Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Bye-Bye to Blu-Ray?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Bye-Bye to Blu-Ray?  (Read 2136 times)
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:32 AM »

http://www.gadgetnutz.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=00264

If it's true, I'll be laughing. Hard.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »

I've hated the fact that recently Sony's been using nothing but their own proprietary mediums for their stuff. Hope this is true and we get cheaper PS3s.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »

doubtful they will dump it on the ps3, its too late.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 02:45:10 AM »

interesting but how would they transition people that already own a ps3.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 03:30:41 AM »

I don't trust sources that use contractions when they mean to use possessive pronouns.

alter it's course to more profitable waters.

and again

each with it's own seemingly continuous chain of production pitfalls.

and again!

has dropped the ball in it's own court.

Here's a 3-in-one, along with a typo using "on" instead of "own"

From it's core, the powerful Cell processor,with it's poor production yields, has added pitfalls to it's on rollout that is compounded by the difficulty in mass producing the Blu Ray in the Playstation 3.

And who can forget using a verb as a noun?

The affect

Looks like Gadgetnutz needs a proofreader.

In all seriousness, if PS3 bites the bullet for Blu-Ray, all I have to say is "good." I never saw the good in it.

Ramza

Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »

After reading that post, I have to agree with Ramza...sounds like a lot of speculation and hot air.

A PS3 without Blu-ray is a very stupid idea because that causes the industry to use two formats for their products. Companies with huge games and HD quality graphics are gonna be forced to either cut corners or kill off game elements to make it fit into a DVD drive, that's not smart business. Sony could turn around and put in a HDDVD drive into their systems, but what does that do for the hundreds of thousand units shipped and sold? Its too late to back down from the format race, they have to stick it out.

The article also mentions lucklaster titles at release...hello? Its release. No system, other than the Wii but come on Nintendo had Zelda in the works and was pushed back to modify the game for the Wii, so that's just cheating :P No system truly shines until about a year into its release, that's just fact. So why would Sony be scared now?

A saying that Sony is losing 300$ a unit and dying is bullshit. Sony came into this race /knowing/ they would lose 300$ a unit...it was publicly announced by Sony. So why make it sound so dramatic?

Anyway, a lot of flaws in that article, so I won't believe it until I hear it straight from Sony. And if they do take out the Blu-Ray, I'll laugh, not because its a sign of them seeing their mistake, but because it /IS/ the mistake. You don't win by taking out one of the main features that makes your system unique in the race.

My prediction? Sony's gonna tough it out for a year or so. They'll trail Nintendo, who's clearly shown that their tactic to be the "second system of every household" has paid off, and the 360 will slowly fall behind. After one year of Wii > 360 > PS3, you'll see both the 360 and the PS3 fighting for that "Must own" status with exclusive titles and guess what? PS3 will still own the 360 in the RPG department. So, once you see a lowered price on the PS3, you'll see who dominates who. Everyone I know are just hiding, waiting to see PS3 come back in a year. Not many folk are looking to not play FFXIII...cause once that PS3 hits the 450 range...I'm buying one and I see that happening come next holiday season.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:42:58 AM »

We can all dream of a day when Sony fails.  ^_^

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »

"Its" a crime to try to post an article like this while butchering the English language.  Not too sure how much I make of it though, seems like just a sensationalist piece based on the lackluster sales of PS3, which I doubt are a good indication of the permanent success or failure of the media format.  

Having said that, I suspect HD-DVD will win in the end anyway. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »

I can't believe all you naysayers.  If you can't trust The Bandito, then who CAN you trust?

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 04:09:58 PM »

My sentiments exactly. :P

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »

I really couldn't care either way. Until the PS3 is $200.00 USD (which won't happen for a LONG time) then I'm not even going to consider buying it. I doubt I will purchase the 360 unless there is an unusually massive amount of quality flight sim/combat games, because the rest of its software has thus far left me uninterested. Really the only console I can afford, and would consider purchasing for software is the Wii, and that most likely won't be happening for a long time yet.

If the PS3 were to go under it wouldn't affect me at all. I would smirk at the hamartia of it though.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »

i doubt nintendo could maintain a lead unless there was a mass exodus of third party developers. but thats just my perspective because i wouldnt buy a system  just because its cheaper

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »

Wait....you're saying you dont think Nintendo can maintain a lead unless all third party developers LEAVE?

Uh no comprendo.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

A shame.  Ah well.

I just did a project to "sell" Blu-Ray discs to the class.  I got a good mark, but while researching I realised Blu Ray is pretty shitty (at least for now $$$$).

I always thought Blu Ray was probably more suited for gaming hardware rather than video/media use.  and since I have a budget to meet, I can't say HD DVD is all that bad.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:21:18 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Wait....you're saying you dont think Nintendo can maintain a lead unless all third party developers LEAVE?

Uh no comprendo.

sorry i should of been more clear. gogo posting in the morning about to pass out. i meant 3rd parties leaving sony and/or microsoft.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: