Author Topic: Games so good you got sad when it was over

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Games so good you got sad when it was over
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
So, this is real right....?

I just beat Undertale.  I think I need MORE Undertale because no other game is as funny/clever than it; especially with respect to how it treats multiple playthroughs (or deliberately tracking when you choose to restart a game).

I Beat Xenoblade for Wii and I got sad because no game got me so hooked to exploring every corner of it.

The Last of Us made me sad because you don't get character chemistry so damn good and with such dramatic effect (even despite the simple concept).

I got sad when I rocked Star Ocean 3's secret dungeons because I was the strongest party ever.

Has a game ever made you blue because the excellent experience was over?? :(
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Games so good you got sad when it was over
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:16:03 AM »
So, this is real right....?

I just beat Undertale.  I think I need MORE Undertale because no other game is as funny/clever than it; especially with respect to how it treats multiple playthroughs (or deliberately tracking when you choose to restart a game).

I Beat Xenoblade for Wii and I got sad because no game got me so hooked to exploring every corner of it.

The Last of Us made me sad because you don't get character chemistry so damn good and with such dramatic effect (even despite the simple concept).

I got sad when I rocked Star Ocean 3's secret dungeons because I was the strongest party ever.

Has a game ever made you blue because the excellent experience was over?? :(

Link to the Past. Dat ending music. Nice and melancholic (one of my biggest disappointments with ALBW). Same with Secret of Mana (especially with dat death toll at the end). FFVII too (dat classic series theme before it got all sweeping and epic, I liked it so much more when its subdued). And FE IV Gen 1 (although that sort of doesn't count as its not an ending ending). Then there's Illusion of Gaia and Dragon Quest V (admittedly this is probably the only one that isn't mostly due to melancholic music so much as the actual emotions involved, the music helped a lot though), and I suppose Terranigma goes here too (though more for the fact that I beat the final boss and am no longer listening to its krad final boss theme, the first overworld/underworld theme is better). And I can't forget about Chrono Trigger's Wild Balloon Ride (but that game has a crazy good track list). And on that note anytime Small of Two Pieces and variants play in Xenogears.

I'm kind of a sucker for melancholic music/tunes if you haven't spotted the pattern by now. Its my boss fight's flashing weak point.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »
Hm, hard to say "sad that it's over" with any game because can just play it again... but.......................... I think actually though it's true in general when playing Alundra there was a feeling in the beginning that there was a lot to look forward to and as the end got closer it meant there wasn't much Alundra left (at least that time I played it).

Which I would alleviate oftentimes by playing it again! But perhaps it is the type of phenomenon this thread alludes to no?

I think Alundra also in part because of how it (spoilers) ends, it's also that whenever getting to the end of that game it's like oh no! Not the end of Alundra where the shams hit the fan!

Yep I said shams!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:52:57 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:38 AM »
A recent example for me was Trails of Cold Steel. Perhaps that is less the "game was good" and more "I need to know what happens next!" Damn cliffhanger ending. I need 2 to come out!

Probably had the same reaction to Trails in the SKy, but that was years ago, so I barely remember at this point.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
Okami the first time I played it. I fell in love with the world and its characters so much, and the scene toward the end of the last boss fight was just so incredibly touching. I actually even cried a little because I knew that if we ever got more Okami it just wouldn't be the same because Clover Studio's shutting down had been confirmed by then. No other game had touched me quite so much though a few runners up would be Ocarina of Time and Chrono Trigger.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
Terranigma is probably the worst case I've had of this.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:35 PM »
Okami the first time I played it. I fell in love with the world and its characters so much, and the scene toward the end of the last boss fight was just so incredibly touching. I actually even cried a little because I knew that if we ever got more Okami it just wouldn't be the same because Clover Studio's shutting down had been confirmed by then. No other game had touched me quite so much though a few runners up would be Ocarina of Time and Chrono Trigger.

To this day I get choked up listening to the instrumental version of "Reset ~ Thank You," that scene was just so heart-wrenchingly uplifting. Still resides in my top pick for most emotional moment in a video game.

Anyway, this phenomenon affects me all the time and that has a lot to do with my own personality. Its particularly bad with short series like trilogies. Hell, right now I really want to play Danganronpa 2, but I know I'm going to be really sad after finishing it until I can play Danganronpa 3, or at least until I can afford UDG.

There was actually a tweet going around the other day that I think pertains quite nicely to this thread, it read:
"Have you ever liked a book so much you regretted reading it because you know you'll never again get to read it for the first time?"

Honestly, the game that had the worst such effect on me was Persona 4. They did this amazing job bringing Inaba to life and really drawing you into Yu's year there, and then they threw that simple goodbye ending at you and it really felt like a personal chapter of my life had come to an end. It's why I feel so strongly against the addition of the epilogue in P4 Golden, it really does kind of ruin everything for me.

Other games that affected me in this way particularly strongly: Tales of Vesperia, FFIX, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest VIII, Ace Attorney 3, Radiata Stories, etc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:19:17 PM by Klutz64 »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:05:21 AM »
Other than Shadow of the Colossus? hmmm

The most recent example was BoF IV.  It was the most well made sprite based game I've played in a decade.  Cray's character development nearly drowned me in feels.

Grandia II is the only game in recent memory where I distinctly remember thinking "MOAR POSTSCRIPT PLZ!" (which is nuts when you consider it's almost 45 minutes long)

Ys: Oath in Felghana because it was the most fun experience of a ridiculously fun franchise.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »
I just remembered that I was incredibly bummed when I finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
I'd say I need to get Hong Kong asap... but I have like 3 RPG in the backlog already that need to get done.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:49 AM »
For me it definitely happened for Persona 3, Persona 4, Mass Effect 2, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.  I specifically remembering IMMEDIATELY starting up new games of those four within a day or two after beating them.  I even got a little misty-eyed during the end credits sequences for... I think all of them other than Mass Effect 2?  They're fantastic. 

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 05:31:37 AM »
Suikoden 1 and 2 come to mind. Though the endings was pretty satisfying.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
Suikoden 1 and 2 come to mind. Though the endings was pretty satisfying.

These were my first picks as well, along with Suiko 3. Poor
Code: [Select]
Luc
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 04:02:39 AM »
Any of the Souls series. Those were mountains climbed, rivers forded, and challenges bested. Even with the uneven quality of level desgin in DS2 all games were joys to explore. And even with the new challenge of new game + to me it fells like you can never go home again to me.

Res 5. That was a special bonding moment for me with a new friend. During that game I was introduced to and grew to know that person. The game was fun too. Wonky controls and one cheasy boss aside there's a lot of fun to be had there. Secrets. Upgrades. Megacheese.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
Grandia II is the only game in recent memory where I distinctly remember thinking "MOAR POSTSCRIPT PLZ!" (which is nuts when you consider it's almost 45 minutes long)

I remember feeling like the ending was one of the biggest copouts in video game history:

Code: [Select]
The whole game plays the two women off each other in a love triangle, kinda sappy, yeah, but it works. There's even an incredibly romantic scene with Elena towards the end that makes it feel like things have been resolved. And then... NOPE, Ryudo just takes off for no reason and avoids getting together with either, planning on coming back later to sort it out. I felt this was a huge copout, with the writers not wanting to commit to anything. Really ticked me off. Didn't feel natural either.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
Super Mario World. A couple of hours and I had all 96 Exits cleared and then some. What the hell happened to this game? Even Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't fold that fast. Heck I had 99 Lives by the end of Donut Plains without going out of my way for them. What gives? (No wait, I know the answer to this one. Whenever you restarted a save file, you'd start at 5 Lives, so you were constantly rebuilding your stock for every time you restarted, instead of powering through it in two mornings like I did.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.