Author Topic: The Old RPG games

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The Old RPG games
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 12:54:58 AM »
I've always loved RPG games, ever since FF came to America, but I feel they don't make them like they use to.  I mean, I would play any RPG but now I'm only into Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.  I personally think the old classics were better than the ones we have now days.  However, I stumbled on a software  allowing me to create games like the old RPG's, so that's what im doing.  recapturing the child and why he fell in love with these games in the first place

The Games I liked were

FF 6 and 7
Shinning Force
Suikoden
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (ROTK)

Have you ever tried Exit Fate? It sounds like the kind of game that'd be right up your alley and will also give you an example of what you can make in RPGMaker if you're skilled enough.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
recapturing the child

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I needed this laugh
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Crimson_Arc

• Despite our scars, We're lighting stars
    • View Profile
    • Wielding Honor
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
I've always loved RPG games, ever since FF came to America, but I feel they don't make them like they use to.  I mean, I would play any RPG but now I'm only into Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.  I personally think the old classics were better than the ones we have now days.  However, I stumbled on a software  allowing me to create games like the old RPG's, so that's what im doing.  recapturing the child and why he fell in love with these games in the first place

The Games I liked were

FF 6 and 7
Shinning Force
Suikoden
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (ROTK)

Have you ever tried Exit Fate? It sounds like the kind of game that'd be right up your alley and will also give you an example of what you can make in RPGMaker if you're skilled enough.

No I haven't actually, i'll look it up.  If its anything like the games I liked way back when then im more than willing to check it out
All stories are relevant in the book of life,
no matter how big or how small

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
If you're looking for some more classic styled rpgs, you might want to give the Legend of Heroes Trails series a shot.
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
And considering that a lot of up-and-coming game designers and developers (particularly in the independent scene) are people our age who grew up with the games we consider to be our "golden age" of gaming, they want to recapture that "oh YEAH!" feeling from back when we were kids.  That's why we're seeing the start of a renaissance toward the kinds of RPGs we grew up with.  I liked the demo for Celestian Tales: Old North by Ekuator Games.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the demo for Indivisible by Lab Zero games.  I'm still interested in Cosmic Star Heroine by Zeboyd games.  The Meridian Shard by Victory Forge games piqued my interest a year or two ago and I still need to try out the demo.  Thanks to Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight, GOG's indie marketplace, and even PSN, XBLA, and Nintendo's eShop, smaller, more independent developers actually have more marketplace presence. 

It's kinda like how the folks creating cartoons nowadays are people our age who grew up with 1980s and 1990s cartoons (I'm totally an 80s cartoon kid).  Later seasons of Adventure Time and Steven Universe are good.  And though it became an insufferable phenomenon, the new My Little Pony cartoons were surprisingly good. 

My favorite RPG Maker RPG is still Eternal Eden by Blossomsoft, and To The Moon by Freebird Games is my favorite RPG Maker game.  And I remember getting RPG Maker for Playstation and a DexDrive just so I could play that community's uploaded games.  My favorite was Remote Control by David Erwin/Alzar.  That game actually won a contest in EGM magazine and was a very original game.  So it's great that software like RPG Maker and Verge are out there for the fan community to create stuff.  Just like how independent musicians and studio engineers can create professional quality recordings in basement studios and release their music via bandcamp and such. 

I feel like anyone who says "everything sucks nowadays, it's not what it used to be," isn't looking deeply or hard enough.  It's like how people complain that music on the radio is shitty hip-hop and vapid pop and there is no good rock.  Well, there are plenty of fantastic rock bands out there playing heavy music with talent, soul, and conviction.  They're not high profile flavor of the month, but they are there and satisfying the audiences who want it.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Crimson_Arc

• View Profile
    • Wielding Honor
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
And considering that a lot of up-and-coming game designers and developers (particularly in the independent scene) are people our age who grew up with the games we consider to be our "golden age" of gaming, they want to recapture that "oh YEAH!" feeling from back when we were kids.  That's why we're seeing the start of a renaissance toward the kinds of RPGs we grew up with.  I liked the demo for Celestian Tales: Old North by Ekuator Games.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the demo for Indivisible by Lab Zero games.  I'm still interested in Cosmic Star Heroine by Zeboyd games.  The Meridian Shard by Victory Forge games piqued my interest a year or two ago and I still need to try out the demo.  Thanks to Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight, GOG's indie marketplace, and even PSN, XBLA, and Nintendo's eShop, smaller, more independent developers actually have more marketplace presence.  

It's kinda like how the folks creating cartoons nowadays are people our age who grew up with 1980s and 1990s cartoons (I'm totally an 80s cartoon kid).  Later seasons of Adventure Time and Steven Universe are good.  And though it became an insufferable phenomenon, the new My Little Pony cartoons were surprisingly good.  

My favorite RPG Maker RPG is still Eternal Eden by Blossomsoft, and To The Moon by Freebird Games is my favorite RPG Maker game.  And I remember getting RPG Maker for Playstation and a DexDrive just so I could play that community's uploaded games.  My favorite was Remote Control by David Erwin/Alzar.  That game actually won a contest in EGM magazine and was a very original game.  So it's great that software like RPG Maker and Verge are out there for the fan community to create stuff.  Just like how independent musicians and studio engineers can create professional quality recordings in basement studios and release their music via bandcamp and such.  

I feel like anyone who says "everything sucks nowadays, it's not what it used to be," isn't looking deeply or hard enough.  It's like how people complain that music on the radio is shitty hip-hop and vapid pop and there is no good rock.  Well, there are plenty of fantastic rock bands out there playing heavy music with talent, soul, and conviction.  They're not high profile flavor of the month, but they are there and satisfying the audiences who want it.

Yeah, I've been developing a story for the past 5 years which originally was suppose to be a series of poetry books, until someone showed me the RPG Maker and thought, "if I can get all the stuff I need, I can turn my story into a game."  I do miss the old games though, I'm glad they're remaking FF7.  I was wondering when they were going to do that.  Hopefully the people here will let me share my game when i'm done, i'll have to pm the moderators when it's done.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:38:17 PM by Crimson_Arc »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 01:19:08 AM »
This thread touches upon something that excites me.

That is, I don't want to re-experience old RPG's so much as I want NEW experiences more akin to what I grew up loving.

There has been WAY too much emphasis on paying homage to or recreating the titles of yesteryear instead of fostering anything new by my measure. It got me to the point of being sick of damn near anything I held sacred from my childhood.

Now, the idea of taking inspiration from these old titans of the genre (SNES final fantasy, Mana, Chrono, Suikoden and the like) and creating something entirely new and original is a far more stimulating prospect to me these days that we really are seeing come to fruition. Moreover, the ability for these titles to make it to wider audiences is far more probable than it has ever been.

There is no real point I am trying to make, other than its a great time to be a gamer and a fan of what most of us here appreciate. There are already some real exciting titles on the horizon and, I predict, plenty more to come in the not so distant future. I'd be so bold as to say a resurgence of popularity and new era of the JRPG should not be dismissed as a real possibility.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Crimson_Arc

• View Profile
    • Wielding Honor
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 01:55:06 AM »
This thread touches upon something that excites me.

That is, I don't want to re-experience old RPG's so much as I want NEW experiences more akin to what I grew up loving.

There has been WAY too much emphasis on paying homage to or recreating the titles of yesteryear instead of fostering anything new by my measure. It got me to the point of being sick of damn near anything I held sacred from my childhood.

Now, the idea of taking inspiration from these old titans of the genre (SNES final fantasy, Mana, Chrono, Suikoden and the like) and creating something entirely new and original is a far more stimulating prospect to me these days that we really are seeing come to fruition. Moreover, the ability for these titles to make it to wider audiences is far more probable than it has ever been.

There is no real point I am trying to make, other than its a great time to be a gamer and a fan of what most of us here appreciate. There are already some real exciting titles on the horizon and, I predict, plenty more to come in the not so distant future. I'd be so bold as to say a resurgence of popularity and new era of the JRPG should not be dismissed as a real possibility.
I hear ya, I want to create a game that of course has similarities to the old games but at the same time, completely different than what we're use to.  after awhile, it comes a point when you feel like you're playing the same thing over and over.  I want people to feel like they're playing something similar yet different, and it will be different in many ways

DariaRPG

• Lvl 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
I find I don't play any neo-retro games on steam because with fan translations there's more than enough legit old games to keep me busy for years.
Like smart, indepth reviews of really old RPGs and adventure games? Well then, have I got the YouTube channel for you.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
Well, I just bought Skyborn and have lovingly added it to my Pile of Shame.  I will continue to purchase and not play all of the high-quality neo-retro RPGs that come out.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

arizlaan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »
Hello fan.. It's been along time since I login. Anyways it's been alot time I really have enjoyed a really kick A.. Jrpg. I adore the turn-based combat system. Last rpg games I really liked were Lost Odyssey and rogue galaxy. Hope the new  sukoden game will be good.. Still waiting.
Miss the classic games and game play.

Currently playing bloodborne
god is god

Crimson_Arc

• View Profile
    • Wielding Honor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »
Hello fan.. It's been along time since I login. Anyways it's been alot time I really have enjoyed a really kick A.. Jrpg. I adore the turn-based combat system. Last rpg games I really liked were Lost Odyssey and rogue galaxy. Hope the new  sukoden game will be good.. Still waiting.
Miss the classic games and game play.

Currently playing bloodborne

Yeah, I miss them too.  ive been playing Exit Fate that someone suggested and it's just like suikoden.  gave me an idea for the game im developing... i'm also playing FF7 on my ps3 :) oddly enough, I still like those old styled RPG's... more so than the ones today actually

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 03:54:18 AM »
Yeah I played a good amount of older games, not sure what else to add, there was a lot of stuff that was never brought over that eventually did or just a few ones that were for obscure systems or something. Depending on the game it's often way more fun to just play those than bother with most of what's in the modern game industry whatever that's even called now.

There are exceptions though, of course, games that come out recently I get excited about and play.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.