Author Topic: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:04 AM »
I recently saw the DLC/Season Pass pricing fiasco with Fallout 4 and was about to jump on it before the cost increased. I figured I'd better **MAKE SURE** I wanted to play the game since I already dropped it once.  This led me to one of the worst scenario's I encounter with some media (and the point of this thread).

In short, I wanna love Fallout 4 BUT I FREAKIN' HATE IT!! The game doesn't respect my time AT ALL. Everything takes forever in a day to do. In the time I could manage a somewhat rewarding play session with another title, I've MAYBE managed my inventory and reached the threshold of frustration here.

FO4 is a superb game (clearly) but in no way does it prove enjoyable for me personally. This bums me out because I love the idea of it. I want to be enthralled with the time I spend playing it, immersed in my wasteland exploits and not completely frustrated.

So onto the whole point of the post....

What games/movie/media do you WISH you could love, or like the idea of, that become a complete let-down when you actually try to experience them? Here a few of mine real quick.

FALLOUT 4/ (See above)

FINAL FANTASY XIII/ Not only did following the plot jar me, but XIII-2 proved causation for the only case of severe motion sickness I've ever experienced.

D-GRAY MAN (anime)/ Seemed to really be something I would be into. Or at least something I could have been really into 15 years ago. I burned myself out on anime and wish I discovered this series long before that happened.

DISCWORLD (Terry Pratchet Novels)/ What I know of the Disc and Pratchett's writing I loved. But I tried too many times to indulge this media at the worst junctures of my life and just find the thought of it too bitter by association to really enjoy.

SUBTITLES (general)/ I have always been hard pressed to enjoy any movie/show with subtitles. I tend to be a hardcore multi-task sort of dude when it comes to tv watching and movies and you sort of have to pay attention to the screen for subs to be effective. This character flaw of mine has really barred me from seeing and indulging quite a few things that looked otherwise enticing.

Mmmmmkay thats my list to get her rolling. Curious to hear what you guys wanna love but can't.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:40 AM »
This is a cool idea for a topic... I may have to steal it from you and credit you! :D
Also, hate is a bit of a strong word; I don't think I actively 'hate' anything that's meant to entertain.

Elle Goulding/Adele.  I feel like I should like them; both their genre and sound is up my ally.  I think I like two songs at most by either.

Persona.  I like it fine, I just never fell in love. :/  But I'm still excited for P5?... it's weird.

Lord of the Rings (books).  I prefer the films.  Usually I PREFER that books are more detailed, but not in this case.... Not at all.

Tomatos and onions in their natural form.  Fucking texture ruins me.  It's good as a fine processed paste (ie; ketchup, pasta sauce), but I hate biting into tomatos, and I especially hate biting into onions.

Custard Tarts.  It's custard, how can it go wrong?  ..... :(

Zelda Skyward Sword.  So many good ideas.  Wasted by wagging controller for 20 hours, empty sky, silly design choices, and repetitive boss fights and enemies.

Atelier/Disgaea/Gust/Nippon Ichi/etc music.  Their chipper sounds and lovely instruments (picking only the good ones!)...and a surprisingly low song count of tracks I actually like.  It's not all bad of course and I still have songs from these developers/series' in my game playlist, but definitely a case where I love everything about it on the surface and walk away really unimpressed.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:08 AM »
I don't think onions are really meant to be eaten in their natural form!

I used to work with woman who ate raw onions like apples during her lunch hour. Urgh.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:43:00 AM »
Suikoden.  I really want to like Suikoden, but every one I've tried (1, 3, and 5) didn't grab me at all.  Not more than three or four hours into each one, though.  I know 2 is supposedly the best in the series, and I probably will give it a chance eventually.  Just never had a good first impression.  

Final Fantasy VIII.  I was FF-obsessed for most of my teenage years, but never got into FF VIII.  I enjoyed playing every game in the entire series numbered III through X, except for VIII.  I put 35 hours into that thing and I wish I had them back.  

Banjo-Kazooie.  A boring 3D platformer that isn't a quarter as good as Mario 64, or even Ape Escape for the PS1.  Even worse, you had to use the N64's stupid dildo trident controller to play it.  I loved playing 3D platformers during their heyday (early 2000s), but for some reason I could never get into Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, or their cousin Donkey Kong 64.  Tooie was probably the best of those three. 

Guilty Gear.  I adore fighting games, and I'm a fan of a ton of different fighters made by Capcom, SNK, Namco, Tecmo, Netherrealm, and even some of the weird ones by 8ing and French Bread.  I've tried to get into Guilty Gear multiple times and I just can't.  The animations are always pretty and the music is often great, but I hate most of the systems in place and the character designs don't appeal to me at all.  I don't hate ASW in general, though.  BlazBlue (from what little I've played) seems better than Guilty Gear.  I really liked Persona 4 Arena.  

Mushrooms.  Mushrooms are ****ing gross.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:10:32 AM by Monsoon »

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:08:10 AM »
2 is definitely the best Suikoden, but if you didn't enjoy 1 or 5, don't force yourself to play it as it's largely similar to those two games.

I really want to like The Witcher but it just doesn't gel with me.

Also, Dishonored! I love the world-building in that game, but I suck so hard at it that every time I try to play it I just feel embarrassed.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »
The Elder Scrolls series has never sat well with me, although I feel like it's right up my alley. I just can't get on with them. Actually, most WRPGs leave the same taste in my mouth.

Disgaea...I just don't really know. I suck at strategy. That's probably it.

Bayonetta I couldn't get on with, yet I like other action games like it like DMC and God of War. I'm going to give the series another go though.

There's a film that came out a few years ago called Looper with Joseph Gordon-Levitt that everyone was raving about, and I really liked him at the time, so I went to see it but I thought it was predictable and boring. I was very underwhelmed. It looked nice, and I did want to like it.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »
Xenoblade -  Such an interesting premise buried beneath 300 hours of side quests.  At least let me start to know about the characters or something more than a sliver of plot before you give me 48 fetch quests in the first town.

the DS/3DS - I have this irrational hatred for nintendo handhelds.  Can't explain it.

Hugh Jackman - Fuck that guy. 

Pretty much 90% of comic book movies.  Other than Deadpool, the last one that really got me interested was Iron Man.  The first Iron Man.  I keep paying money to go see all of these movies and I keep leaving irritated at how much I dislike them.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:48:46 AM by glassjawsh »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:17:26 AM »

Plenty of people would ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
Adele.

My wife likes her, and I'm cool with her style of music, but I cannot stand her voice at all. It makes me want to punch her in the throat - purely a reactionary thing...

Mushrooms.  Mushrooms are ****ing gross.

Indeed.

Resonance of Fate - It's a bit unique; has a certain style. The battle system is pretty cool...,  but I ended up hating that fucking game so much in the end. I almost regret the time I spent on it.
Aubrey Plaza - Ever since she tried to take Will Ferrel's award out of his hand, I lost all respect for that beeotch. Now, she just seems pompous. I'm glad most of her movies are "meh". Although, to be fair, I do have to admit I like her voice acting in Golan the Insatiable.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
First thing that comes to mind is fighting games. Love the focus on unique character designs, particularly fond of fighting games with lots of unlockables (much rarer these days after the pro community whined about not having access to everything up front), and love watching the elaborate moves and combos when I manage to pull them off. However, I'm terrible at them, I get bored fairly quickly of the characters' limited move sets, and I ultimately regret it whenever I buy one.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
^ I miss fighting games with unlockables. Same with racing games, too. It gave your progress in the game a sense of purpose. Finally being able to use that certain car (or character) was an achievement in itself.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »

Plenty of people would ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HEYO!!!!!
And Yes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
Lord of the Rings (books).  I prefer the films.  Usually I PREFER that books are more detailed, but not in this case.... Not at all.

I lol'd.

Xenoblade ... At least let me start to know about the characters or something more than a sliver of plot before you give me 48 fetch quests in the first town.

There's a SECOND town!?  O____O

My answer would be Etrian Odyssey Untold.
And, you know... parts of it I really DO love.  But.... man, it was just so grindy.  Very slow progression, very slow battles.  It's a game that encourages you to go online and research ways to break it over your knee.  That's not what I want from gaming.  I want to discover all kinds of ways to win, not just a select few broken strats.
Maybe I'll still try and finish this someday....
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Emotional intimacy.
Seitan.
Bernie's economic message.
Trails in the Sky
Myself, in some capacity.
Hemp Milk.
Bronies.
M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Tame Impala
Darius Burst
The Witcher 3
Mac DeMarco's Salad Days
Anything Animal Collective did besides Feels and Spirits They've Gone.
Breyer Stablemates and most of Safari Ltd's horses.
Just Cause 2
Anyone who's ever tried flirting at me.
American licorice, generally.
The 3DSXL's button configuration.
Dune
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
I don't think onions are really meant to be eaten in their natural form!

I used to work with woman who ate raw onions like apples during her lunch hour. Urgh.

This is our former Prime Minister:

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/prime-minister-tony-abbott-eats-another-raw-onion/news-story/6e49e6540be037af4afc699a3c3a2390

Yes, that's the second one.