Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334838 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "knights do it two handed"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: "knights do it two handed"  (Read 8245 times)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »

The point of games that don't take themselves seriously is...well...not to take them too seriously, I would think.  Okay, so there are games like the Shadow Hearts series which can't seem to decide whether to be dark or comical.  I'm excluding the first SH game, since that was dark overall compared to "Covenant" and "From the New World".   In that case, I think you've made yor point.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »

Kind of off topic (haven't played this FF yet), but Viva Pinata milks the "massive damage" cow, too.

Pop culture references are getting more popular, I think. Take the "series of tubes" achievement in Gears of War or "I'm the juggernaut, bitch" in X Men 3. Or hell, all of Snakes on a Plane.

[/url]
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Pop culture references are getting more popular, I think. Take the "series of tubes" achievement in Gears of War...

I do so wish I knew what "It's a series of tubes!" meant. It's such a popular quote with my colleagues.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Quote from: "everluck"
Pop culture references are getting more popular, I think. Take the "series of tubes" achievement in Gears of War...

I do so wish I knew what "It's a series of tubes!" meant. It's such a popular quote with my colleagues.

Here you go, Youtube link.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »

It was funny when Deus Ex reffed Nethack.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »

Oh yeah, as far as the comic relief goes, I prefer humor to be interjected not via silly and extravagant characters like Scott and the Professor in Xenosaga, but more along the lines of a lot of what's in Joss Whedon's stuff, like Firefly - good character banter. It helps flesh out characters more when done right, or at least is an easy way to get you more attached to them, and doesn't just destroy the mood. Though depending on the story and the situation, goofy overly whacky characters aren't necessarily unwelcome.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »

I think we can generally agree that Chuchu was unwelcome though.

Mostly because Chuchu was just stupid, and not even comedic relief, I guess.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 12:35:39 AM »

I don't know about that.  I found ChuChu very useful during Gear battles (the only character who can actually heal Gear HP, not just restore Defense).  Other than that, yeah, she was just the cute yet annoying fluffy mascot.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »

I hearted ChuChu. Fuck.

[/url]
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 03:17:11 AM »

I think I can really understand both sides of the "too serious/too funny" debate.  I kinda have it both ways.  I hate things that are too serious, for example the Spawn animated series (which was so serious that its seriousness became funny in and of itself), and I hate pure comedy that you can't take seriously in any degree (anyone remember that cartoon C.O.P.S.?)

But I can't stand parodies in any way, shape, or form.  If Cartoon Network taught me anything its that parodies are the last resort of the uncreative (and I know its funny that so far I've supported all my views with cartoons instead of video games).  Parodies often are only "funny" in that you understand what's being parodied, not because the joke is actually good.  "Oh my god, this has a giant monkey climbing a building!  IT'S A KING KONG SPOOF!  HAHAHA!"  Yeah, right, real great humor there.

The best kind of comedy, IMO, is when the situation or dialogue is inherently funny in and of itself--self-contained humor, in other words.  Stuff like a normally smart hero choosing the wrong words, or a character making one of those boneheaded mistakes that all heroes make, or maybe one of the enemies is a crow that smokes.

"In any event, the context usually makes the meaning clear.  If you're in a restaurant and you ask for hashi, you can rest assured that, no matter how you pitch the word, nobody is going to bring you a bridge."
 --Eriko Sato, PhD, Japanese Phrases for Dummies

Though I find that often, intentional, planned humor doesn't even work that well.  It really has to be spur-of-the-moment or even completely accidental to be truly hilarious.

Yeah, I've totally gone off topic.  But back to RPGs, a large problem with RPG humor is that it TRIES to be funny and usually doesn't work.  At best, it makes the game quirky and charming, but I'm not quite gonna get the hiccups from it.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 01:05:25 AM »

Heh.  That reminds me of the oft heard cries of outrage when jokes and general humor don't get a direct translation in localized games.  I mean, I can understand devotion to the original version and all that, but do people find the original jokes THAT funny?  Same can be said for the localized versions, too.  Then there is the fact that direct translations of japanese jokes and puns are NEVER funny.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 01:10:30 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
Heh.  That reminds me of the oft heard cries of outrage when jokes and general humor don't get a direct translation in localized games.  I mean, I can understand devotion to the original version and all that, but do people find the original jokes THAT funny?  Same can be said for the localized versions, too.  Then there is the fact that direct translations of japanese jokes and puns are NEVER funny.

Yeah. Some jokes will carry over, but those likely don't need many pains in localizing outside of getting the tone of the dialogue right or something (and visual gags are even simpler). But some of these Japanese jokes and puns... If you have to explain it, than it's no longer funny. And many of those things can't be salvaged short of totally replacing with a similar joke.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 02:38:40 AM »

*original post buleeted*

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 02:41:20 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
In other words, Woolsey's jokes were probably no more stupid than the original ones, ehwot?

... Huh?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: