Author Topic: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Re: The "I WANT TO LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU" Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
This is a cool idea for a topic... I may have to steal it from you and credit you! :D
Also, hate is a bit of a strong word; I don't think I actively 'hate' anything that's meant to entertain.

Zelda Skyward Sword.  So many good ideas.  Wasted by wagging controller for 20 hours, empty sky, silly design choices, and repetitive boss fights and enemies.

Atelier/Disgaea/Gust/Nippon Ichi/etc music.  Their chipper sounds and lovely instruments (picking only the good ones!)...and a surprisingly low song count of tracks I actually like.  It's not all bad of course and I still have songs from these developers/series' in my game playlist, but definitely a case where I love everything about it on the surface and walk away really unimpressed.

No need to credit me. Credit Bethesda for releasing a game that insults me as a player constantly (albeit my fault, not the games) and makes me realize that you can in fact play open world-ee Fallout the "wrong way".

Your skyward sword point hits home with me. Amend and add a slew of other titles ruined by motion controls and tack that on my list.

Nippon music. Yup... Can't stand it. Sold every soundtrack from their LE's I owned actually.

Emotional intimacy.

Myself, in some capacity.

Anyone who's ever tried flirting at me.

I don't care if those were in jest or not. I'll take em. Totally not kidding when I say those are for real additions to my list. Maybe not for the same reasons as the next guy or gal, but I feel like anyone who can't identify a bit with those is not being honest with themselves. My personally spin on the flirting note--- "ANYONE WHOM IS A CLIENT OR PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIP WHO FLIRTS WITH ME"
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
IDK, I would put "anyone who flirts with me" under the OPPOSITE umbrella: "I want to hate you, but I love you."
I'm married, so if I'm flirted with, I of course ACT like I hate it and immediately remove myself from the situation, but I still run away smiling thinking "I still got it."  I don't let myself dwell on it, though.  If I truly wanted attention from multiple different females, I wouldn't have gotten married in the first place.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
IDK, I would put "anyone who flirts with me" under the OPPOSITE umbrella: "I want to hate you, but I love you."

That's because you're not an introvert. At least, not to the extent that some others here are.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »

That's because you're not an introvert. At least, not to the extent that some others here are.

I'm actually right down the middle of the I/E path on the Briggs Meyers scale.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »

Congratulations on being vanilla, I guess...?

;)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
Briggs Meyers is total BS though...

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »
Briggs Meyers is total BS though...
Because it's actually Meyers-Briggs? Or because it's an over-simplification of personality types?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »
MBTI is kind of bonkers, as far as I can tell, introversion, intuition, feeling, and perceiving are all basically the same thing. Extroversion, thinking, judging, and sensing are all basically the same phenomenon.

The idea of duality though is probably more useful, these emotional elements compete with each other and manifest themselves in other people, etc.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:28 PM »
Well the flirting thing is more like

BRO/LADY I AM TRYING TO EAT COULD YOU LEAVE ME ALONE

Cause it's always when I have food

Also this category includes exactly two people. It was at the same restaurant on two different days.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »
Its got nothing to do with intro/extro anything for me.

It simply comes down to "I am not interested and have zero time and this will end with me looking like an ass hole".

I have a distinct trifecta in my life. Art, Health Videogames. I don't have room for anything else. Flirting with me is like sending me an invitation I have to deny regardless of whether I want to entertain it or not. In fact its JUST like Fallout for me.

FALLOUT and (what flirtation insinuates)= two things that entice me but neither of which I can successfully fit into my agenda! LoL

------

Beyond flirting, into the introvert extrovert subject a bit further. I have to be an extrovert for survival and I wish I wanted to be but in truth I HATE IT. So I guess "Being an extrovert" can now officially be part of my list too.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
The last time people tried to flirt with me was awkward. They were teenagers, I was like ten years their senior and they were doing the 'OMG, a potentially fake geek girl, let's test/impress her with our knowledge and skills!' thing. No, wait that was the second to last time. Early the next morning I was trying to relieve some stress with Duck Hunt, and some guy tried to give me a shoulder massage... after doing the 'OMG, a potentially fake geek girl, let's test/impress her with my knowledge and skills!' thing. I think he was legal, but other than that... Yeah, not much of an improvement.

However, I was very suspicious of people who flirt even before that, so it's not as if it changed anything.

Anyway:

-(Most) modern Zelda-games. It's not really hate, but I just can't get into them let I used to.
-Darkest Dungeon. This can die in some dark abyss for all I care.
-Most long-running shonen manga/anime. I just don't have the energy to devote myself to something like Fairy Tail.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 03:51:23 AM »
I'll let you know how I react to people trying to flirt with me as soon as I'm in that situation...

...'cause that's like, never actually happened.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
MBTI is kind of bonkers, as far as I can tell, introversion, intuition, feeling, and perceiving are all basically the same thing. Extroversion, thinking, judging, and sensing are all basically the same phenomenon.

The idea of duality though is probably more useful, these emotional elements compete with each other and manifest themselves in other people, etc.
Eh, as a card carrying INTJ, I don't think I can agree that those splits of the attributes are the same. I am certainly not an extrovert simply because I fall more along the lines of thinking and judging.

I'll let you know how I react to people trying to flirt with me as soon as I'm in that situation...

...'cause that's like, never actually happened.
Seconded. :(

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

Congratulations on being vanilla, I guess...?

;)

If I don't make it through this, tell my wife I said...... "Hello".

Also, have I ever mentioned how incredibly attractive Kevadu and Ranadiel are?  Rowr. *kitty claws*    ....................I just made it worse, didn't I?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
^ You've definitely turned it into a bit of something else.

Well the flirting thing is more like

BRO/LADY I AM TRYING TO EAT COULD YOU LEAVE ME ALONE

You've been hit on by both sexes? You've got mass appeal, my friend. May that carry you for however long you think about it.

Its got nothing to do with intro/extro anything for me.

It simply comes down to "I am not interested and have zero time and this will end with me looking like an ass hole".

Ah, so indifference? Yes, that has been discussed before... Well, at least you save a lot of money not bothering with it in the first place.