Author Topic: The movie was better than the book. wut?

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: The movie was better than the book. wut?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
Re: Lord of the Rings.  I can easily see how many would think the movie is better than the book.  I was one of those for a long time.  I appreciated the intricately detailed and painstakingly described worldbuilding in the books, but it got boring to read after a while.  So seeing the movie made for better pacing.  But I've been reading a lot more dense epic fantasy since then, so I may give Middle Earth another chance and maybe I'll be more into the worldbuilding.  My mom loved the painstaking descriptions in the book (particularly those of Rivendell and the ents).  

Re: Hunger Games.  Having read all the books but only having seen the first 2 movies (I have no interest in seeing the Mockingjay films- I hear they were a hot mess), I definitely think the books are way better than the movies, especially the characterization of Peeta.  In the books, he may not be an alpha-male bad-boy like Gale, but he's still plenty masculine.  In the movies, he was reduced to an emasculated, damsel-in-distress, pansy.  

However, because the books are first-person with Katniss as the narrator, I liked when the first movie cut away to things Katniss could not have been witness to, such as clandestine conversations between President Snow and Seneca Crane.  This feels akin to what I say all the time about The Whale Rider; how the book and movie are from two different characters' perspectives so together the form a cohesive whole.  

This is a difficult thing.  Can anyone read the Jaws novel nowadays without thinking, "Man, it's not the same without the music" or something like that?  If we are to believe the Internet, Jaws is always on that list of movies that were better than the book.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:21:19 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »
I'm not sure anymore if books are better than movies, since I've gotten into a bit of a funk where my memory is fuzzy even after spending a lot of time reading books (to the point where I've had to take notes on my iPad so I can actually write a detailed review). I do still get somewhat annoyed when film adaptations don't follow the book to a point, for instance in the film version of Return of the Ring where there's a lot more in the book that happens after the visit to Mount Doom. I also don't remember there being a flying house on fire in the book version of The Divergent Series: Insurgent. It's weird.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
I never saw the Insurgent movie, but I heard it was not very good.  I liked the first Divergent movie, especially for the part I spoilered in my first post.  That part, at least, was done better than the book.
     -Peppermint Patty

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 05:35:05 AM »
Don't know of any off the top of my head, interesting to see some comparisons here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:37:47 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:25 PM »
The Shining - Steven King may not have liked the movie and the changes but the changes were for the better. My fav horror movie.

LoTR: I tried to start the books about 3 different times, just got bored with them.

2001: though comparing them may not be fair. the book was almost like a companion to the novel.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
I just remembered a few instances of snippets or scenes in TV shows or movies that stuck with me, but weren't in the book.  It's not quite "the movie was better than the book" but it's an offshoot/tangent to the discussion at hand.   

My favorite episode of the Sorcerer Hunters anime is definitely episode 5 "A Dreamy Girl at Lakeside."  That adventure was not in the manga, but it's easily my favorite Sorcerer Hunters anime adventure.  Probably because it sweetly highlighted the trait I find most admirable in Carrot.  (And, no, it's not his impeccable taste in women or his fearless perseverance.)  That being said, the manga is a lot more fleshed out and my favorite Sorcerer Hunter storyline/chapter is one that was in the manga but not in the anime.  In some ways, the anime and manga diverge, but I loved both. 

Kinda interesting how in some movies and TV shows, some of the cooler moments are the ones not in the books.  Like in Godfather, the "leave the gun, don't forget the cannolis" scene is iconic and awesome, but was never in the book.  My favorite scene in the Game of Thrones show was when Jon Snow and Sam Tarly were talking about girls and how Jon didn't want to get a girl pregnant and make another bastard and Sam says, "So... you didn't know where to put it!"  Not in the book, but a great scene.
     -Peppermint Patty

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »
Re: Hunger Games, I found the movies to be OK. I don't remember too much, but I do remember feeling that they left out some pretty important details from the books in the movies. Not that I particularly liked the books after around the halfway point for Catching Fire, but the point still stands. Haven't even touched the Mockingjay movie, cause the book was enough of a hot mess as it was.

Otherwise,I found the Martian to be on par, if not better than the book. The book is pretty much a journal of Watney's ordeal, and while it is hilarious, I found it to get kinda boring to read after a while. The movie gave the story a more personality imo.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
The Big Sleep's film adaptation is probably better than the book. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's stylish as hell, the interplay between Bogart and Bacall is electrifying, and it doesn't have any of the source material's outdated slurs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:12:31 AM by Towns Car Marty »