Author Topic: Rocky and Bullwinkle / Fractured Fairy Tales

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Rocky and Bullwinkle / Fractured Fairy Tales
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
As someone who never really had typical exposure in terms of cartoons, I just discovered Rocky and Bullwinkle.

This is brief and to the point. I need express mondo appreciation for the "Fractured Fairy Tales" segment of the cartoon.

Also worth noting that I am NOT a ninja who generally likes anything comedic but for some reason these things have me rolling.

A quick youtube search yields  a few fractured playlists for anyone wondering what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE288392E5B0D41DD

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Rocky and Bullwinkle / Fractured Fairy Tales
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
As someone who never really had typical exposure in terms of cartoons, I just discovered Rocky and Bullwinkle.

This is brief and to the point. I need express mondo appreciation for the "Fractured Fairy Tales" segment of the cartoon.

Also worth noting that I am NOT a ninja who generally likes anything comedic but for some reason these things have me rolling.

A quick youtube search yields  a few fractured playlists for anyone wondering what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE288392E5B0D41DD

What!? You mean to tell me that the live action movies of Rocky and Bullwinkle or Dudley Do-Right or the CG movie of Mr. Peabody didn't steer you to the majesty that is cartoon Rocky and Bullwinkle? (Or that you didn't wake up at 5AM on Saturday Mornings to watch this before new episodes of Beast Wars came on your local broadcast channel 20 years ago?) How inconceivable!
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
I believe they're available on Amazon Prime, if you have that service.  I re-watched a ton of Rocky and Bullwinkle there not too long ago.  Glad you found them! :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
The one that always stuck with me the most was on the one where the guy married a woman but she got turned into a troll but it was okay because trolls were amazing cooks and this stuck with me because at one point the guy is just eating these beige balls of whatever and like

i really wanted to be the guy what was eating those beige balls of whatever

also i associate this with vague memories of driving around wapak/lime with my parents when I was a young lad and heading the song Jimmy Soul - If You Want To Be Happy on the radio*.

also that episode of Peabody and Sherman where they meet, uh, Custer, and he keeps calling the indians "injuns" and I remember hearing that as "engines" and getting really confused.

oh also the little interstitial animation where there's that earthquake and rocky and bullwinkle fall into the chasm that opens up used to freak me out a lot i thiiiiiink.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Loved this show as a kid! 

This is still my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjRgzFeE_8
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
This has truly been eye opening. I think I need to re-assess just how much standard-classic-cartoon exposure I've had. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am aware of quite a few "classics" but nothing really caught my interest aside from the Rocky and Bullwinkle here.

EDIT: Worth noting I also really like Mr. Magoo (recently discovered it on Hulu)
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
Rocky & Bullwinkle is actually one of the only shows I like from that era.  Not a huge fan of Magoo (might be because I've always been very nearsighted) or Pink Panther (I think it's too slapsticky for me).  I hate Tom and Jerry a lot (they're both too despicable for me to be willing to root for them).  I am guessing you're already familiar with the Looney Tunes stuff like Bugs Bunny.  If you've seen some of that, it's worth looking up top 10 lists and seeing the best of them.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
Rocky and Bullwinkle was tons of fun.. really enjoyed it.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
This has truly been eye opening. I think I need to re-assess just how much standard-classic-cartoon exposure I've had. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am aware of quite a few "classics" but nothing really caught my interest aside from the Rocky and Bullwinkle here.

EDIT: Worth noting I also really like Mr. Magoo (recently discovered it on Hulu)

Its not a bird, plane or frog, but you should check out Underdog (avoid the live action movie, that thing is hot garbage).

Other good cartoons of that era include Mr. Magoo (check out the Christmas Carol special), Loony Tunes (anything prior to the 80s is solid at worst), The Flintstones (some of the spinoffs and TV movies are good, even the first live action movie is good, avoid the second live action movie though), maybe The Jetsons (as long as you accept that there will be no flying cars in the future), Johny Quest (good action/adventure stuff played straight, avoid the 90s CGI/cartoon hybrid), Scooby Doo (anything made before Scrapy Doo was conceived is fun and straight forward enough without taking itself seriously at all), maybe Thundar the Barbarian (mostly for the flavor as it wants to be as good as Johny Quest but just comes off as too camp, but its a good setting none the less), Mighty Mouse, Secret Squirrel and George of the Jungle (the movie's alright, but like Dudley Do-Right, you have to acknowledge that its a different beast from the cartoon).

And for the love of god, check out Wacky Races. I know I recced a bunch of Hanna Barberra stuff above, but this is honestly the single greatest thing they have ever done.

You could also check out things like Speed Racer, Star Blazers and G-Force/Battle of the Planets just to see what Japan was up to with their anime back then.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »
I'd completely forgotten about Secret Squirrel.

Loved Secret Squirrel.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:21:43 AM »
I have to admit, Aeolus remembered a number of good shows I had forgotten.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 04:32:52 AM »
I have to admit, Aeolus remembered a number of good shows I had forgotten.

Admittedly, I haven't even listed all of the ones I could think of. But a good number of shows were of dubious quality back then like Superfriends, Birdman, Space Ghost (Bird Man was alright, Space Ghost wasn't, both though are overshadowed by their more contemporary counterparts), Yogi Bear, 60s Spiderman (the one where the theme song actually came from), Fantastic Four (actually, this one is fairly good and worth mentioning) and so on....

As for Tom & Jerry. I have to admit that I really can't endorse watching it in this day and age as its just too violent for violence sake (not that when Chuck Jones tried to apply actual plots to the show did anything improve, in fact it just got worse). Its just a relic from a bygone era at this point with only historical value going for it. Loony Toons and stuff like Scooby Doo fall into a similar niche where they peaked way back when and attempts at reviving them kinda fall flat (though Tiny Toons ironically got closest since it too was built around parodying Hollywood + pop culture of the day, Duck Dodgers and 13 Ghosts weren't quite as good, and namely due to trying to give the shows actual characters instead of personality cyphers). But I digress....

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:47 AM »
I'll just throw Roger Ramjet into this pot of nostalgia. Not because I particularly liked the cartoon, but because the memory of it was triggered by Rocky and Bullwinkle :)
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »
Loony Toons and stuff like Scooby Doo fall into a similar niche where they peaked way back when and attempts at reviving them kinda fall flat

A Pup Named Scooby Doo separated itself enough from the original show that it was quite enjoyable to watch as a kid.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Loony Toons and stuff like Scooby Doo fall into a similar niche where they peaked way back when and attempts at reviving them kinda fall flat

A Pup Named Scooby Doo separated itself enough from the original show that it was quite enjoyable to watch as a kid.

As in, giving the the other characters an actual personality?
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you