lot of the available side content would change or get locked at different points of the story with no warning.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »
1.) King's Quest Ep.1/2
2.) History Legends of War: Patton (Platinum)

Trundled my way through Patton on Vita as it was the free offering from PS+. Easy enough game, just didn't get through it as quick as I'd hoped due to time constraints. It's a low budget strategy game that has some strange mechanics such as if you increase your available shots per turn, it also increases the enemies...so while it does give you a boost, the game without it would be far too easy I suppose. You can basically win 18/21 maps or something in this game just by using Snipers and Bazooka units.

I'll now turn my attention to Danganronpa 2. Haven't wanted to play this one after beating the first installment last year due to a fear of burning out. However, the time feels right, and what better way to bookend my 1st platinum, DR1, with my 10th platinum in DR2!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
Darksiders - All in all, not bad for a Zelda clone. Story is entirely forgettable, but the VA is at least decent (Mark Hammil is excellent, as usual). Admittedly, I was getting a bit bored towards the end of the game, but the tight gameplay helped. The last boss was easier than some of the earlier bosses, IMO.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »

2. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap

3. Evoland 2 - Finished this last Friday with 100% completion. Really fantastic example of a well done sequel. The first Evoland was kind of a mess with a ton of wasted potential. This game took all the criticism on the nose and crafted a really neat RPG that, although still not really delivering on the promise of the last game, instead decided to go a different direction and was very successful. I did feel the ending was a bit *too* open-ended, and the latter parts of the plot felt like they were developing behind the protagonists' backs, but overall it was a wonderful game.

4. Borderlands 2 - Not much more to add about this that I haven't already said. The story was good, the gameplay was great when it wasn't being incredibly frustrating. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep is probably the greatest bit of DLC for any game ever. I did kind of stop the game midway through the Captain Scarlett side content. I ran into a quest that I was almost certain was bugged and considering how overleveled for the content I was, I just wasn't having fun anymore. Actually, after I got Maya's "Toxic Cloud" ability, any effort the game required was basically gone, further proving my point that Gearbox did a crap job of balancing this one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:09:16 PM by Klutz64 »

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
1.) King's Quest Ep.1/2
2.) History Legends of War: Patton (Platinum)
3.) Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Platinum ongoing)

Just wrapped up the main story line in Danganaronpa 2. Saw some of the elements coming, but a few of those reveals were mind benders for sure. Should have the platinum for this game by week's end I'd imagine.

Edit: Wrapped up Danganronpa 2 early yesterday morning! Now on to Trails SC!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:51:44 PM by ultra7k »

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »
1. Lost
2. Bulletstorm
3. Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day

4. Red Faction: Armageddon
Not the biggest fan of it. Even though it was a short game, it got old pretty fast.

5. Persona 4 Golden
Still really enjoyable. The scenes where they talk about the investigation at Junes were kind of hard to watch on a replay but since the story revolves around a mystery, I cut it some slack. Social Links were still really good the second time around.

6. Ico
I really liked it. The puzzles were hard enough that they were enjoyable to solve but not at a level where I had to look up the solution at Gamefaqs. Kind of dissapointed that I didn't play this on the ps2 way back when.

7. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Collecting all the Digimon was really fun. Battles were pretty good too although they were a bit on the easy side and you probably had your final party at the two thirds mark. I wasn't the biggest fan of the dungeons. They were way too samey.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
ah crap, I should've started keeping track when this thread went up.

Off the top of my head:

1. STEINS;GATE (Vita)
2. Warsong (Genesis)
3. Breath of Fire (SNES)
4. Grim Fandango Remastered (PC)

I'm sure there are other PC games, I just forget what they are, or which I cleared in 2015 and which in 2016, since "winter break" is a blur. Mass Effect 3 might be in there as well.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Trails in the Sky SC - It took me a while to get through it, but it was worth it. Couldn't have hoped for a better (sorta) conclusion.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - Good Etrian game is good. The characters were kinda cardboard-like, but Chloe's obsession with food did get me to giggle a few times. That part could have been worse.

The Legend of Legacy - A poor man's SaGa.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
Darksiders

Wild Arms.
First time playing. Not bad. Not great, either.