Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2015 - Unofficial Thread

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
RPGFan Games of the Year 2015 - Unofficial Thread
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:37 AM »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Games of the Year 2015 - Unofficial Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
Last year (according to my backloggery) I beat games made in 2013, 2005, 1996, 2013, 2014, 2011, 2000, 2002, 1998, 1998 and 1993. 

and I'm honestly surprised that there were as many post 2008 as there were. But for some reason, until I just checked,  I thought that both Muramasa Rebirth and Freedom Wars came out in 2015.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »
Many of the winners are on my wait until next sale to get it cheaper (or for Witcher3... wait until I get a new computer that can get decent FPS).
I guess you'll have to suffer me being all excited about these 2015 games in 2016.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »
- What precisely is "traditional" about Xenoblade X?  I get that it's not an ARPG or anything, but... it's weird to think of it as "traditional", since it is so unusual and distinct.  I like that Trails SC got the Reader Vote.  That's more like the kind of thing I think of when I hear "traditional RPG".

- Wasn't Steins;Gate's official English release in 2015?  That should have knocked the socks off of Until Dawn and the rest in the VN category.

- Weak year for SRPGs. :(

- Really nice to see FFX/X-2 HD keep Zelda out of the Top 2 for Reader's Vote in Port/Rerelease category, especially considering Majora's Mask is not an RPG.  One of these days, though, I'll actually get to Suikoden II!

- I am hoping to soon be able to fully appreciate why Xenoblade X won Best Combat.  At first, it was the weakest part of the game, for me, but I'm fast warming up to it.

- YAY Estelle Bright got recognition!  Even though she lost to Generic White Tough Guy WRPG Protag #31, I'm still glad she took runner-up in Best Protagonist.

- Well, I'm happy to at least be enjoying the SECOND-best RPG of 2015 right now, because I'll never play the best.  Alas.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »
"Traditional" is meant as a synonym for "turn-based."
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
I actually would say its even a stretch to call XBCX "turn-based"

I mean, you don't really hear the term thrown around to describe WoW or similar MMOs.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »
"Traditional" is meant as a synonym for "turn-based."

And even then its still a stretch since the game isn't exactly broken up into 'turns' like your Dragon Quests or your really early Final Fantasies. Still, one can't fully say that it isn't either since Arts and their Cooldown function as 'turns' in a way, much like not-quite-as-early FFs ATB could be considered to function in 'turns'.

But really, XBCs 1 & X are more MMO-style than anything else. Just good luck getting people to look past the stigma of Aughts era MMOs and how these aren't nearly as awful.

As for why Teh Belly-Itcher 3 won over XBCX? Well, I suppose that availability was once again the kingmaker (that or there just wasn't enough cliche anime tropes in XBCX to compete with Witcher 3). :V

E:F;b.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »
How was 2015 a weak year for SRPGs? There may not have been many, but Disgaea 5, Devil Survivor 2, Summon Night 5, and Shadowrun Hong Kong were all good games. 

And, as always, I like reading the editors' picks.  Some cool stuff in there.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
If it makes you feel better, the GotY race was extremely close. Folks lobbied hard for both games, and both were worthy of the crown, but there can be only one. :)
—Kurt Vonnegut

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Too fast for Turn-based
Too not Action-based.

Periodic Incremental-Based RPG?
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Too fast for Turn-based
Too not Action-based.

Periodic Incremental-Based RPG?

Maybe Positional Based since there's a lot of that going on.

Though Timer Based is probably the most accurate.

If it makes you feel better, the GotY race was extremely close. Folks lobbied hard for both games, and both were worthy of the crown, but there can be only one. :)

I won't argue the outcome, but I will begrudgingly grumble as loudly as I can.

Because frankly, they both had some noticeable issues with them, but between all the issues plaguing XBCX like the lack of a solid main plot (on top of failing to follow up on XBC1's solid main plot), uncomfortable faces, the samey Swano nonstop power hour, tiny ass font, weird danger level indicators, on top of coming out right at the end of the year, it just loses out over TW3 and its "Hey, this one has actual gameplay this time!", face wrecking level 50+ shitfarming peasants jobbing the mighty Witcher, aka glass ankled Geralt, on top of its largely bare naked sandbox, among other things.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 11:21:07 PM »
Re

, I appreciate games that don't overstay their welcome, of which I've... played exactly one during the past year.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
Thank you DivingFalcon for getting me interested in 80 Days. Didn't really understand what that was before, but I think I'd like it.

Also, thank you Colins for reminding me to play Yakuza 5. If it really does do a good job of getting you up to speed, I might just jump in (I have 3 and 4, but 5 is the one I want to play most, and I don't want to wade through other games I'm less interested in just to get to the one reason I started in the first place).

Personally, I don't think I actually played anything that definitely came out this year, though I'd have to dig through my backlog to make sure. Not to say nothing good came out, I'm just really, really behind these days...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:41:26 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:29 PM »
80 Days is definitely worth playing. :)
—Kurt Vonnegut

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 12:16:27 AM »
Also, thank you Colins for reminding me to play Yakuza 5. If it really does do a good job of getting you up to speed, I might just jump in (I have 3 and 4, but 5 is the one I want to play most, and I don't want to wade through other games I'm less interested in just to get to the one reason I started in the first place).

You should pop-in 4 and watch the movies packed with the game. It explains Yakuza 1, 2 and 3 quickly and well.
Well, you could skip the movie for 3 I guess if you will play it one day.

It's just that the story of Yakuza carries from one game to the other and 1-5 is 16 years, so starting from nearly the end would be a bit confusing I guess.
Akiyama and Saejima being recurring characters from 4 is also something.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:34:05 AM by Annubis »